LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 03:40 PM

Traction control

Hi
I’m a long time corvette and impala ss guy. I recently acquired a 95 trans am 6 speed vert as my daily driver. I think this site is great, there’s an incredible amount of information posted.
I have read with great interest the posts about removing and disabling traction control. My car had the traction control pile of crap on the intake manifold. I did a great deal of testing on my car with both the traction control ebcm and a non-traction control ebcm I got on ebay. the number of pulses required for abs in a non traction control car with a single reluctor in the differential is different than the number required from both rear wheels in a traction control car. In my car the non traction ebcm would allow the rear wheels to lock up when I slammed the brakes on. I examined the service manual carefully to find an answer. One of the only ABS/traction control dtcs that disables traction control but not ABS is DTC 164 (adjuster motor open circuit). I disconnected the 2 wire connector to the adjuster motor on the intake manifold to create an open circuit and it worked. (really easy to do) The traction control fails the diagnostics on start up and disables itself. ABS and cruise are unaffected. No pcm computer dtcs! I ordered non traction throttle and cruise cables from dal and removed the lump of crap entirely.
Other interesting stuff
My 9c1 caprice which a mechanical fan and runs at a constant temperature (180) has few of the heat related failures which seem common to the electric fan cars where the temperature varies between 180 and 225 . (75 k miles original water pump, ignition module, coil, plugs wires, etc).
The 9c1 and caprice have a much larger heat sink on the ignition module, I think spacing the module off the head is worth while.
After reading many posts I replaced my steel drive shaft with an aluminum one, major improvement.
Throttle body bypass and cleaning throttle body, major improvement.
Cleaning maf with electronic cleaner, major improvement.
I installed a csi water pump when I changed my opti and my car ran hotter. Turns out the 2 air baffles in front of my radiator were missing. Got a set and the problem was solved .
Thanx
Bob