LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Used shortblock: I THINK it had dexcool. Can I use the green stuff? Whats best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:09 AM

Used shortblock: I THINK it had dexcool. Can I use the green stuff? Whats best?

I have hear dexcool is better and lasts longer. Which should I use? Looks like all traces of coolant have dried up. So I'm guessing its safe to use either?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Banned

Re: Used shortblock: I THINK it had dexcool. Can I use the green stuff? Whats best?

Originally Posted by Black1995Z
I have hear dexcool is better and lasts longer. Which should I use? Looks like all traces of coolant have dried up. So I'm guessing its safe to use either?
Use either but the green stuff is better.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 AM

Re: Used shortblock: I THINK it had dexcool. Can I use the green stuff? Whats best?

dexcool eats HGs. use green antifreeze.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I've had Dex-Cool in my cooling system since 1998, and it hasn't eaten up anything.... urban legend.

Before you install the block, flush the water jacket to get out any residual rust, deposits, etc. Once its clean, it will make no difference which coolant you use. One lasts longer, is environmentally friendly, and does not contain silicates that can contaminate the O2 sensors in the event of a leak. Don't agonize over it... use whatever you want.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 PM

then why is it i can point to several stock motor'd cars and the ones with dexcool consistently have head gasket problems and the older ones that came from the factory w/ the green coolant dont have a problem?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:40 PM

Im a cheap ***....i use the green stuff.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by 93turbo5oh
then why is it i can point to several stock motor'd cars and the ones with dexcool consistently have head gasket problems and the older ones that came from the factory w/ the green coolant dont have a problem?
What about green coolant cars that have had blown head gaskets and dexcool ones that have had not? Too many factors to make a blanket statement.

One thing about the green coolant, is that is does not coagulate when exposed to air like dexcool does. If you have reservations about dexcool, just use the green stuff. It's that simple.

My 95 Camaro does fine with the green stuff and my 97 Grand Prix does fine with dexcool. Both work.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
What about green coolant cars that have had blown head gaskets and dexcool ones that have had not? Too many factors to make a blanket statement.

One thing about the green coolant, is that is does not coagulate when exposed to air like dexcool does. If you have reservations about dexcool, just use the green stuff. It's that simple.

My 95 Camaro does fine with the green stuff and my 97 Grand Prix does fine with dexcool. Both work.
i wasnt very clear expressing that thought. what i meant was, out of all the LT1 ive been around (11 all together), and not from what ive read on the internet. im stating this because i dont base my opinion on this from what i havent seen with my own eyes. the cars that have had HG problems have been the later model cars. and the people with the cars havent exposed them to anything that would cause it that the guys running the older cars with the green stuff didnt. these things have 17 head bolts per head for crying out loud. they should seal without head gaskets.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator

If you want to believe that Dex-Cool eats up your head gaskets, go ahead and believe it. You certainly have a large sample of data to back it up. It would seem odd that there aren't huge numbers of GM cars running around with "eaten up" head gaskets after they've been using it for about 10 years on nearly every car and truck they build.... but believe what you want, and use the coolant you want. I still think it urban legend... and that's simply my personal opinion.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 AM

ive also seen several non lt1 gm engines 96 and newer that have had head gasket problems, my father in laws Z71 being one of them. ive just never seen a green coolant car blow them without detonation like ive seen from vehicles with dexcool. it could just be coincidence tho.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:35 PM

My '93 has Dexcool... 136,000 miles and no problems... But I do flush the system every other year....