LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Timing chain options for LT1 while KEEPING mechanical WP

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ABA383
The stock chain is plenty strong...I still run a stock one which I replaced in 2005 when we did the cam swap just as PM...Never had any issues with it at all...

--Alan
Same here.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Same here.
There's nothing wrong with that as long as you dont have worn out sprockets.

And Molly, you should take a good look at your cam bearings before you put that huge cam in there cause you're going to have to spin that pretty fast to use it and if those bearings are worn out, and they probably are after 130k or whatever, you might be setting yourself up for a cam bearing failure. Besides, your heads need more porting to breath all that well at those higher rpms. It'll make more power, but it's a mismatch for what you have unless you've done some work on it since I put it together.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 02-13-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
There's nothing wrong with that as long as you dont have worn out sprockets.

And Molly, you should take a good look at your cam bearings before you put that huge cam in there cause you're going to have to spin that pretty fast to use it and if those bearings are worn out, and they probably are after 130k or whatever, you might be setting yourself up for a cam bearing failure. Besides, your heads need more porting to breath all that well at those higher rpms. It'll make more power, but it's a mismatch for what you have unless you've done some work on it since I put it together.
I am having all new bearings put in it. Also the cam I am putting in it will be a mild one, it should be fine the way you did the heads. I'm putting the rest of the supporting mods in too... full exhaust, bigger injectors, MSD opti, etc.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM

OK! Then good luck with it!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM

Have you read up on the MSD opti???

I suggest you reconsider and just use their cap and rotor kit.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Have you read up on the MSD opti???

I suggest you reconsider and just use their cap and rotor kit.
Yeah... so far from what I've read they had an issue with the rotor screws being loose or getting loose after time but other than that I thought they were supposed to be pretty good?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 PM

well if you check the prices you might as well buy a electric water pump and get a regular timing set at least if you were to put a cam in sometime you can get a timing set that is adjustable for under $60 bucks and an electric water pump for $180 that's still cheaper than the lt4 HD.. that just makes more since to me ... and gain power...
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM

There have been a few guys who swapped back to stock bases after trying it.

"supposed" to be good and truely good are two different things, most folks can not seperate marketting from reality.

The stock base on my car has over 85K miles on it, much of that moddified. Had the current setup with the MSD cap and rotor for 2 years 16K miles, before that I had a mild cam only setup.

If you hit GLD or WIR this spring I am sure we will run into eachother and can compare notes, wife is taking an interest too so I should be at the track a LOT.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by poor boy
well if you check the prices you might as well buy a electric water pump and get a regular timing set at least if you were to put a cam in sometime you can get a timing set that is adjustable for under $60 bucks and an electric water pump for $180 that's still cheaper than the lt4 HD.. that just makes more since to me ... and gain power...
The stock set is about $90 or less for all three pieces and IS sufficient. The cost argument though often refered too is completely invalid.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Well either way I'm looking at a new opti, and even with a good price on a Delco opti, plus an MSD cap and rotor, that's more than a full MSD opti costs.. so I might as well go with the MSD. I know of a couple of guys in the area who had a couple Delco optis fail on them and they have put in MSD units and have been trouble-free since...

If you hit GLD or WIR this spring I am sure we will run into eachother and can compare notes, wife is taking an interest too so I should be at the track a LOT.
Yeah I'm sure we'll run into each other there. If your wife is taking an interest in racing, you should bring her there on Ladies' Nite. Totally free racing for the girls FTW!

Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 02-14-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Guys are having the optical units fail in the MSDs. Some of the guys don't say much about it online for two reasons. One they don't want to admit it after they went and claimed it was great for the first month and second they don't want to bother arguing with people who blindly believe in aftermarket stuff.
I should maybe add I have put over 180K miles on my L99/LT1s, I have a little experiance to go off of here.

What cam are you looking at?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM

I decided on a GM847 cam. And don't try to talk me out of it! I think it will be a good cam for my combo. In my other thread, there was a guy in there putting down over 350rwhp with it on stock heads (and mine are lightly ported)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM

peak rwhp numbers don't tell the whole story, you will learn that this spring though I guess.

I have seen what happens when people put cams that size in M6 350s even with 4.10s. The car does NOT perform that well and the drivability suffers and they might enjoy it for a little while but it gets old and they get tired of being beaten by "lesser" setups.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 AM

We will see...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix
We will see...
You're going down a road we've already been down. It's the most common mistake people make when modding a street driven car.

It will make a bunch of power if you like to rev it, but not as much as it is meant to make because of the heads, and it will suck on the street and lose power down low because your dynamic compression will be less than what you have now, but will sound cool as it shakes the fenders off at idle. And you don't care about mileage anyway, so that's a good thing. It will be inefficient at any normal driving/cruising rpm.

However, you do have a good gear for it and you have a 6 speed, which eases the high idle pain a bit. You also have a bit more than stock compression which will help and you will enjoy it more when you run it ***** out assuming the rest of it holds together (rod bearings and bolts) , but that's about it.

Quick Reply: Timing chain options for LT1 while KEEPING mechanical WP