LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ugh, more oil pressure woes, pressure is dropping at WOT now..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

Re: Ugh, more oil pressure woes, pressure is dropping at WOT now..

OKaaaaa
Old 05-25-2006, 11:14 PM

I need sleep
Old 05-26-2006, 06:10 PM

Javier, I gotta give you credit for not throwing in the towell about now
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 PM

I've got too much cash in this bucket to give up on her now.. fortunately I'm not scared of wrenchin'.. I think my buddy redemn93 is gettin' a little worn out on it tho lol.

I've told my wife I want to be buried in it when I'm old and gone

I'll have the pump tomorrow
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 PM

This is definetly a good thread man. This will be a good one to bookmark for later.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 PM

Damn jav, shoulda told me you were having problems. I run the M55 HV in my car w/ the white spring and i hold 80psi to redline. It runs about 40 at idle.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:55 PM

ricci.. loose or tight tolerances?

Ima try this moroso pump out.. since I don't need an HV might as well have the few extra ponies back.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:39 AM

Javier, your oil pressure problems look so much like the oil pressure problems a buddy of mine had, and fixed just recently. Same pan I believe and this is an LT1-396 built by Autoshop, (you know, Autoshop....the 2005 Engine Master Champion).

The happy ending was that the problem was from windage. They fixed the problem initially by gonig to like around 5.5 quarts and no higher no lower.

They eventually pulled the pan and added some more baffling but the oil level was the main fix. You can see the oil pressure dive on a dyno video they made, (looks like your oil pressure dive). Then they fix by oil level and the dyno shows a solid 60psi at high rpm. Solid and steady. Stock, direct from some GM dealer in Orlando camaro z28 oil pump is all they use. Lennart says GM gets the best of the best from melling and then the aftermarket gets the rest. (not that the rest is bad but the top quality goes to GM 1st). Lennart did use a Melling Select oil pump in his dyno winning BBC but you know you have to make contingency money.

You might look at the video and see if it's like your problem and have a simple fix of lowering your oil level by 2 quarts.

Link to a good video is found at this guys web site at the very bottom of the page, http://www.blackout.nu/RACES/2006/test0601.htm
The video is worth doing a rightclick save as....also has a Smokey Yunick tribute in it.

Maybe it will help, who knows.

Karl Ellwein

Last edited by quickSS; 05-27-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
ricci.. loose or tight tolerances?

Ima try this moroso pump out.. since I don't need an HV might as well have the few extra ponies back.
I know the rings are set up loose for spray, but i dont know about the bearings, it would seem they are tight since i have so much oil pressure. Im actually thinking about going to a lower weight oil. Im also running a canton pan w/ their pick-up.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:14 AM

Karl, the pressure drops on the video screen look *exactly* what mine looks like standing still.. and i mean exactly!

I'm picking up the pump today regardless just to have it, but I will try what you are suggesting first before that.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:29 AM

Cool, (I mean not cool that your pressure drops), but cool that it looks the same. I watched that video yesterday since you brought it to mind with your pressure problem and it sure is a scary movie. You see the pressure diving to 20psi and I'm thinking, "stop the dyno pull!!!!!" Ahhhh!!!!

Very scary.

And it really opened my eyes, the effect of windage, (not crank dipping into oil but crank wind and crank oil smacking the sump oil supply to whip it into a frenzy and uncover the pickup and or aerate it).

You'll get it sorted out we know, just by your being so on top of it.
Karl
Old 05-27-2006, 10:34 AM

get a windage tray and a baffle and a 70 pound spring and go back to the stock oil pump. Fixed my problem and i have badass pressure.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up Karl.. I'll clearly post back results. I can do the oil draining and testing tongiht.

crazy95 -> My milodon pan has a built in windage tray and I added a baffle to the back of the pan b/w the pump and rear main. If draining a bit doesn't help I'll move to the pump I posted earlier.. which is stock volume, with a 65-75 lb spring.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

Javier,

Take out about 2 quarts and try that. (after I read the whole thing I still think that lol)

The pressure spring limits the max pressure and it looks like you are around 65-70psi max which is high for me but it will work.

FWIW you can get the Melling pump at the auto parts store for about $15.

Karl,

"You see the pressure diving to 20psi and I'm thinking, "stop the dyno pull!!!!!" Ahhhh!!!!"

Pansy.... wait till you do 3 pulls with the pressure going down to zero and you don't flinch! With good oil and coated bearings it's not all that bad, only needed to polish the crank and throw new bearings in there.

If you ever see the stock elminator motors those guys go thru the traps with NO OIL PRESSURE! Gotta love good oil!

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-27-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:26 PM

Do you have a new sending unit? There could be an issue with old one. I would verify with an external gauge plugged into the port above the oil filter. Also check to make sure the wiring is not burnt on the exhaust or anything like that.

Quick Reply: Ugh, more oil pressure woes, pressure is dropping at WOT now..