LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Valve Spring removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:26 PM

Valve Spring removal

ok, the stock rockers are off, and the pushrods are out. The springs are now the next thing needed to take off. We are trying to search for TDC right now, and it is nearly impossible to find by the definition of TDC I have. I have turned the crank 2-3 turns and the intake valve on cylinder 1 and it no matter where we are in the crank turn will not compress the springs without taking the valve down as well... Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Or any sites to a good RR/valvespring install guide? I'm using http://www.streetillusionsracing.com/RR/rr.htm and it is hard to tell if we are at TDC for the #1 cylinder, the arrow in the middle of the crank is pointing straight up... any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:35 PM

Say what?

The valve should go down when the spring compresses. How do you expect anything to happen since you took the stock rockers off and pushrods out? Did you just mean on one cylinder, or all of them? At this point i think you need to look at the lifters for their motion. Maybe clarify your post as well.

You should have found TDC, then taken off the rocker from 1 and 6. If your car is stock just go by the arrow, chances are it hasn't been messed with.

When you take the first spring off the valve should be held up by the valve seal. You can then push it down with your fingers till it hits the piston to check.

I'm tryin to help man, but the way i understand your post, what your doing doesn't make much sense.

EDIT* try shoebox's site, here , maybe that will clear up your confusion.

good luck,
brent

Last edited by 94formulabz; 10-09-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:40 PM

You can check to see if the #1 piston is at TDC by removing the spark plug and putting a plastic drinking straw or something similar in the spark plug hole. You will be able to feel the piston top with the straw at TDC. Then just turn the crank 90 degrees and go to the next cylinder in the firing order.
At TDC the valves will drop about 1/4 inch.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:55 PM

yah, your right, stupid me. I have been waiting for the springs/rr's all day and thought it would be a good idea to take off the stock ones first (nothing else to do). So, basically Im going to put the rocker arms back on and same w/ the pushrods. Then finding TDC can be found by when the pushrods stop going down and they start going up (towards the rocker) am I correct? sorry this is obviously my first time under valvecovers; trying to figure all this out quickly.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:48 AM

Ok, after some more reading, let me make sure that I have this right before I go mess anything up.

If I put the stock pushrods/rockers back on (#1 and #6 at same time) and then get them to TDC (I think I am already there, but no real way to tell... the arrow is up) by watching when the pushrods stop going into the motor and start going into the rocker. at this spot I can take off the springs and replace w/ new ones, and then turn 90deg and do #8 and #5 in the same fashion. If I do this and keep going 90 deg then the next 2 pistons at TDC I shouldn't drop a valve should I?

I just get afraid because even at what I assume to be TDC (arrow up) w/ my ghetto valve spring compressor (a big metal crowbar kinda thing) I can lower the #1 exhaust spring and the valve will sit on the piston just fine (the keepers on the top go up the valve stem showing me that its touching)... but on the intake side it doesnt catch? this doesn't mean it will fall? any help is appreciated, tomorrow i think I will go borrow a valve spring compressor from somewhere in town to get to the back 4 cylinders.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:10 AM

Putting the rockers and pushrods back on won't help you, because you have no way of knowing if you're on the base circle of the lobe when you tighten down the rocker. Here's what you need to do-

Remove the spark plug from the #1 cylinder. Take a thin screwdriver and insert it in the spark plug hole. Be gentle and don't gouge anything with the scredriver. Have somebody turn the crank and feel for when the piston starts to rise. When it stops rising stop turning the crank. It's ok if the piston hits TDC and goes back down a hair, you still won't drop the valves. Now, do the springs on #1. For the rest of the cylinders turn the crank 90 degrees at a time and work through the firing order, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. You'll go through 2 full rotations of the crank and be back at #1 TDC once all the springs are swapped.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by 96LT1TX
Ok, after some more reading, let me make sure that I have this right before I go mess anything up.

If I put the stock pushrods/rockers back on (#1 and #6 at same time) and then get them to TDC (I think I am already there, but no real way to tell... the arrow is up) by watching when the pushrods stop going into the motor and start going into the rocker. at this spot I can take off the springs and replace w/ new ones, and then turn 90deg and do #8 and #5 in the same fashion. If I do this and keep going 90 deg then the next 2 pistons at TDC I shouldn't drop a valve should I?

I just get afraid because even at what I assume to be TDC (arrow up) w/ my ghetto valve spring compressor (a big metal crowbar kinda thing) I can lower the #1 exhaust spring and the valve will sit on the piston just fine (the keepers on the top go up the valve stem showing me that its touching)... but on the intake side it doesnt catch? this doesn't mean it will fall? any help is appreciated, tomorrow i think I will go borrow a valve spring compressor from somewhere in town to get to the back 4 cylinders.
So you are saying you can tell the exhaust valve is touching but not the intake? If one touches the other should too. The pistons are "flat tops", so there should be no difference on either side. BTW, if you rap the retainers with a mallet before compressing the spring, the keepers won't stick to them and the valve will stay held up by the seal. Also, make sure you change seals while you have the springs off. It's good insurance. All this is outlined in the link to my site that 94formulabz posted earlier.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:52 AM

cool thanks for all the help guys, after class today we will have to get workin! Shoebox, your site is a big help, have been using it since i started along w/ the other one i posted. I just figured that TDC would be there and that the keepers would catch at the top of the valve showing me that its TDC, but that would be too easy I guess... I'll use the screwdriver way when I get back, Thanks!