LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

valve spring discussion, Lunati gold kit, Patriot extreme gold kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM

valve spring discussion, Lunati gold kit, Patriot extreme gold kit

I am running a cc306 cam with 987 springs and feel that some valve float may be occuring, the car is just not as spunky on hard acceleration as it was when I first had it installed. I have e-mailed Loyd Elliot a few times back and forth and he has made some recomendations, first being the '987' springs are not great for the rate I am going to want them to operate, and I should have a valve seat pressure of about 150lbs to efficiently control the valves with this type of grind even though it is not particulary over aggressive. He also recomended the Patriot Gold Extreme valve spring kit and said that it was the best 'bang for the buck', and I am sure it is for the money. I do question the quality of a whole kit that costs less than what some spring sets are going for; espesilly with Ti retainers. It seems to good to be true when you price out other products to similar parts.

My main question is what issues are guys having with the Ti retainers (in the Patriot kit) and do they have to be maintained in any particular manner? I found this thread doing some reasearch and want some feedback. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=466782

Later on doing some more research, I found an article on a Lunati Kit that seems it could be pretty good too, and is even less money and is made in the USA. They use a lightweight alloy steel retainer and say it is nearly as light as the Ti with none of the wear issues. http://www.precisionenginetech.com/p...to-the-rescue/

All that said, I have no experience with either and would just like to read opinions and discussion before I make any choice on what to get even though it might not be either of these 'kits'. I know there are many different options when comes to valve springs/retainers etc....
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 PM

I have not tried the Lunati kit, I use PAC springs - but between those two I would choose the Lunati without question because I have rebuilt heads with the Patriot springs and they truly are junk...loose their pressure and sag in no time - poor material quality and processing. The retainers are also not machined well and vary quite a bit in installed height... but what can you expect for that kind of price for springs, retainers, spring locators, and locks....when in comparison the quality springs alone are $400

But for all I know the Lunati springs could be made by Associated as well, and the rest is just marketing

Last edited by MachinistOne; 10-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Currently thinking about PAC 1220's, Comp (1)795 tool steel retainers, 614 locks, 4696 locators. It will cost more than the other kits I was looking at, but the more I read about the 'beehive' the more I like...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Re: valve spring discussion, Lunati gold kit, Patriot extreme gold kit

I just found an article that makes a good argument towards 'shaft mounted rockers'... damn. Just when I think I have made up my mind up something else gets added to the equation.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...e_switch_.aspx