LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

TPS voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM

TPS voltage?

so I am trying to figure out exactly whats wrong with my car...

SES light is on, and I was under the impression it was ERG related...

I tried turning off those codes, yet the SES light is still on, and I got a scanner and a logger, havent found one yet that does trouble codes, but none the less...
TPS voltage is at 0... i'm pressed the gas, and nothing changed. is this right?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

TPS voltage has to be between 0.20-0.90V at closed throttle. Anything outside that range will set a code. As you open the throttle, the voltage should increase smoothly with no dropouts or spikes, until it is about 4V higher at WOT than at closed throttle. Anything over 4.9V will set a code.

What scanners and software have you been using that don't pull the trouble codes?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
TPS voltage has to be between 0.20-0.90V at closed throttle. Anything outside that range will set a code. As you open the throttle, the voltage should increase smoothly with no dropouts or spikes, until it is about 4V higher at WOT than at closed throttle. Anything over 4.9V will set a code.

What scanners and software have you been using that don't pull the trouble codes?
I bought Tunercats

and than someone in another thread told me that doesnt do trouble codes, so I downloaded PCMComm
but that apparently only monitors certain specifics, and not trouble codes...
Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Get FreeScan:

http://www.andywhittaker.com/

I'd recommend TTS DataMaster as well, but they have suspended downloads until they sort out the Windows 7 problems.

You can only read and clear DTC codes in pcmcomm with the purchased version, not with the free version.

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-31-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Get FreeScan:

http://www.andywhittaker.com/

I'd recommend TTS DataMaster as well, but they have suspended downloads until they sort out the Windows 7 problems.
Thank you, i'll be back in a little bit with more up to date info...

a lot of the hyper links on Brents page are all no longer working.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:16 AM

okay, sure enough Code 22 Throttle Position Low

where is the TPS so I can ensure it's plugged in?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Its on the passenger side of the throttle body, concentric with the blade shaft. You know Shoebox has pictures:

http://shbox.com/1/tps.jpg
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM

hmmm, its there, and its plugged in...

is that a hard thing to replace?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM

it seems fairly inexpensive, does this often fail? and should I suspect something else has failed, ie. wire harness or something?

looks like a couple of bolts and were back on the road with no problems at all?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM

with the reading at 0 i would be sure to check the wiring to make sure there are no problems there before just replacing the sensor. most times a sensor that is bad will give a voltage reading just not the correct one. but a break in the harness will give you the 0 you have. it could still be the sensor

also if you do end up replacing the sensor it would be a good time to correctly "adjust it" do a search for that
Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Key on, uplug the harness connector. Check between the gray wire and the black wire in the harness for 5.0V.

With the harness connector off, check the resitance of the sensor between the pins where the gray and black wires connect. Then check the resistance between the pins where the blue wire and the black wire connect.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
with the reading at 0 i would be sure to check the wiring to make sure there are no problems there before just replacing the sensor. most times a sensor that is bad will give a voltage reading just not the correct one. but a break in the harness will give you the 0 you have. it could still be the sensor

also if you do end up replacing the sensor it would be a good time to correctly "adjust it" do a search for that
thats what I'm thinking, I've never seen the wires routed as they are on this car, and I think they are touching both the valve covers (dont know if that gets hot enough to melt plastic?) and the alternator...

but there is already some electrical tape covering the wires... so i'm curious what that is about... probably another day, I'll go to the store and get a voltmeter, something that I should have anyway...
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
thats what I'm thinking, I've never seen the wires routed as they are on this car, and I think they are touching both the valve covers (dont know if that gets hot enough to melt plastic?) and the alternator...

but there is already some electrical tape covering the wires... so i'm curious what that is about... probably another day, I'll go to the store and get a voltmeter, something that I should have anyway...
The "tape" is a clue. Wondering if someone already broke into the insulation and now there's a short to ground.

A digital volt meter is a great addition to your diagnostic tools and will come in handy over and over. Good move to buy one.

Once you get a 5v reading as Injuneer recommended you'll need to use the Blue wire to check for the correct TPS operation. That's done with the connector plugged in, ignition "ON", engine "OFF".

Keep us posted.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 AM

so being as I'd never used a voltmeter before, at least personally, watched my dad plenty of times...
I used a AA battery to verify i was on the proper setting: AA battery read 1.590 volts (rated at 1.5)

checked between black and grey, got 0v sometimes the (-) symbol would show
checked between the black and the blue, i think it came back with .03v or something really small...

I did not bother to check resistance, 1.) because my voltmeter instructions are in German, 2.) I did not have the readings that injuneer said I should have for the wiring harness. To add to that, dangalla said usually when the TPS fail, they are inaccurate readings instead of zero. So a high probability suggests its the wire harness or the plug itself.

so... probably a foolish question, but where do i find a broken wire, seems like a needle in a hay stack quest...
where do I start?

Last edited by NewbieWar; 01-03-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
so being as I'd never used a voltmeter before, at least personally, watched my dad plenty of times...
I used a AA battery to verify i was on the proper setting: AA battery read 1.590 volts (rated at 1.5)

checked between black and grey, got 0v sometimes the (-) symbol would show
checked between the black and the blue, i think it came back with .03v or something really small...

I did not bother to check resistance, 1.) because my voltmeter instructions are in German, 2.) I did not have the readings that injuneer said I should have for the wiring harness. To add to that, dangalla said usually when the TPS fail, they are inaccurate readings instead of zero. So a high probability suggests its the wire harness or the plug itself.

so... probably a foolish question, but where do i find a broken wire, seems like a needle in a hay stack quest...
where do I start?
At least for me it's very important for you to list, in detail, exactly what you did - step by step. If you don't I'm put in a position of "assuming", never really KNOWING if you taken ALL the correct and required steps. See what I mean?

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day 20 May 2010!!!

Quick Reply: TPS voltage?