LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Troubleshooting car that wont start..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Angry Troubleshooting car that wont start..

Car all of a sudden wont start.
Power is getting to the starter so thats alright. I can hear the fuel pump so that's ok. I have full juice when I turn it over and it seems like she wants to turn over but i"m just not hearing the combustion/spark. I checked the coil, ground and connections ok. I pulled a few plug wires and placed a spark plug I had laying around in the boot. I had a buddy turn it over and "zap" ouch..yes im getting spark. I checked all the spark plug wires & boots, fine. I checked dipstick and oil and that seems to be fine. It's a little rusty but it looks fine. I had the car flushed two years ago when I did my new water pump and stat. I've never had coolant probs and still dont. No high temp problems either.
Anyhow...On monday I'm about to pull the spark plugs and see what I find on the other side. My buddy asked me if I blew a head gasket but my car was perfectly fine the day before. No loss in power, no SES light, no white smoke. So...? I'm thinking it's becuase my spark plugs are bad. I drove it all the way down to Empty and then filled her up with 76. Next day she wouldnt start. I've tried several times to get the car sarted. Tried pulling all the connections and then re-plugging them incase any were loose. I even sparayed carb cleaner in the TB, that was useless. I even had a new fuel filter so I know it can't be clogged that fast. I even tried doing stoopid stuff like checking the gas cap out of desperate frustartion. I even disconnected the battery so the PCM would re-ding itselt..lol someone suggested that. I was thinking maybe it was the gas since it's a coincedence I filled up the night befopre but 76 gas 91 octane is fine. Anyhow, I'm ganna check the spark plugs but even if the plugs are fine...then what?

help... !
Old 12-20-2003, 04:42 PM

sounds like maybe a batch of bad gas? If you got a tank full of 76 that had some water in it, it would cause these problems you decribe.
Pull off the fuel line right before the filter, find a clear glass or plastic bottle. energize the FP and fill the bottle to about 1/4 full (not a whole lot).
Set the bottle down and let it sit for a minute, then look and see if it has visibly seperated into fuel/water.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:56 PM

Your fuel pump is bad. Check the pressure at the schrader valve. See this problem 2 to 3 times a month. Fuel goes way down, get a full tank of gas and wammo.

BTW getting shocked does not mean you have good spark. Be sure you saw a crisp spark.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:15 PM

ok, been away for a bit messing with this car. I gave up a sent it to the dealership to get tested. I watched a techie bypass the coil and try to get it to run. I left and the guy calls me up saying I'm getting irregular spark. He got it to run and it was running off four cylinders, idle crappy. I showed up and turned over the car and it was horible. Good thing I have free towing with my insurance. Well, I wasn't present when he scanned it but mentioned that it was definately a bad opti. I kinda figured that since I'm at 104K miles.

So, The service counter said $1,400 for labor not including parts and I said "$200 bucks and I'll do it myself, later dude"!
* Anyhow, I'm going to try those options of what you guys posted and then proceed with an opti change. It looks like I might do a cam in the process since I'm down there. I'll probably be posting again for help with cam install when I get back from vacation. Anyhow, sorry for the late post...no computer at home...Happy Holidays.. Thanks