LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tips for porting stock heads.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Tips for porting stock heads.

Any guides or suggestions?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:15 PM

doing good portwork requires alot of practice and alot of trial and error. my sugestion would be you would probably save a few castings if you let a profesional do the work. le or ai ?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 PM

I'm sort of going for a budget build thing, so I'd like some pointers on how to do this.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM

buy a book on cylinder head porting.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 AM

Budget or not, this is not really a do-it-yourself job. You might even lose power.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM

look at all the pics you can and get your hands on as many sets of portd heads as you can.

Basically narrow the guides, blend bowl to the valve job, widen the port at the pushrod pinch then get the best valve job that you can afford.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SHORTSIDE RADIUS until you have a good idea of what it needs to look like and your skills are able to get it like that.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Just finished porting my stock heads my self and got a 3 angle valve job. I noticed a decent amount of power gain. I bought a porting kit from summit racing that is made by standard abrasive. You can search that name on summit's web site they also have a instructional video. I also bought a carbide debur set that makes the removing of material alot faster than the stones you get in the porting kit. I just done some minor porting to my heads which was port matching the IN/EX ports, a little grinding on the short side radius, tear dropping the valve guide, and polishing the EX. ports. It's not as complicated as people make it out to be, but I recommend getting the video for a good reference guide. If you want any more than a basic port job I would recommend some one with some experience. They say Llyold Elliot is the best.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
look at all the pics you can and get your hands on as many sets of portd heads as you can.

Basically narrow the guides, blend bowl to the valve job, widen the port at the pushrod pinch then get the best valve job that you can afford.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SHORTSIDE RADIUS until you have a good idea of what it needs to look like and your skills are able to get it like that.

Originally Posted by Max Lewis
Just finished porting my stock heads my self and got a 3 angle valve job. I noticed a decent amount of power gain. I bought a porting kit from summit racing that is made by standard abrasive. You can search that name on summit's web site they also have a instructional video. I also bought a carbide debur set that makes the removing of material alot faster than the stones you get in the porting kit. I just done some minor porting to my heads which was port matching the IN/EX ports, a little grinding on the short side radius, tear dropping the valve guide, and polishing the EX. ports. It's not as complicated as people make it out to be, but I recommend getting the video for a good reference guide. If you want any more than a basic port job I would recommend some one with some experience. They say Llyold Elliot is the best.
Thanks for the tips guys. I understand a bit about it now but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:31 PM

if you search in shoebox's how to's you may find something on it. Otherwise get a book or video. If you can find a pair of heads real cheap try them out first and see how you do. A little practice will go a long way. Do as much research as you can before you start. Porting cylinder heads is a art.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM

send them to AI
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM

Search on Yahoo or something under Joe Mondello Head Porting. He has a couple articles out on porting basics and they use Chevy SB heads for the article.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM

You would still need to have the heads flow tested to see if your work even did anything, wouldn't you? There are many things to learn and invest your time/money in when it comes to engines, IMO I would leave the artwork to the artists.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:17 PM

I don't think it is an art as much as it is a science most people struggle to understand. The guys that really accel have a gut instinct and a knowledgable mentor.

Just utilizing the ventilation fans at work shows how little the average person understands about low velocity steady airflow.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Just utilizing the ventilation fans at work shows how little the average person understands about low velocity steady airflow.
i think that is a big part of what people missunderstand on this subject, its not all about how much air flows through it how much and how it flows.

lloyd gave you some good tips and some other good sites were mentioned

personally i would just have them done by someone who knows what they are doing
Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM

you need a good air compressor, ( unless you go electric get a variable speed), air die grinder , rotary burr for nonferris metals"die grinder bit" there are diffrent ones for steel or cast vs aluminum and diffrent lengths, head porting kit with sandpaper rolls , scratch awl,wd40 or soapy water

this is going to be messy" BAD " chunks of allu all over the place

use an intake gasket to lay on the ports and scribe the outline of the gasket blend it in about an inch deep

work slowly get the feel for the die grinder its hard to put back what you remove if you mess up

I dont know about unshrouding the valves in the chamber of lt1. youll have to look up the benefits of portmatching the exhaust

I HAVE NEVER DONE A SET OF LT1 HEADS

i have heard the walls are thin. have it in your mind what will happen if you mess up plan on another set of heads . be happy with your results because you did it your self. anyone with money can purchase a set of ported heads . my broke *** will have some do it your self heads. i already have found someone to flow mine when the time comes. I have an extra set if i screw up.

who knows you may be the next one that everyone wants to port their heads

do a search someone has posted pictures before of their work
you can find some one to flow the heads

let the stinky talk begin

Quick Reply: Tips for porting stock heads.