LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Took off valve cover..FOUND THE PROBLEM..what does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:58 PM

Took off valve cover..FOUND THE PROBLEM..what does this mean?

Ok the pushrod is not pushing against the rocker arm..so one arm and rod are jes free floating. What does it mean that the rod has no pressure against it. Does that mean it broke, or that some further inside broke? Sorry I dont know all the parts of the engine, I learn as I go. Im not sure what the pushrod actually connects to.

So what does this mean..thanks.

Last edited by 95BlackTA; 08-22-2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Banned

kinda confusing post, but it sounds like the rocker arm nut has backed off, or you have a collapsed lifter.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 PM

Ok sorry...ill try to clearify.

Took off the valve cover. You have all the lifter arms attached to the pushrods, that go down into the motor towards the camshaft right? Well one of those pushrods that is supposed to go into the back of the rockerarm, is not attached to it anymore. It looks liek its just held in there by force. Well the pushrod is now just free floating, like I can just pull it out if I can get a grip on its oily lil *** lol. So the pushrod is nolonger touching the rocker arm.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Banned

ya sounds like the rocker arm nut came off, is the pushrod bent? is the nut on top loose?

How about some more info on ur setup?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:34 PM

OK the rockerarm nut was still on there, but the rockerarm was free floating, like you can turn it easily with your hand....im not sure if thats because the pushrod was no-longer pushing against it giving it tension?

The pushrod could have been bent...i couldnt pull the whole thing out, i was trying to pull it out, but it was soo slippery, it fell behind the other one and its kinda jammed in there. Tomorrow in the daylight I will take a pair of pliers to it and see what i can do with it.

My set up is pretty much all bolt ons, full exhaust(eldebrock shorties) No internal work at all. It has 63k miles on a 95. I wouldnt think this would be common for this car, but who knows.

Also, im wondering if this is somehow related to the previous stumbling at high speeds..like maybe an injector was bad and somehow caused this...Im not sure if thats possible, jes an idea.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:42 PM

Lightbulb

Get the Rocker arm out of your way. Then pull the pushrod out by hand. It should just come right out with absolutly no issues.... Check to see if the pushrod is bent. It may be since it was floating around in there. Personally I'd go and re-set the valve lash on all of them before you put the covers back on. Who knows if another might come loose or isn't properly set...

Get back to us...
Old 08-21-2003, 11:44 PM

Aight ill do that..one question. If I take the rod out...is it ok to drive the car missing one rod?

Should I take off the rocker arm too completey if it IS ok to drive?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:55 PM

OK....jes pulled the pushrod out...its straight as an arrow, not bent at all. And the bolt on the rockerarm is tight..i tried loosening it a bit, and it was on there solid.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Banned

No, do not drive the car without the rockers adjusted and all pushrods in.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 AM

When you first took the covers off and noticed the problem, do you remember if the nut holding the rocker arm was unscrewed at all? If not then it sounds like you have a collapsed lifter.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by 95BlackTA

My set up is pretty much all bolt ons, full exhaust(eldebrock shorties) No internal work at all. It has 63k miles on a 95. I wouldnt think this would be common for this car, but who knows.

Your sig stated that you have the LT4 Hot Cam kit - that is an internal mod!

Who put the kit in? If it was a shop and fairly recent I'd take it back to them (don't drive it!). I'm guessing that they could've overtightened the rocker and contributed to an early death of the lifter (if that is indeed the problem). I'd pull that rocker off and inspect it for damage while your at it and if it's okay try readjusting the lash on that rocker/rod. Check the others for slack while your at it (try and twist each rod with your fingers). Do a search on here and you'll find instructions on how to set the valve lash. It's not really that hard. If the lifter is collapsed though, then there's not much point. The intake manifold will have to be pulled and the lifter(s) replaced and the valves all readjusted.

Last edited by BitCypher; 08-22-2003 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:10 AM

Nooo....I dont have the LT4 hotcam installed. It doesnt say that in MY signature...I think you were looking at someone elses...
So since I have to get the whole engine pulled apart, this time Im getting it installed. So I guess this kinda turns out be a good thing
Old 08-22-2003, 09:20 AM

Nooo....I dont have the LT4 hotcam installed. It doesnt say that in MY signature...I think you were looking at someone elses...
So since I have to get the whole engine pulled apart, this time Im getting it installed. So I guess this kinda turns out be a good thing
Sorry, it wasn't in your sig but as you stated in the first post on your other thread....

How hard is it to replace a broken spring or lifter rod. Its on the driver's side bank of my LT1. I have the LT4 hotmcam kit with the roller rockers, retainers, and springs. How hard is it to replace this? I have basic hand tools, but does it require anything sepcial to install or adjust?
From your post, it sounded like you already had the kit installed. If you don't, then H3LL yes...get that thing installed!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:41 AM

AHHHHHHH, Yea I see how that can be confusing....my friend typed that up when I was at work, so he was in kinda a hurry. My bad(or shall I say , His bad).