LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Timing Chain Install: Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:09 PM

Angry Timing Chain Install: Need Help!

I Have A 95 Z28, I Just Changed The Oil Pan Gasket And Hammered On The Crankshaft Sprocket. I Have A Cloyes Single Roller Replacment, How Do I Put The Chain And Cam Sprocket On While Keeping My Timing Tdc? Any Helpful Advice Would Be Nice!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:30 PM

Re: Timing Chain Install: Need Help!

Originally Posted by austin95z
I Have A 95 Z28, I Just Changed The Oil Pan Gasket And Hammered On The Crankshaft Sprocket. I Have A Cloyes Single Roller Replacment, How Do I Put The Chain And Cam Sprocket On While Keeping My Timing Tdc? Any Helpful Advice Would Be Nice!
I'm not sure I follow your question. Is there a timing mark on the cam sprocket? that mark will either need to be dead center at the top or dead center at the bottom while #1 or #6 piston is at top dead center. The distributor is keyed for the coupling between it and the cam so make sure you get that lined up and the rest will work as I descibed. It makes no difference if you use TDC on #! or #6 piston, but #6 will be easier to see. There is likely a mark on the crankshaft balancer hub but that's irrelevent since the hub will not be installed yet if your installing a chain / gear assembly so you can just look at the piston / rod position since your pan is out of the way. Make sure the throw on the crankshaft is perfectly in line with the rod on whichever cylinder you choose to use as your TDC reference.

BTW: A timing mark should be on the cam spocket but just for kicks, and in case there is no timing mark on the cam sprocket {I got one of those once, and got another set with the cam sprocket mark 180 degrees out, but that little screw-up was covered without disassembly of the timing cover by re-installing the distributor 180 out of time. But that was on a 2nd gen SBC without the opti drive spline. The LT1 set-up won't present that situation. }, you can still time it without any marks anywhere.
Pull either valve cover and turn the cam to the point where the exhaust valve closes and the intake valve starts to open on either #1 {drivers side} or #6 {pass side} cylinder. Turn the crank to #1 or #6 TDC and install the chain in that position. That will time the geartrain correctly. The opti will then need to be aligned correctly with the cam and that will complete your valve and ignition timing proceedure - period.
Have fun!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 PM

Thanks For The Reply, I Guess I Wasn't Very Specific. I Just Lowered The Oil Pan I Did Not Take It Off. No Engine Lift. It Is Bolted Back On, So Now I Dont Know If My Timing Cover Will Go Back On? But First I Want To Get This Chain Delima Out Of The Way I Put On The New Crank Sprocket In The 12 O'clock Position. My Question Is How Do You Put In The Cam Sprocket With No Stretch In The Chain? Should I Try To Put On Both Sprockets At The Same Time? Or Is There A Simple Trick To Get The Chain To Stretch?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 PM

The timing chain should not be so tight that it doesn't give you some play room to get it on there.

As far as getting it on right, it will take a few tries on and off and guessing at which link should go on until you get it dot to dot.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks I Will Try It Out.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:02 PM

Its easier if you rotate the cam So the opti pin is at the bottom, and put on the chain and cam gear. From there you can rotate the gear up into place and bolt it on.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:00 PM

Thanks I Got In On.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 PM

Hammering **** on is also a bad idea. I put on the cranshaft hub and the crank gear without a hammer. Use a map torch and heat them up for a minute, they will slide right on.

Tim