LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ultimate Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:22 AM

Ultimate Intake

Well, I have neglected upgrading my intake track on my car since day one. As soon as I get the guidplates in the mail and my rr's back on I am going to upgrade the intake tract. I originally thought I was going to get a TC next but I think I want something alittle cleaner to install. I am sick of getting dirty right now.

First, I am thinking about removing the MAF for the car altogether. The car runs great with or without it according to Datamaster and it's just one more restriction. Besides that, ported MAF's are more of a headache than anything.
It seems redundant to even have it in there. I mean, GM went from MAF to SD in the 90 vette. So one isn't worse than the other is it? AFAIK, SD just uses two sensors instead of one to calculate the air flow coming in.

So, if I add an SLP CAI, remove the MAF, Trick flow elbow, and AS&M monoblade, I shouldn't have too mess with it again. Maybe overkill, but I hate going back later. One concern is how important is air velocity? I know it will slow down but the surface area will increase so I think it shouldn't matter. Would this be like adding too big of a carburator? Can you go too big on the intake and hurt yourself on the low end?

I do remember something in a fluid dynamics class were the velocity of a non-compressible gas and surface area were related. One of those variables was squared I think. If so then, that may answer my questions.

Last edited by PoorMan; 05-26-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:14 PM

You can't fit an intake under that hood that is too big......theres just no room