LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

tpis mini ram manifold...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:06 PM

tpis mini ram manifold...?

they say you can gain from around 95-125 hp from this in the higher rpms, but i dont know if this is all a scam? is it worth the $895? if it is then would it be more worth to get this instead of a ported lt4 manifold?
thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 12:58 AM

Re: tpis mini ram manifold...?

The intake is not a scam at all, we just need to clarify what is going on in the add. The Mini-Ram is designed for the sbc (not a LT1) as a replacement for the GM tuned port intake. Thus all gains listed are going from a tuned port intake to the mini-ram on a modded sbc. In all actuallity the mini-ram is not adding 100hp, it's just puting back 100hp that the tuned port's mile long runners can not support. If you read further down the add, TPIS goes on to praise the LT1 intake and offer a simular comparison. I can't see the mini-ram being any better than a well ported gm LTx manifold since the two have such simular runner length. If you have to have one to be different, remember that the intake bolt holes will have to be welded up and redrilled to match the LT1 bolt pattern and you'll have to plug the distributor hole. Bottom line, save your $895.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:58 PM

On the LT4 manifold part of the question, it is in no way any sort of upgrade for an LT1, it is made to go with LT4 heads. The LT1 is not like gen1 motors which typically respond very well to intake manifold upgrades. Several aftermarket companies worked on developing and marketting improved LT1 intakes and failed to develope anything worthy of large scale production. Look elsewhere for performance gains.
Not that the LT1 intake is perfect it is just not the right place to start.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:06 PM

i knwo that its for lt4 heads, cause i wanteed afr 227 heads which are lt4 heads so i was wondering about this, cause in teh bottom comparison they even had a gain for the lt4, so i thought it would work...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:13 PM

I've seen the Mini right up next to the LT4 intake and there does appear to be a little more plenum volume. Other than that, the only other advantage I see is in the added meat above the runners... should you decide to raise the ports at all.

That said, I have heard from a number of people (LT1 & LT4 vette owners) who've called and talked to the head "guy" at TPIS. From what I've heard I'd have to say that this guy is no smoke blower. He will flat out tell you not to buy the intake if you're simply looking for an LT1/LT4 replacement because the gains are so minimal... if at all. Honesty..... what a concept.

If you're really looking to pick up the ponies on the LT1/LT4 then I'd look to a Super-Vic/100º elbow setup. Some nice gains to be had there once you start pushing things beyond the 400 RWHP mark.

-Mindgame
Old 09-19-2005, 07:21 PM

do you have a link to that super vic and elbow setup thing?
thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 PM

The LT4 intake is VERY similar to the LT1 intake so gains over either for the miniram would be extremely similar. Some even go so far as to say the LT4 plenum and ports are exactly the same as some of the LT1 stuff just the LT4 casting has more meat above the port to allow port matching to the raised port LT4 heads. For more reading on that look for more posts by the likes of Mindgame here, arnie, maybe, shoebox, and a few others I am struggling to remeber the forum names of but deserve mention, thgere guys usually end up in the same topics so you will know them when you see them.