LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Two A Arm bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 09:44 PM

Two A Arm bolts

On each side of the A arms there are two bolts and two nuts. The nuts go down through the K member and a arms and it has a bolt on the bottom side of the car. I removed the nut but the bolt is stuck on both sides! Is there a trick to removing this bolt? I tried even supporting the entire cars weight with a jack pressing up on that bolt to get it out and its stuck!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:34 PM

Are you talking about the 2 bolts that hold the A arm to the K frame? Did you remove the strut and spring? or atleast compress it with a spring compressor? You have to get the pressure off of it then put the nut on a couple of turns and whack it with a hammer to pop the bolt out. Steven
Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 AM

I didnt remove the strut because i figured that it was already at its max travel. Theres still tension? What if i tried jacking up the tip of the a arm?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:43 AM

Hell yeah there is still tension!!!! You have to compress the spring to take off the tension. If you dont and do manage to get the bolts out the spring and strut will fly out of there and damage something either you or the car. It doesn't care. Work smart not hard. And be carefull when messin with the springs. You can get a strut spring compresor at any parts or tool store.Most parts stores rent them too. Steven

Last edited by triumph; 03-03-2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

When the shock is fully extended at full drop, there is little if any tension left in the spring/shock assembly (there is tension in the spring against the shock, but as long as you don't take the top nut off the shock, that's not a problem) . Normal way to remove the coil/shock assembly is to unbolt the top mount, then separate one of the ball joints and loosen the sway bar link, then force the lower a-arm down so the top studs retract through the tower holes. At that point the shock/spring assembly falls out... there is no tension. Some people have been able to get the assembly out without breaking the ball joint stud loose or loosening the sway bar mount. In any case, you do not need a spring compressor to remove the spring/shock assembly from the front suspension. You only need the compressor to remove the spring from the shock.

I would agree that you should pull the spring/shock assembly out to remove th a-arm bolts.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:40 AM

Everything possibly is disconnected from the A arm and the bolts are still a no go. the front two bolts came out fine but the bolts that go through the k member by where the exhaust goes is a nightmare come true. i cant even twist the a arms more than 60 degrees or so because the bushing is locked tight. I tried the biggest hammer i had (20 lbs or so) and nothing. I tried jacking the car up by this bolt and nothing. So now I will probably have to drop the k member with it and press them out with a bearing press.