LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Trick Flow head Idea????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Trick Flow head Idea????

I know that the Trick Flow Heads (TFS head) is built for a Low Compression motor (supercharger setup) but with a Mill job and a thicker gasket can't the Compression ratio be set to about whatever you want???? The reason I ask is THESE heads flow about 255-260 on the intake side from Trickflow, with a Nice Port job I can see 290 out of them Maybe more. Our stock Lt1's seem to flow around 215 and the Ls1 and Lt4 's are around 240.

I don';t know a great deal about heads so I am no expert by no means. But I would think for less than a Few Hundred you can have a trick flow heads have a 10.8 compression ratio and a get advance induction to do there $675 stage 3 port job and be around 290CFM on the Intake.

The reason I wonder all of this is becuase I am getting heads very soon and I am thinking about picking up a pair of these TFS heads Bare for $850 from summit getting the Manley valves put in $100 and then getting a better port job and a mill job to give me the compression ratio I want. Then I can sell my old heads for about $250. So in reality for around $1700 I can have a 10.8-11.1 compression ratio with a head that flows around 290.

I may be wrong But i think I heard Phil at advance induction say that Trick Flow heads can have some unblieveable numbers throught the midrange as well.

If you think about it, if guys like Phil and Lloyd can get OUR STOCK lt1 215 CFM castings to flow 275 CFM in the intake. what could they do FROM 260CFM???????????

Let me know what you guys think, I am up for any suggestions or ideas
Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Re: Trick Flow head Idea????

Originally posted by T/A KID
I know that the Trick Flow Heads (TFS head) is built for a Low Compression motor (supercharger setup) but with a Mill job and a thicker gasket can't the Compression ratio be set to about whatever you want????.....
I think you will have a problem increasing the compression ratio with a "thicker" gasket.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:40 PM

Is it a thinner Gasket setup. This is what I have heard maybe you can confirm this being true or not. But Can't gasket thikness change the compression ratio somewhat.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:20 PM

What Injuneer is trying to say is a thicker gasket will reduce the compression ratio. For increased compression, you want a "thinner" head gasket.
As for the TFS heads, I say go for it if you have the money. I haven't seen or heard of anyone using the new TFS heads on their LT1, so you can be a pioneer and share your results with us. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:46 PM

I say try it. If you don't get 290 you will still have decent heads that flow atleast 270 I would say. Which is what you would end up with if you spent the 1700 dollars on LE or AI heads (if not more).

I would try it myself but I have to get a 12-bolt on first.

If you do this let me know how it turns out because that is a pretty good idea.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:38 PM

the idea does make sence so try it... if you have the money. i dont have the money so i wont try it. im always looking for new ways to do silly things
Old 04-01-2004, 05:40 PM

advance induction to do there $675 stage 3 port job
I was unaware they had a Stage 3?!?

Econo-port and Full-port.

--- Phil <phil@skarodom.com> wrote:
I haven't had any of the trick flow stuff.. But I'd like to try working over a set. I'd guess they're similar to an AFR 195 as far
as what can be done with them, but I really dunno yet...

You still have the same power goals etc. in mind?
Old 04-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Administrator

You might want to ask Trick Flow if they recommend milling the heads as much as is required to get the CR back up even to stock, or higher. Take too much off the heads and you screw up the intake manifold fit, requiring cutting new angles on the mating intake port flanges. And, how close does milling the head that much put the valves to the piston? And, is there enough metal in the heads to mill that much off?

If you really think about it, all Trick Flow has done is take there standard Gen 1 SBC head, and relocated the coolant ports and intake manifold bolt holes for the Gen 2/LT1. They come right out and say the heads flow the same (Gen 1 and Gen 2) because that is all they did. If it was so easy to "recover" the compression ratio, why didn't Trick Flow do it, so they would have a head that would interest ALL LT1 owners, and not just the small percentage of blower owners? Think about it.

AFR did the same thing.... but they took the time to add some metal to the roof of the combustion chambers to get the chamber volume down. There are a few knowledgable people that will tell you that the AFR's have problems, because doing this, without moving the plug, has shrouded the plug. Maybe TF didn't want to wrestle with this problem. Who knows?
Old 04-02-2004, 12:26 AM

A really good port job on a stock LT1 casting should approach 290 on the intake. And by the time you spend the 1200 bucks for the trick flow heads and another 1000 in porting them, you could have ported your stockers and saved a boat load of money. But give the trick flow heads a try and let us know how they work.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:46 AM

I wouldn't get the Trick Flow's larger CC head unless I was building a stroker where I could pick a piston that was made for a larger CC head. Even still, unless you're going blown/turbo/nitrous, I'd stick with stock castings...I'm pretty sure I read the Trick Flow's, like the AFR's, have a thicker deck surface...

Up to you though.