LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tubular K-Member Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 10:56 AM

It comes with little pegs that you can use the stock bolt with on the passenger side. The only place I used zip ties were the lines in front of the rack and pinion.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I've seen the PA's and the BMR's, and the BMR's appear to have a better construction quality. In particular the welding. Some of the welding on the PA's looks very poor. A friend of mione had a weld tear out on a PA, but it did involve dropping the front end about 4-feet after a killer wheelstand

You might also want to look at the stuff from AJE.... a bit more expensive, but also offers a "strut" option for the 4th Gens that chops off even more weight.

AJE - Anthony Jones Engineering

The purpose of chrome moly is not greater strength, but lighter weight by using thinner tubing for the same overall strength as mild steel. Given the complexities of welding chrome moly, and the potential for brittleness, I would stay away from it for anything but a "track" car.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:01 PM

Thanks Fred, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Certainly a lot of stress on all chassis parts when we leave terra firma and come back ;-) I hope to keep all tires firmly planted at all times ;-)
Old 08-28-2003, 09:46 AM

I'd like to hear more input on potential increased vibration with the solid motor mount setup!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:52 AM

I'm a bit confused....I know the tubular K member bolts directly to the frame, but does the motor bolt directly to it, or do you still use motor mounts? Unless motor mounts are still in the formula, I don't see how the vibration would be any different than solid motor mounts (which I've seen nothing but complaints for daily drivers). I know it's subjective and some people put up with more vibration than others, but do we still use motor mounts with the tubular K member?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:00 AM

I used the stock mounts...
Old 08-28-2003, 11:24 AM

I just called BMR and the way it works is that the DS retains the mount which is attached to the block, therefor the rubber isolator remains on the DS. That's a good thing, no change there.

The PS looses it's rubber isolator and is replaced with BMR's built in poly mount.

So it becomes a hybrid, one side stock with the rubber isolator and one side with a Poly mount and no rubber isolator.

BMR states that they have not received complaints from end users regarding additional vibration. That could be sales pitch and exactly why we were hoping to get this specific feedback from this list of users.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:18 PM

Has anyone used the BMR with SLP 1 3/4 inch shorties? Mine were a problem and I had to "modify" the k-member motor mounts.

Andy
Old 08-28-2003, 07:33 PM

my friend talked to 3 companies that make them and they all said that they are alot lighter but alot weaker than stock. They told him not to install one unless he was only going to drive in a straight line 1/4 mile at a time.

Last edited by 96blackbeast; 08-29-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by pgriffith
Did you have any problems clearing your LT's with this k member? I have jet hot long tubes and they touch the k member on the pass. side. havent started it yet so i dont know if it will be a problem
No, I didnt have any problems with the LTs clearing...
Old 08-28-2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by CANTONRACER
But, if you are running an aftermarket oil pan, you might have to ask BMR to modify the k-member so it will clear the oil pan.
Anyone running an aftermarket pan with the BMR set-up?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Blown 96 WS-6
All great responses. It seems like everyone is pleased with their decision and the results.

I am still interested in the difference between the BMR and the PA units though? The PA unit (with motor mounts) is about $100 less expensive than the same version of the BMR.

Any thoughts to share here?

Here's some problems I've had to overcome with the PA:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=125919

If you've got the money, the BMR might be the best/easiest route in the long run...
Old 08-29-2003, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by AndyCLT1
Has anyone used the BMR with SLP 1 3/4 inch shorties? Mine were a problem and I had to "modify" the k-member motor mounts.
Andy
Can you elaborate a bit...how much and how difficult to "modify"? I've been planning on going with 1-3/4's pretty soon and quite possibly the SLP's. Thanks,
Old 08-29-2003, 05:46 AM

I had to cut about 1/2" from the drivers side motor mount. But I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem.

Andy
Old 08-29-2003, 06:08 AM

I meant I run a Canton oil pan and had the k-member modified to fit it. I think the newer Canton oil pans might actually be modified so you might not have to have the k-member modified.

Quick Reply: Tubular K-Member Advice