LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

very desperate, out of ideas. PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 09:53 PM

Angry very desperate, out of ideas. PLEASE!!!

Heres the car. 93 t/a a4

Heres the problem:

Excessive gas consumption, massive loss of power. Does not really pick up untill 3k rpms and even then its still not right. Took me a half mile to get up to 90 shifting at 5k every gear. I have replaced the entire ignition system, fuel filter, pcv, battery. Checked FPR and all sensors. (I may be forgetting something there). I have no trouble starting. This has been going on for months and I am really sick of it. Had the shop check over everthing and they had no idea, then i began troubleshooting myself. I had them check the fuel pressure and they said it was fine. The only difference since i had them check everything was, i hear the fuel pump alot more than i did before. That is my last guess for what it could be. Im desperate.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:02 PM

Did you check out the fuel pump relay?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:04 PM

no, i havent checked that. where is it located?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:05 PM

Have you looked at the O2's? I think excessive gas consumption and lack of power could be O2's.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:06 PM

thats one thing i forgot to mention. I just replaced those.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:10 PM

The fuel pump relay is either going to turn the pump on or not. If you want to check something to do with fuel, check the pressure. You could also have a problem with the MAP sensor. It could easily cause low power and poor gas mileage if it was acting up. It would be best to get a scan tool on it to see if it was looking funny.
You can read about expected readings here.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:12 PM

what mods have you done?

How is it at idle?

Have you modified anything to the intake elbow?

jason
Old 03-08-2003, 10:14 PM

this is a long shot but could it be something like a break sticking. i had a caliper stick on my truck and it slowed me down so much. it took forever to get to speed and when i did i was reving way faster thn i should have been
Old 03-08-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by FreByrd2
what mods have you done?

How is it at idle?

Have you modified anything to the intake elbow?

jason
only mod is a new muffler.
the idle is a little high, hovers around 900 to 1000.
i have not changed anything on the elbow
Old 03-08-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by cndctrdj
this is a long shot but could it be something like a break sticking. i had a caliper stick on my truck and it slowed me down so much. it took forever to get to speed and when i did i was reving way faster thn i should have been
i thought of that too but the low end power is what i have the most of. anything over 2k, it is a dog. i think that would eliminate a sticking brake.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
The fuel pump relay is either going to turn the pump on or not. If you want to check something to do with fuel, check the pressure. You could also have a problem with the MAP sensor. It could easily cause low power and poor gas mileage if it was acting up. It would be best to get a scan tool on it to see if it was looking funny.
i would assume if it doesnt throw any codes than this is working properly. no codes being thrown.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:24 PM

ok, i ask because my car displayed similar symptoms. I had gotten rid of the long plastic thingy on the intake elbow, plugged the hole with a ghetto fix. Ran fine for a VERY long time, til one day it ran just as you described. Turns out that my cheap ghetto fix had fallen out an left that hole exposed on the elbow. Hence my car ran like crap, plugged it back up VERY good this time and all was back to normal

I would just inspect the intake elbow to rule out any possibilities

jason
Old 03-08-2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by FreByrd2
ok, i ask because my car displayed similar symptoms. I had gotten rid of the long plastic thingy on the intake elbow, plugged the hole with a ghetto fix. Ran fine for a VERY long time, til one day it ran just as you described. Turns out that my cheap ghetto fix had fallen out an left that hole exposed on the elbow. Hence my car ran like crap, plugged it back up VERY good this time and all was back to normal

I would just inspect the intake elbow to rule out any possibilities
jason
there have been many times where i would liked to remove that thing, but i havent touched it. ill check the elbow again but im sure that everything is ok.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
I had a relay go out on my truck about 40 miles from home. I had bucking at idle, WOT was fine, but during normal driving it would buck and then go, etc. etc... I also was getting poor mileage as well... so I made a toggle switch and direct line from the battery to power the inline pump until I could get into town to get a relay... ended up replacing the pump too.

Oh yeah, and fuel pressure was fine too... even with a pump on the way out, or a bad relay you can have normal fuel pressure, unless you check it while the car is running for some time you will see the drops in pressure, but since the whole system is pressurized upon startup and after its shut off, you can't really get an accurate reading (for that type of problem) without driving the vehicle with a gauge. That's what finally caused my relay to **** itself was a small bump in the road.

Last edited by Larnach; 03-08-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:39 PM

catalytic convertor?

Quick Reply: very desperate, out of ideas. PLEASE!!!