LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tried just about everything motor still wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: Tried just about everything motor still wont start

Ok I finally got a chance to try and figure this out. I hooked up the original MAP sensor, checked for voltage from the PCM to the opti (it was good), but still haven't gotten around to hooking up the fuel gauge I have a gauge but lost my allen key to hook it up to the aeromotive regulator. Tried to start it but it still backfired with no start but this time a code came up 'P0372 timing reference high' I have no clue what this is but I'm guessing it has to do with the opti or the harness. The harness is brand new I got it with the opti last week so I'm rulling that out and thinking that I must have gotten a bum opti and need to replace it again, it has a lifetime warranty so the only trouble will be taking off the pullies and the pump one more time. Is there anything else this code might indicate that I need to check for?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator

P0372 is loss of the high resolution pulse signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. Should still run without that signal, since the PCM can time the injectors and the ignition from the low resolution signal, with just a minor loss in timing accuracy. Fatal code would be P1371 for loss of the low resolution signal.

Check the harness to make sure its fully engaged in the Opti, and that there is no pin damage.

You mention an Aeromotive AFPR.... definitely need to check the pressure. They seem to be very prone to failures.

Why do you need an Allen key to test the pressure? You should still be connecting to the Schrader valve, not the FPR. The Allen key is used to adjust the pressure maybe?

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-18-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Just a couple of observations......

Originally Posted by lymlyt96
still haven't gotten around to hooking up the fuel gauge I have a gauge but lost my allen key to hook it up to the aeromotive regulator.

I must have gotten a bum opti and need to replace it again, it has a lifetime warranty
The gauge does NOT hook to the FPR. Allen wrench is insignificant. Aeromotive FPR, as pointed out, are crap. Check the pressure. If it's not right, draw a vacuum on the vac line to see if it holds.

The only optical distributors that have a lifetime warranty are those from cheap (read crappy) auto parts stores like Advance or AZ. They should be avoided on nearly all electrical items. Don't let a warranty fool you into a false sense of security. Sure you can get a replacement anytime you need one. The problem could be you need one while going 55 on a major highway. Or several miles from home.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM

I need the allen key to unplug the remaining valve on the fpr, I was planning on screwing the gauge directly into there because I no longer have the shrader valve my lines go directly into the rail. I did re-check the harness to make sure it was fully seated but in order to check the pins I'd have to take the pump off if I do that I'm gonna replace the opti just for the hell of it. I also read that the P0372 code could mean a damaged PCM so I got a new one and I'm gonna try and get it flashed today.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Re: Just a couple of observations......

The only optical distributors that have a lifetime warranty are those from cheap (read crappy) auto parts stores like Advance or AZ. They should be avoided on nearly all electrical items. Don't let a warranty fool you into a false sense of security. Sure you can get a replacement anytime you need one. The problem could be you need one while going 55 on a major highway. Or several miles from home.[/QUOTE]

At one point or another I've had every "good" brand of opti take a dump on me so I figure if any opti can go out on me I might as well get one I dont have to pay for when it does go out I just gotta make sure I got my tools with me everywhere I go.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 PM

Wanna thank you guys for the help I got it fired up tonight, ended up that the dowel pin wasn't lined up correctly. I took the PCM back and decided to go back and check the opti because it kept buggin me that when my friend put the opti on it slipped right in he didnt adjust it to line up the pin and I know thats damn near impossible to do on the first try. I also looked up an old thread here where someone was having the exact same symptoms as I was having and he had to go back in and line up the pin correctly so that gave me the motivation to check it out and when I pulled it off I noticed the slot on the opti was at the 10:00 position and the dowel pin was opposite of that.