LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Two thumbs and a big toe up for PCMforless!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 06:51 PM

Talking Two thumbs and a big toe up for PCMforless!

Got my computer back today after the LT4 conversion, and dang if it doesn't feel like a stock car, except for the amazing POWER when I punch it. Shifts real hard and quick, and has great throttle response. My 0-60 time feels like 4.5 seconds on the butt-o-meter.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Bryan!

Old 08-27-2003, 07:03 PM

Somehow I'm not surprised
Old 08-27-2003, 07:11 PM

Good to know your happy with your tune. I just sent my specs on my car to PCMFORLESS and am waiting for the tune by e-mail. I thought I'd give them a try before going to wideband O2 dyno and spending hundreds of $. I f they can tune my motor for $50.00 I'll be stoked.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:34 PM

Bryan seems to have developed a really knack for tuning Lt4 conversions/Hot Cam Kit. I'm really happy with my tuning and it is extrememly affordable. Another 2 thumbs up for PCMforless
Old 08-27-2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by RCF925
Good to know your happy with your tune. I just sent my specs on my car to PCMFORLESS and am waiting for the tune by e-mail. I thought I'd give them a try before going to wideband O2 dyno and spending hundreds of $. I f they can tune my motor for $50.00 I'll be stoked.

Sounds like you got money in that motor, I'd go for the wideband O2 tune.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by WheelmanZ28
Bryan seems to have developed a really knack for tuning Lt4 conversions/Hot Cam Kit. I'm really happy with my tuning and it is extrememly affordable. Another 2 thumbs up for PCMforless
Hmm...then why did I have to do quite a bit of modifying to a buddies hotcam file from Bryan?
On the dyno his a/f ratio was almost 15:1.
By putting some fuel back in the car and taking some of the excessive timing out of the program he is making about 15 more hp and the curve is much better.
Idle and part throttle are also much improved after some tinkering.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:51 PM

Yup, too much timing and not enough fuel.
My tuner said it was "dangerously" lean.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by fireman
Yup, too much timing and not enough fuel.
My tuner said it was "dangerously" lean.
Yet others end up with this.
Only gained 6 hp with the dyno tune because the first was so darn good.

dangerously lean? Do you have a FPReg, bad injectors, or old dirty **** filter in your list of 'ect mods' by chance?

nobodys perfect, so it's definitly quite possible he did screw up your tune. funny how you got exactly 350 rwhp with a cc306, and I did the same with a 218/224. Maybe yours 'sounds better', but i bet mine has better manners. You have a graph of that by chance?

I think you and dan k are the minority, but thats cool, all voices must be heard in the democracy of cz28
Old 08-28-2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Dan K
Hmm...then why did I have to do quite a bit of modifying to a buddies hotcam file from Bryan?
By putting some fuel back in the car and taking some of the excessive timing out of the program he is making about 15 more hp and the curve is much better.
Sent u a PM Dan
Old 08-28-2003, 01:16 AM

totally agreed i got my car tuned today and i love it
Old 08-28-2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Dan K
You must realize that not every car reacts or runs the same.. Bryan does top not work and costumer service for the price. After my hotcam kit install the new PCM was a night and day difference.

Aaron
Old 08-28-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by 94 CAMRO Z28
You must realize that not every car reacts or runs the same.. Bryan does top notch work and costumer service for the price. After my hotcam kit install the new PCM was a night and day difference.

Aaron
I've never said Bryan isn't good at what he does. He and Ion are both great people to get base files from. They both know their stuff. But guys, a mail order tune is just a guess.
I've seen a hotcam file from another member of this board and his car made great power and he said drivability was nearly stock. The file on the car I mentioned also made good power and does drive like stock. And those 2 files were quite different.
I think some of you would be suprised at how little needs to be done to make a hotcam car run "good"...and how much needs to be done to get it to run right.
Some of you have had great luck getting a mail order tune, while the 2 cars I've had on the dyno this summer with mail order stuff were both very lean and had too much timing. While I might be of the minority, others here should hear my experience. That's all.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:46 AM

Off the subject here but what program are you using to view the Lt1 files in. I'm trying to learn the microcontroll (motorola 68HC11 that is the controller in the 1995 z-28)its for a school project and so I can write my own programs. I have not found a decompiler yet that will let me look at the program in any programing language I know (C, Visual C, Turbo Pascal, Visual Basic). So what are you using to loo at these files.
Tim
Old 08-28-2003, 10:04 AM

Another thumbs up for PCMforless. He tuned my car for the 306 and the *heads* I am running. Among other mods. I think the car runs pretty smooth, and my scanmaster shows good things while driving, and at idle.

Sure, it was a *mail order* tune, BUT darn good, and very cheap w/ excellent customer service! Very affordable! Who wants to spend $400+ on a dyno tune? I can understand if you have a lot of bones in the motor, but the majority of us here-don't.

Keep up the good work Bryan
Old 08-28-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by 94formulabz
Yet others end up with this.
Only gained 6 hp with the dyno tune because the first was so darn good.

dangerously lean? Do you have a FPReg, bad injectors, or old dirty **** filter in your list of 'ect mods' by chance?

nobodys perfect, so it's definitly quite possible he did screw up your tune. funny how you got exactly 350 rwhp with a cc306, and I did the same with a 218/224. Maybe yours 'sounds better', but i bet mine has better manners. You have a graph of that by chance?

I think you and dan k are the minority, but thats cool, all voices must be heard in the democracy of cz28
My entire fuel system is brand new, the entire motor/tranny/fuel system has less than 1000 miles on it since being totally replaced.
My setup made 350rwhp with a very conservative tune for the summer here(112* daily) and 91 octane gas. He also only revved to 5600 rpm on the dyno because the motor was new.
The tuner said there is another 25rwhp with a more aggressive tune and quite a bit more between 5600rpm and 6600rpm.

In other words, with no timing, 91 octane, and 110* heat, it made 350hp.
Oh, and thats stopping at 1000rpm shy of "redline".

And I got 349.8rwhp.

Quick Reply: Two thumbs and a big toe up for PCMforless!