LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

vented & non vented Optispark

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM

vented & non vented Optispark

I have a 1994 z28 Camaro that's in the middle of putting together. Well i got a double roller timing chain, stock timing cover, cc306 cam, & a non-vented optispark. First off i want to say The cc306 cam is off my friends 1996 lt1 camaro with vented optispark. Well for some reason i feel like im missing something, is there something that goes over the non-vented optispark for it to fit in the cam right? If I can remember right i thought that the optispark had a drive shift that went on it and made it fit good in the cam, just like the water pump. But i could be wrong. Also seen where a few people was saying i need to get a vented optispark, 1995-1997 timing over, and a vented timing chain for it to work with the cam. But i was thinking that there is a drive that goes over the optispark for it to fit in right and i just need to find it.. But i could be wrong. I NEED HELP, thanks..
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Re: vented & non vented Optispark

The spline drive for the unvented opti fits into the timing gear. So your not really an upgrade timing set swap is the source of your problem.

If you want to use an unvented opti you need to use a stock timing set or I think Lunati offers one.
I honestly do not know if the cam nose needs to be any different, I know the later cams are drilled differently in the end but I do not know if that will cause you any trouble.

I know everyone loves to hate the stock timing set but it is a solid piece, had to be to handle the waterpump load in addition to the standard valvetrain load.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Yes i have the spline one, I was thinking that there was something that went over the spline and went in to the cam, but i could be wrong???.. Also if im using the double timing chain do you think the spline is not getting to the cam for it not being long ? The reason why im asking is because i put eveything on and it seem not to fit well, it could just be me but this is what i have and tell me if you think you think it will work or if im doing something wrong here. I have a after market timing gear and chain, non-optispark and with stock timing cover and arp cam bolts. I also have to cut in to my timing cover so the timing chain would fit.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 PM

You can't use an unvented opti with a double roller. An unvented opti uses a splined cam gear to turn the opti drive. Look at this list for requirements for using a vented opti. You will need to add an electric water pump to the list, because the double roller won't have a way of turning the drive for the stock, mechanical pump.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Yes i have a electric water pump, Aint there a few other things i need also? Also is there something that goes over the opti to make it fit in the cam? or do you thing the reason why it dont want to fit is becuase of the timing gear? Thanks for you help by the way.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by shook1502
I have a 1994 z28 Camaro that's in the middle of putting together. Well i got a double roller timing chain, stock timing cover, cc306 cam, & a non-vented optispark. First off i want to say The cc306 cam is off my friends 1996 lt1 camaro with vented optispark. Well for some reason i feel like im missing something, is there something that goes over the non-vented optispark for it to fit in the cam right? If I can remember right i thought that the optispark had a drive shift that went on it and made it fit good in the cam, just like the water pump. But i could be wrong. Also seen where a few people was saying i need to get a vented optispark, 1995-1997 timing over, and a vented timing chain for it to work with the cam. But i was thinking that there is a drive that goes over the optispark for it to fit in right and i just need to find it.. But i could be wrong. I NEED HELP, thanks..
When you switch to that type of timing chain you have to run a vented opti & vented opti timing cover. The timing cover has a large opening with a seal to accept the vented opti. The cam dowel will slide into the drive of the vented opti. I switched to that type of timing chain, removed the water pump drive & welded up the water pump drive hole. I have a 95' so I was lucky & already had a vented opti...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by shook1502
Yes i have a electric water pump, Aint there a few other things i need also? Also is there something that goes over the opti to make it fit in the cam? or do you thing the reason why it dont want to fit is becuase of the timing gear? Thanks for you help by the way.
No, there is not. You have to swap to a vented opti. The only way to use a non-vented opti is to use a stock type early cam gear.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM

So now to use your not-really-an-upgrade timing set you need to buy a complete new opti and find a timing cover for a vented opti.

If you really like to subscribe to the belief that the stock timing chain is lacking something the electric pump takes a good 10+hp load off of it, if you don't like how "loose" it is a $20 Cloyes S505 gear will tighten it up. Making the "unvented" opti vented is as easy as an MSD cap and rotor kit which is a lot cheaper than any good complete opti like you need now to convert to vented.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Ok i understand now, Thanks so much for your time guys.. Yall was alot of help,