LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Transmission Problems - MORE PERFORMANCE INC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:25 PM

Transmission Problems - MORE PERFORMANCE INC

Well, from the day I bought my Camaro it had a busted 3-4 synchro. Two days after I had it it popped out of third. It was no big deal though. I knew it would need to be replaced, and started saving. Well, on my way to the beach last summer it got stuck in 4th gear. I made the 4 hour drive home stuck in 4th and totally fried the flywheel in the process.

I took my car to More Performance Inc. in Charlotte, NC. I was told they were the best. I told them I wanted a full T56 rebuild and a Spec Stage II clutch. I had a repair bill of over $2800, which was over $1000 more than originally quoted, but I was satisfied nonetheless.

You can understand my sheer horror when the transmission was broken again not two months later. I took it back to More, where I was told that some piece had broken and they would cut me a "real deal" and rebuild it for me for only $400. Well, I paid, reluctant, but honestly I needed my only means of transportation.

Not 2 weeks later, the car got stuck in 4th AGAIN! This time I took it back and they told me it would be an ADDITIONAL $500! I told them this was unacceptable and that I was not going to pay them a dime. After much debate on their part, they reluctantly fixed the car, after the parts manager badgered me and accused me of going to the track every week, in which case the car had not even been since the very first rebuild, much less on a weekly basis.

So now, a couple of months later, the car is broken again. Guess whats wrong? The 3-4 synchro.. The same thing as every other time.... I can still drive, but I am unable to use 4th gear at all now, for fear it will get stuck. I write them a letter certified mail, telling them I want my money back or a new tranny from GM (Which I could have afforded by now) and what do they do? Ignore me. They have yet to respond, for over 2-3 weeks now.

I have since filed a complaint with the BBB. These guys are real scammers. They do not stand behind their work! They are horrible! The owner Mike refuses to back up his product despite the THOUSANDS of dollars I have paid him.

The car sees no track time. It has a ripper shifter and makes a MODEST 300 some odd ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. Even if I beat the **** out of the car there is no way I should be able to break it in such a short period of time. The car is babied in every way possible, only because it is for sale, and I want to get rid of the damn thing, and yet I am still here, talking to you with a broken transmission.

Who knows how long it will take for my BBB claim to go through? Anyone have any other suggestions? I am probably going to buy a junked T56 from the salvage yard for the mean time since I have no other real options...

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MORE PERFORMANCE INC. THEY DO POOR WORK, DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK, AND HAVE THE ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE POSSIBLE.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:06 PM

dang that sucks. I say get a good lawyer and sue them and get your money back. It is wrong how some of these performance shops really rip people off. Hope everything works out.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:08 PM

I wouldn't even bother talking to them anymore. Like badblackta mentioned, you need a lawyer. Using your documentation, he should be able to prepare a threatening enough letter for them.

That's one piece of correspondence they will not ignore.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:01 PM

Yea, I'll agree with you on not doing any business with MORE PERFORMANCE. I had a real bad experience also with their customer service also...but yours was worse Good luck man.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:41 PM

Cool

Usally small claims court (in California) ,might help for monies under $5000.Did you get any warranty?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:06 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your problems there. I've had work done there on several occasions and received excellent work and had no problems. I hope you get it resolved quickly and back in good running order.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:40 AM

Bumped just for the sake of warning people...
Old 02-06-2004, 11:23 AM

Wow...thats almost unbelievable! I know a couple guys there and they all work there so maybe I should ask them whats up? PM me with your info and I'll see whos worked/ing on it. Maybe we can make this better!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:55 AM

Oh boy, don't get me going with Poor Performance Inc.
I know we have some great members here that have had good experience with them, like Don, and Carl, but let me tell you, it's all true what you all have read so far. Mike at Poor Performance, DOES NOT stand behind his products and or service.

For one thing, anytime you've gotten work done at any place, you should at least be given some kind of warranty. Not just pay again two weeks later, to have the same work done.

In my particular case, they messed up my PCM, they sold me a head/cam package, with a defective head. They hogged the S**t out of one of the ports, and upon starting the car for the first time, we've heard a pop sound, and the car never run right. I called Mike, hoping he will guide me in the right direction, and give me some advice, but he never did. We took the heads out because the misfire was driving us crazy as a last resort to figure out the problem. That's when we saw a couple of small holes on the head ports, and I immediately called Mike to let him know about it, but he wasn't going to do anything about it. I got screwed, and lost all my money on their head/cam package. My car never run right. They kept my good heads as a core, and sent me some junk!

DO NOT do business with More Performance. They will not stand behind on anything they do. If you do, just pray things will come out fine, so that you won't have to find out, what they really are about!
-Goose
Old 02-06-2004, 01:34 PM

MORE Performance is a joke. They are overpriced and from what I have heard they have a bunch of hacks working there.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:56 PM

LT1 Bunny, I guess you live in Charlotte? How do you know these guys? I would not be unwilling to try to go through you if that would be a potential way to get this resolved.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:27 PM

Small claims court (no lawyer needed) and a second opinion (so you have expert opinion) are what you need my friend.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I guess I am going to have to find out about going into Small Claims court, and gathering evidence if they do not resolve the issue ASAP.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:06 PM

Well, I got the letter back from the BBB today in the mail. Not suprisingly More has blamed this entire incident on me, and said I am breaking the transmission. I can assure you the car receives no abuse. So all that effort was to no avail.

NOW I CAN FURTHER ADVISE YOU THAT THESE GUYS ARE TOTAL AND COMPLETE SCAMMERS!

I will be seeking legal action this week, be it by small claims court, or via an attorney. I am GOING TO GET MY MONEY BACK. PERIOD. I AM TOO YOUNG, TOO POOR, AND HAVE TOO MUCH COLLEGE STUFF TO PAY FOR TO GIVE THEM $3000 to burn to make Mike O. at More performance a rich man.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by 4S Concepts SS

I will be seeking legal action this week, be it by small claims court, or via an attorney. I am GOING TO GET MY MONEY BACK. PERIOD. I AM TOO YOUNG, TOO POOR, AND HAVE TOO MUCH COLLEGE STUFF TO PAY FOR TO GIVE THEM $3000 to burn to make Mike O. at More performance a rich man.
Again, sorry to hear about your problems. Please keep us posted about how it goes in small claims court.

BTW, I've never experienced the BBB resolving anything. They seem to be more of a sounding board and just document the complaint and the response.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems - MORE PERFORMANCE INC