LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

True duals w/ aftmkt. torque arms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:41 PM

True duals w/ aftmkt. torque arms?

OK, for those of you with true dual exhaust, what aftermarket torque arms are you running. Do you have any pics of your setup? I'm in the planning stages of my true dual project. Don't say get a catback.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 PM

Depends on how you run the duals.
I have a BMR TA, but I don,t have clearance problems cause I ran the exhaust "TRUE" dual, no X or H pipe just straight off the headers.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:19 PM

I have the H-pipe, but stock TA.

Now there is guy named Ryan Ahart who had the same true duals I have, but was running an adjustable BMR TA.

On a side note, have you thought about the driveshaft loop?

I am running a Jeg's Loop for 82-02 Fbody, was about 35 bucks.

Ryan used a BMR loop, but had to modify it to get it to work.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:35 PM
96z

I have the LG torque arm with duals. As long as you get a stock mount TA youll be allright. I havent really taken a good luck but I may be able to run mounted off of the crossmember like a spohn.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I'd like to eventually get a TA that mounts to the crossmember instead of the tranny. I think it can be done with enough work. And about the DS loop(s), I've thought about it, but not too seriously. I know I'm going to install one or two, but I figure if I can't find one to fit just right, I can make my own.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Spohn TA w/ duals

You can see from the Spohn TA front mount that the car used to have a Y-pipe and the 4" Mufflex, hence the "dropped" mount. I need to get a "straight" replacement mount and maybe save a few pounds.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Spohn TA w/ duals

You can see from the Spohn TA front mount that the car used to have a Y-pipe and the 4" Mufflex, hence the "dropped" mount. I need to get a "straight" replacement mount and maybe save a few pounds.
That looks like a nice setup, Injuneer. So you just ran straight pipes off the headers? Is there really any benefit to running an x-pipe versus a setup like yours? Also, why did you place your mufflers where you did (not closer to the dumps)? What size pipe are you running, with what kind of mufflers? Sorry for so many questions, but I know that you really know your stuff and I want to learn all I can.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Administrator

There is no "science "in my exhaust.... I just copy from cars that I know "work"....

The headers are "modified" AS&M's with the collectors pointing straight back. Originally, I had a dual cat Y-pipe, with a Mufflex 4" catback. The cats were flanged so I could drop them out for the track. When the cats dropped out, I replace them with 3" Borla XR-1 shorties... the mufflers you see on there now. I just copied the setup directly off George Baxters 30th SS (9.04@155mph).... actually I bought the headers of him when he switched to Hooker LT's.

When I had the Gear Vendor O/D installed, the Y-pipe didn't fit any more, so once again, I copied George... I figured if its good enough for 1,125HP its gonna be OK for my engine..... and just eliminated the Y-pipe and the catback. So it was running with nothing but the mufflers bolted to the collectors.

Then the local track decided that ALL cars had to have exhaust systems, including mufflers, and the exhaust had to end behind the rear edge of the door, so I had Mufflex bend me up a couple of "tailpipes" that I could clamp turndowns to. I also have an extra set of turndowns with "noise cones" in them, because the track (E'town) also has a 90dB @100' noise limit, under full power.

I never considered an H-pipe or an X-pipe because I always just piggyback off George's experience, with literally hundreds of engine and chassis dyno pulls, and he is still running a simple muffler on the collectors on what is now in excess of a 1,300HP setup. I think he is now using 5" mufflers though....

I've got some dyno time scheduled for next week, and we're gonna play with the exhaust a little to make sure it isn't a problem.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the (as usual) informative reply Do you have any soundclips/movies of your dual exhaust setup? Did you have to relocate or shield your fuel lines? Was there anything else you had to modify or clearance to make your exhaust setup work? Also, what do you think it would sound like if I used bullet mufflers located closer to the dumps? Where can I get some more info on George Baxter's car, does he have a website or something? Thanks again
Old 09-12-2003, 10:28 AM

I have true duals with a spohn torque arm. The torque arm is for long tube headers. Then I have jet hot headers into an x-pipe which crosses through the torque arm, then I have two bullet mufflers on and then both pipes are run over the rear axle and come out the back. Looks very nice and a ton of ground clearance, no issues at all. Randy
Old 09-12-2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by furely
I have true duals with a spohn torque arm. The torque arm is for long tube headers. Then I have jet hot headers into an x-pipe which crosses through the torque arm, then I have two bullet mufflers on and then both pipes are run over the rear axle and come out the back. Looks very nice and a ton of ground clearance, no issues at all. Randy
Any pics of this setup? If they are not hosted, you can email them to me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:41 AM

I have pics of them, but they are not hosted and I will need to email them to you. If you want to post them then you can. It is a very nice setup. I will email them to you tomorrow, as I don't have my camera with me right now.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by furely
I have pics of them, but they are not hosted and I will need to email them to you. If you want to post them then you can. It is a very nice setup. I will email them to you tomorrow, as I don't have my camera with me right now.
Thanks a lot! I can probably host them for you too
Old 09-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by PatriotTA
Thanks for the (as usual) informative reply Do you have any soundclips/movies of your dual exhaust setup?
Maybe after the dyno pulls next week.
Did you have to relocate or shield your fuel lines? Was there anything else you had to modify or clearance to make your exhaust setup work?
The fuel lines are braided S/S and you can see them in the picture.
Also, what do you think it would sound like if I used bullet mufflers located closer to the dumps?
Don't know. I just know mine is LOUD. I suspect different mufflers could be quieter. Locating them more toward the back makes the clearance in issue. But the further back you put them, the less restriction they will be. Although for a straight-thru type muffler, I don't see where they are located being that much of an issue.
Where can I get some more info on George Baxter's car, does he have a website or something?
He has nothing more than an old timeslip and an outdated "mods" list on our CJC/FO website:

G. Baxter

There are a few pictures of it on one of my pages:

Friends' Cars

I like the one with the wheels 3-ft in the air....

There is also a video that I took of his 9.04 second pass on the F-Body Hideout website.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:50 AM

You know I have been debating on whether to keep my "dual" exhuast with no X or H pipe or put on my Lowbaks with an X pipe.
Injuneer, you just convinced me to keep the dual without crossover setup.
I may stilll use the Lowbaks but just straight out with a section of pipe to get the mufflers closer to the rear end and then turndowns cause I like em.