LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

trick flow guidplate problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:45 PM

Exclamation trick flow guidplate problems

so i have the mods in sig, when i got the motor together i had a horrible "lifter tick" that i could not get rid of, i tried adjusting the valves multiple times and the noise got better and worse each time, i also rechecked the pushrod length and that was fine

finally i started pulling everything apart and when i removed the guidplates i noticed the back side of the guidplates were wearing pretty bad but only the back three on the passenger side of the motor, so i showed my buddy who ownes the local machine shop and we decided that the best thing to do would be to "end mill" the inside of the guidplates to make more room on the back side

well i got it all together today and the problem is fixed now, just wanted to post this to see if anyone else had a problem with these and to put this info out there incase anyone runs into this
Old 09-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up... I am currently looking at interference from between my pushrods and cylinder heads on two cylinders on each side. Intake cylinders 2 and 6, exhaust on driver's side (can't remember which two). Are your LE2 heads GM heads that are modified, or are they aftermarket and modified?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM

I run TF plates, I took a 4 inch grinder to mine. The pushrods would have hit if I hadnt.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:26 AM

pics of what you're mod is before/after since its a little hard to visualize?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

Hopefully you didn't go thru the case hardening on the guideplates with the end mill. That would not be a good thing and could easily eat up a pushrod or the rest of the guideplate. One of the many reasons I use the Isky Adjustable Guideplates instead.

BTW what's up Josh? I've been MIA lately in the shop
Old 09-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
pics of what you're mod is before/after since its a little hard to visualize?
I will get some pics up in a little bit. I wasn't smart enough to think to take pics while I was taking the driver's side head off, but got some on the passenger side.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jim D
Are your LE2 heads GM heads that are modified, or are they aftermarket and modified?
stock heads ported

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Hopefully you didn't go thru the case hardening on the guideplates with the end mill. That would not be a good thing and could easily eat up a pushrod or the rest of the guideplate. One of the many reasons I use the Isky Adjustable Guideplates instead.
well the part that was milled should not be contacting the pushrod at all, i know its hard with out pics but visualize a U that is the inside of the guideplate, the bottom of the U is where it was contacting and where was milled

but thanks for the input bret
Old 09-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
BTW what's up Josh? I've been MIA lately in the shop
Nada been spending too much time at siu, I got the 440 mopar with efi together and on the road, pm me which email you check regularly and i'll send you some shots of it. first time at the track it lunched the 4 speed so we put a tko-600 in it then it fragged the drive shaft, the next week it fragged the rear, the owner is out of money for now though so its shelved until next season. Which is fine because thermo is kickin my ***.

/thread hijack