LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ugh, more oil pressure woes, pressure is dropping at WOT now..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 AM

Re: Ugh, more oil pressure woes, pressure is dropping at WOT now..

Man I fought this one for a long time. Same boat as you, same pan, same pump, loose bearings. Read though some of my old posts. I finally licked it for good with a new pump and rear pan baffle on mine, but the following helped also.

I noticed a good difference with a high flow type filter. Try the Wix racing setup, or the KN, both in the 1qt size.

I normally run that pan low too, at the advice of my engine builder when i brought the problem to his attention. 6 qts in the pan, and 1 in the filter for me (thats 1qt shy of capacity, its a 7qt pan +1qt filter).

Last edited by atljar; 05-24-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Banned

If that pan doesn't have a baffel that sticks out forward from the back of the pan,the oil could be climbing the back of the pan.
To test it take it to full RPM in every gear and do it slowly,not like at the strip.Try to visualize the oil climbing and do just under what ya think will make it stay down in the pan.
If the OP stays up ya know under full acceleration it's climbing the back of the pan.
If ya put 7qt's in it that should be enough.A factory dip stick should read on the full mark or 1qt low.

This is why I run a Canton pan,it has the needed baffles.
It isn't the pump or the spring.I run HV pumps all the time with aftermarket pan's--- not stock pans.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:20 AM

This is what i noticed to, on slow rise of RPM up to redline the OP was fine but nail it and there would be a problem.
So I think mine might have been 2 issues, the filter and the rising of the oil to the rear of the pan....

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
If that pan doesn't have a baffel that sticks out forward from the back of the pan,the oil could be climbing the back of the pan.
To test it take it to full RPM in every gear and do it slowly,not like at the strip.Try to visualize the oil climbing and do just under what ya think will make it stay down in the pan.
If the OP stays up ya know under full acceleration it's climbing the back of the pan.
If ya put 7qt's in it that should be enough.A factory dip stick should read on the full mark or 1qt low.

This is why I run a Canton pan,it has the needed baffles.
It isn't the pump or the spring.I run HV pumps all the time with aftermarket pan's--- not stock pans.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:13 AM

I have this baffle: Milodon 32500

It's installed with two extra holes for room for the studs, plus the back of it is trimmed to fit right, I assume it's still effective given all the cutting up?

I guess I'll start by messing with the filters, then I'll take it for a slow acceleration run to see what that brings.

Atljar can you get me the part #'s for the proper wix racing and proper k&n filters? Can you still get the wix at Napa?

Is following 10psi per 1000rpm the only safe rule?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
This is a VERY safe rule but I believe you could get by with a little less BUT you do not want the pressure to be dropping no matter what.

Could you be running too much oil? I might have missed the windage tray thing but if you have too much oil you could be aerating (sp) it and that is causing problems.

We have always run ours low on oil, well, not enough for the light to come one but pretty low on the dipstick. to keep the windage down as much as possible.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Well, I have the built in windage tray that comes with the Milodon, and it's a 7 quart capacity pan.

I'm running 7 quarts total in the system, including filter so I am a bit on the lower side I guess. I could try running 1 quart lower OR buying a 1 quart filter as mentioned earlier to get some more oil out of the pan itself.

Shon, definitely wasn't planning on running it "as is" just trying to see where is an area I should be safe and happy at. I really need a mechanical gauge I think.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 AM

I really need a mechanical gauge I think.
This would be my NEXT purchase.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:31 AM

I'll pick up a cheapo from the auto parts store tonight so I can keep troubleshooting. Probably time to pod my car up for some extra gauges right about now so I'll pickup an autometer a little later on.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:16 AM

The Napa/wix filter is 1060R. You can only run it if you dont have an oil cooler. If you do have an oil cooler, remove it because those are horrible on our cars anyways. As a heads up, that part is about $13 so dont be shocked, lol

Personally I havent run the KN, but you just want to order one from a mid 90s GM truck (1500/2500). Same fitment as the wix

Last edited by atljar; 05-24-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Thanks jared.. i called napa, they have the filter in stock.

I also dropped by the local speed shop and purchased an autometer oil pressure gauge.. decided to go ahead and gauge pod the car and put a tranny temp gauge in there too.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM

Yup 1060R is what I run too. Pricey but oil pressure definetely increased when I I switched from the Purolator Pure-One filters. Too bad they never have them in stock and I always have to call a couple days ahead when I want to do an oil change.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM

I have this baffle: Milodon 32500

It's installed with two extra holes for room for the studs, plus the back of it is trimmed to fit right, I assume it's still effective given all the cutting up?

I guess I'll start by messing with the filters, then I'll take it for a slow acceleration run to see what that brings.

Atljar can you get me the part #'s for the proper wix racing and proper k&n filters? Can you still get the wix at Napa?

The WIX racing filter can be bought at NAPA with the Part number 1060R the actual WIX number would probably be a 51060R

Oops didn't see it had already been answered...
Old 05-24-2006, 01:55 PM

any info if its fixed yet...i have the problem of when i hit it i go to abuot 60psi and start to climb to 70 75psi until about 5000 then i drop to 40 psi and start to clib back to 45-50 at 6500..i can figure it out... i heard theres a presure spring in the stock pump that might be causing this......i run valvoline 30 weight(reccomended by mechanic) with a h1218 truck filter stock pump tight bottom end
Old 05-24-2006, 02:01 PM

eh, i'm still at work

Adding the gauge and replacing the filter this evening, will report back assuming it doesn't rain tonight (i'm on et streets)
Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 PM

Update:

Autometer gauge installed
NAPA Racing (WIX Racing) 1060R filter installed

Total oil? 7.5 quarts including filter.

10W40 Valvoline nonsynthetic

At cold idle oil pressure is about 65 PSI.. wtf?

At warm idle, oil pressure is about 34 PSI out of gear

Tried what you said LR, accelerating slowly with slow forward movement up the RPM (held the car in gear).. oil pressure drop still occurred. Around 4500 RPM+ it dropped quickly to about 30psi. Decided to completely eliminate movement and put the engine in neutral. The drop does not occur until about 5300 RPM, where the pressure rapidly hits 80psi of pressure and then QUICKLY drops to 34 psi or so, and as the rpm's increase to 6200 rpm or so the pressure drops to low 20's.

Now that we have movement eliminated, wtf do I try? It's almost as though something "gives" at higher RPM and releases pressure.

Doing the 4500 RPM in gear runs the pressure doesn't even need to go high (80psi) to release.. it releases around 60psi.

Too much oil?

Quick Reply: Ugh, more oil pressure woes, pressure is dropping at WOT now..