LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Trick flow elbow for lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Re: Trick flow elbow for lt1?

Okie dokie
Don't believe higher air temp will effect performance.

Don't believe that cooling an aluminum tube allows it to pick up more energy and pass it into the air.

It's been explained over and over again. The explanations have been based on solid mechanical principles. That's all there is...

Have a nice day....
Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM

I know that higher air temp affects performance.

I don't believe that there is much of an effect on the air passing through the elbow once it has drawn out the heat that was initially there.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by calaban
I know that higher air temp affects performance.

I don't believe that there is much of an effect on the air passing through the elbow once it has drawn out the heat that was initially there.
So the hot air surrounding the tube won't try to heat it again? Nature hates a differential and heat will flow. Been said so whatever...

Done...
Old 05-10-2011, 12:21 PM

For all this debating, only Injuneer has posted any figures or anything. Even then I agreed that it was possible. But there are many things that are possible that may not be the case.

I do know that hot air makes less power.

I do know that aluminum is a great conductor.

I do know that the air moving through the inside of the aluminum will make it cool to the touch.

I don't know that there is enough heat transfer from outside the elbow to inside to cause the internal air temp to increase enough to cause power loss.

I do know that since the elbow is cool to the touch that the air inside pulls heat away faster than the hot air outside can replenish it.

So, does that mean at a higher rpm the air passing through the aluminum elbow is not heated up measurable because once the heat pulled away its gone it's not replenished fast enough by the outside air to maintain a high surface temperature?

I'm not an engineer, I'm just saying from observation, if the heat being absorbed into the elbow equal to the amount of heat being pulled away the metal would stay at the ambient air temp. Since it doesn't, the air has to pull heat away faster than it can pull it in from the external air. So once the elbow is at it's coolest temp, how much heat is even contained in the elbow to be transferred into the air passing through it.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm not playing devil's advocate, I seriously want to understand why. I've seen no dyno comparisons, No air temp readings, nothing but it being said an aluminum elbow will cause a measurable power loss compared to the rubber 1le elbow.

I'm not disputing that it's possible, I just would like to see the evidence before I say I 100 percent agree.

At Idle I say yes power loss from hot air, Elbow is hot to the touch.

At Higher RPM, elbow cool to the touch, I say there is very little if any difference between a rubber 1le or aluminum elbow.

Bad for drag racing yes, bad for road racing undetermined.

Last edited by calaban; 05-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nintythreeZ28
i still stand at the point of it is smoother air flow to the throttle body because that annoying resinator tube jetting down behind the radiator.
The 1LE does not have the resonator tube.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 AM

Previous posts have suggested using rubber for regular cars,and aluminum for blown cars.The air travels about 200 mph into the engine anyway.But,temp.readings from previous posts have said the metal holds on to the heat a lot longer than rubber.(I can touch a hot engine rubber elbow for 5 seconds,but aluminum?My)02.)Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Can someone dyno this so we can have an end answer once and for all?

What I'm getting that is if my stock elbow isn't ripped, just leave it alone...?

Last edited by Dave88LX; 05-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Can someone dyno this so we can have an end answer once and for all?

What I'm getting that is if my stock elbow isn't ripped, just leave it alone...?
Sure, go ahead....