Turbo in the rear of car??? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 02:58 AM

Turbo in the rear of car??? WTF???

See if this link works:

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Turbo in rear of lt1?????????
Old 06-09-2003, 03:12 AM

turbo is expecting hundreds of cfm of hot exhaust gasses, not a few cfm of exhaust gasses that have traveled through 15 feet of pipe and cooled considerably. Its just a sh***y design.
I agree.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:56 AM

Thats f'n awesome...

Saves you the effort of constructing an exhaust manifold!!!!

You'll waste a bit of the pressure through all that tubing, but I think the savings in terms of sleeper-status, as well as money outweigh that by far!!

I mean.. why not just throw on a little T25 after a QTEC cutout, run some piping and give yourself 3-5 psi of boost... Probably wouldn't need any huge fuel mods either...

20-30hp of top end power would be awesome!!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Ghettoraid
Thats f'n awesome...

Saves you the effort of constructing an exhaust manifold!!!!

You'll waste a bit of the pressure through all that tubing, but I think the savings in terms of sleeper-status, as well as money outweigh that by far!!

I mean.. why not just throw on a little T25 after a QTEC cutout, run some piping and give yourself 3-5 psi of boost... Probably wouldn't need any huge fuel mods either...

20-30hp of top end power would be awesome!!
Thats why they Have N20 alot easyer to hide than a turbo just imagine pulling up behind it,What do you see?You can leave the hood closed and still see it.

And I wouldnt waste all my time if all it made was 20-30 Xtra HP.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by funina91ss
Thats why they Have N20 alot easyer to hide than a turbo just imagine pulling up behind it,What do you see?You can leave the hood closed and still see it.

And I wouldnt waste all my time if all it made was 20-30 Xtra HP.
WHAT A CRAPTACULAR IDEA! RIGHT AFTERWARDS I'LL INSTALL A MINI BATTERY POWERED FAN IN EACH OF MY HEADER PRIMARIES TO HELP PUSH THE EXHAUST THROUGH

Lets think about this-

assuming this terrible idea would work-

a. you need something better than regular headers. they need to be much thicker

b. your whole catback has to be internally and externally coated = $$$

c. Pisspoor design fro an engineering stanpoint

d. is heat an issue when you are that close to the gas tank and even rear diff?

e. all that money for 30hp what was wrong with a 4psi blower?

If you are going to do it, just do it right... turbos are DAMN hard to spot in in LT1 anyway if you dont have a lift.

turbo LT1 + ground effects = stock looking LT1 with headers.

I guess some people can justify it though

edit:
from what i've read-
in turbo cars- its all about the exhuast piping first are foremost. Almost equally important is tuning and cam selection

Last edited by treyZ28; 06-09-2003 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by treyZ28
WHAT A CRAPTACULAR IDEA! RIGHT AFTERWARDS I'LL INSTALL A MINI BATTERY POWERED FAN IN EACH OF MY HEADER PRIMARIES TO HELP PUSH THE EXHAUST THROUGH

Lets think about this-

assuming this terrible idea would work-

a. you need something better than regular headers. they need to be much thicker

b. your whole catback has to be internally and externally coated = $$$

c. Pisspoor design fro an engineering stanpoint

d. is heat an issue when you are that close to the gas tank and even rear diff?

e. all that money for 30hp what was wrong with a 4psi blower?

If you are going to do it, just do it right... turbos are DAMN hard to spot in in LT1 anyway if you dont have a lift.

turbo LT1 + ground effects = stock looking LT1 with headers.

I guess some people can justify it though

edit:
from what i've read-
in turbo cars- its all about the exhuast piping first are foremost. Almost equally important is tuning and cam selection
you wouldn't need better exhaust manifolds or coated pipes. The main reason this sort of stuff is required on turbo cars is having the heat from the turbo that typically sits right at the end of the manifold. In this design the turbo is so far away from the headers/manifold they will never notice the heat.

That being said, I seriously doubt this design will have any value. Turbo's like exhaust velocity, and the more heat you can trap in the exhaust before it gets to the turbo the better (to an extent). Try putting your hand at the end of your tailpipe and see how hot the exhaust is. Now remove your Y-pipe and put your hand at the end of the headers. Once you get your hand repaired because you just burnt it off, you will realize how much heat is lost from the engine to the tailpipes in your exhaust. What you would get in this case most likely is a system that does generate boost, but at such a low amount and with so much lag it would be almost unusable. Most turbo people know that the more space you have to fill in the pipes between the turbo and the intake, the more lag your going to end up with.

Last edited by magius231; 06-09-2003 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Banned

i was reffering to coating to retain heat
Old 06-09-2003, 08:45 AM

Funny thing. Yesterday I had just thought about using cheap turbo at the rear of the car. Not for a HP gain. Just use the turbo as a way to gather the exhaust energy and connect it to a alternator shaft. You could move the battery and alternator to the rear for better weight. A few HP would be gained from the drag loss. Or even better the tubro could house the rotor and stator ie no need for a seperate alternator.

Just one of many random thoughts in my head!! I'd never do this on my car.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:08 AM

apparently none of you guys read the forced induction forum........there is already a long thread going about this kit, its still in testing.

so far on a stock LT1 it has added 14mph to the trap speed, so apparently it works rather well.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by got_hp?
apparently none of you guys read the forced induction forum........there is already a long thread going about this kit, its still in testing.

so far on a stock LT1 it has added 14mph to the trap speed, so apparently it works rather well.
14mph

thats like 150hpish

how much is this kit and how much fabrication/welding is required.

do they sell the kit without a turbo? ie just piping?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by treyZ28
14mph

thats like 150hpish

how much is this kit and how much fabrication/welding is required.

do they sell the kit without a turbo? ie just piping?
read these threads

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=128250

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=129684

they tested the kit on a bone stock auto lt1 w/ 2.73 gears............it ran 15 @ 97mph stock..........with the turbo kit it ran 13 @ 111mph.

so they gained 2 seconds, and 14 mph

keep in mind this is at near 5000 ft above sea level, hence the crappy stock times, and the reason it gained so much.

they still havent tested it at sea level, so who knows how much improvement it will have for the rest of us.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Banned

well i gave them a call and there another shark in the pool for a turbo "tester"

I'll be honest about the results, i dont car how free it is (if i get picked obviously)

looks like this is another example of reality vs theory

it may not be AS good as turbos under the block, but 14 seconds? not to shibby. id be happy with 150hp added to my car
Old 06-09-2003, 09:30 PM

you mean 14mph!

haha 14 seconds would be a hell of a reduction!

i think the effects of the kit at sea level will not be as impressive, because at their high altittude, the turbo makes a much bigger difference, as the n/a cars are hurt worse by the elevation.

the results of the PTK kit and someone elses kit named turbospeed looks really good also. both have recent posts in the FI forum.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:41 PM

I think its a cool idea but if your going to turbo your car do it right. Besides the fact that the turbo has a high chance of sucking in exaust (no 02 = NO BOOST), the fact that your probably gonna end up banging the F*#K out of it (god knows ive scraped the exaust a few times, plus at launch, front torques up while rear slams down) and that all this work and time is not gonna push you any farther than 6 or 7 PSI. If your gonna run low PSI get a small blower, its less fabrication and you wont get 13 years of turbo lag (thats ALLOT of tubing down there).
Old 06-09-2003, 09:47 PM

Yeah this came up on the Mustang forum too. Seems like awful lot of work and money for a 13 second timeslip, even a 12 second one. I do like the creativity though.