LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Transmission swap clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 01:59 AM

Transmission swap clutch problem

I've just finished installing a T56 in place of my 4L60E.

The master cylinder that came with the kit was cracked, so I posted on the board here and was able to get a used one from another member. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line the little rubber seal that goes on the end of the hose got lost. So I used some teflon tape on the end of the hose, and it seems to have sealed pretty well.

So I go to start the car in neutral, and everything's fine. Then I try to put it in gear, and it won't go at all, into any gear. I could feel pressure in the clutch pedal, but after about five minutes, it went away. I checked the master cylinder reservoir, and it was empty.

So my question is this: Is it likely that the only reason I can't go into gear is becasue the clutch won't disengage due to lack of line pressure in the clutch line? Or did I set up the clutch incorrectly? (It's the first one I've done.)

FYI I used the clutch that came with the swap "kit" becasue it's been like two years since I've driven a stick and I don't want to screw up a new clutch relearning how to drive.

Also, I can engage every gear smoothly when the engine is off.

Please someone help! It's been nine days sine I started this project and I really want to drive my car again!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 02:04 AM

You've probably got air into the system. Try filling it up completely and bleeding the air out.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 PM

I'll try that. If it's still no good, what should I do next?

My friends seem to think it's the lack of the rubber seal on the master, and I suspect that might be the case. I just hope I don't have to buy a new master cylinder just to get that one little part.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:38 AM

I haven't had to buy anything for my master cylinder yet, so I'm not sure if you'll have to buy a complete assembly. I'm pretty confident you've got air in the system though.