LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: What is my problem? Please post suggestions/comments below as well... thanks..
Tuning issues?
14.29%
Mechanical Issues?
0%
Lack of stall converter issues?
42.86%
Other?
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 PM

Angry Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...

Hey guys, just like the title said...
In my last round of mods I put in a fresh fuel pump, 3.42 rear end with zexel posi, aluminum d/s CC305, cc pushrods, 1.5 roller rockers, ex 612 springs, LT4 timing set,
All and all I gained NOTHING ET wise.
Here my previous best timeslip... And todays best..

reaction- .677 ------------------.579
60 ft- 1.928 ------------------- 2.045
330 ft- 5.546 ------------------- 5.673
1/8th et- 8.489 ------------------8.607
1/8th mph- 83.84------------------84.12
1000 et- 11.035-------------------11.146
1/4 et- 13.193---------------------13.296
1/4 mph- 104.71--------------------105.10

Is this normal for a cc305 without a converter? or do you guys think I have some other issues, The tune I have is from PCMforLESS, should i dynotune it? or could it be mechanical?
Please start shootin me some ideas, im dead stumped and VERY VERY discouraged.

-Eric
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 PM

Re: Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...

I would add some 1.6 rockers, I think that would help your time some.

But, a good stall would help more than anything.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:06 PM

If you have the stock tuning, I would definitely consider a retune. Many many people gain so much in tuning with a larger cam then stock than having the stock tuning. Get it done!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:13 PM

I had PCMforLESS re-tune me for the cam... unless he completely forgot to add the cam in the tune.... but thats nit likely? I know 1.6s would help... but even with the 1.5s the lift is .510.... stock is like .467ish... so thats such a massive difference the only thing I can think of is converter....?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:17 PM

I'm sorry I didn't see that last part about the PCMforLESS tuning thing. I am not too familar with the policies or whatnot about tuning, but do they send you some sort of sheet describing the tuning they programmed?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
I'm sorry I didn't see that last part about the PCMforLESS tuning thing. I am not too familar with the policies or whatnot about tuning, but do they send you some sort of sheet describing the tuning they programmed?
No, they dont send me a sheet, I think im going to request a overview though... that may help me get to the bottem of it...
A knowledgable person from Fbody.com suggested that since my cam makes power at 2500ish, and my stock converter grabs at 1200-1400ish... that 1100 is really destroying the first 1/8th mile of the run.... What are you guys thoughts on that?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:28 PM

Does it feel stronger? Did you drive it with the cam before the PCM tune was installed? Looking at your slips, you 60 foot time was longer and your MPH went up, both signs you picked up RWHP.

Even with the stock tune, the car should run stronger with the CC305. I would check the fuel pressure since you said you changed the pump. Might also be a good idea to run it on a dyno with a wide band O2 sensor. Could tell you how it's running.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:35 PM

Yeah, Im going to try and dyno it this weekend if I can work some of these bugs out, I didnt drive it without tuning wasnt sure how it would react. The pumps a brand new Walbro 255 lph ill give it a check tho...
If definently feels stronger... almost a second wind once you hit 2500+ really pulls like a bat outta hell.... I guess these are all signs I need a converter arent they?

-Eric...
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 PM

hey man, sorry to hear of your results so far. a stall will help big time. Id guess a nice stall maybe around the 3000range would drop your times by .5 or so. on a stock car they typically drop about .2-.4. so with your cam you need the stall even more than before. if I knew you were goin to pick out a cam and rockers and stuff when you were emailing me before bout camwork, I would have not let you get that 305. IMHO, those cams arent worth the time/money compared to HP gain. to me, even the typical 224/230 cam is not big enough to be worth the hassle. madwolf has stock heads and he is using the same cam I have 233/239 . although, it does need gears/conv./full exh. to be most effective. what gears do you have? if 2:73, thats a big part of the problem. you should at least have 323 gears, but those are a compromise if qrtr times are really important. so now that youve moved your powerband up a bit with the biger cam, youve lost some power down low and the stock conv. and rear gears are keeping you in the low rpms way too long and not in the upper rpms where your car now makes power. where did you shift at? you'll have to play around with that too. did you man. shift, or let it shift for you? the calibration should have the shift points higher then stock, are they? Id think shifting around 6K would give you the best times. but you need to try diff. rpms to see where it does best. when did you go to the track? today? if so, you picked a bad day to go due to the heat index being in the mid 90's. theres prolly bout .2-.3 just in the heat alone.
you can make some more power by switching those 1.5 rockers to the scorpions 1.7 rockers. that will make your cam act bigger.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ekof96Z28
Yeah, Im going to try and dyno it this weekend if I can work some of these bugs out, I didnt drive it without tuning wasnt sure how it would react. The pumps a brand new Walbro 255 lph ill give it a check tho...
If definently feels stronger... almost a second wind once you hit 2500+ really pulls like a bat outta hell.... I guess these are all signs I need a converter arent they?

-Eric...

A stall will help even a bone stock car like you wont believe. I have to ask though if the weather conditions were the same between your best before, and your run now? If you got a good time before when it was cool out, and now you run the same time in the heat of the day then you have definately picked up (although the timeslip doesn't show it yet)..

Wondering..

Dave C.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ekof96Z28

-Eric...
if your goin to get it dynoed, get a printout of the air/fuel ratio and forward it to the guys that tuned it for you. they can tweak it and prolly make it alot closer then the first guess prolly is now. have you changed the fuel filter on your car lately? if not you should do that just to be sure its not a problem.

Last edited by IrocSS85; 07-21-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 PM

also, if you want to bring it by sometime, we can go for a ride and I can hookup my fuel press. gauge so we can watch fuel press. under WOT and look at the knock reading to see if your getting knock retard.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:05 PM

Wow thanks guys, Ill definently try and bring it by IrocSS85, thanks for the offer.
What day works best for you? I work during the day, but evenings and weekends are free.
They make 1.7 rockers for an LT1? if thats the case I want them!!!! lol
The car has 3.42 gears. I origanally wanted the 306... but was told it was unsuitable for the street with an automatic transmission by MANY MANY people.
Fuel filter is less than 5k miles old.... origanal wasnt even very gunked up... and my fuel tank was very clean when I swapped pumps.
It was quite hot tonight.... 90s definently, probly mid-high 70s on that day with the 13.19 run... I realize that makes a big difference but I still kinda expected at least 12.99. What could cause knock retard? I have a LT4 KM in their... so unless i really messed somthin up in the cam installl?
I guess theirs alot of variables in this.... I kinda think I need to datalog it somehow, to possibly narrow down the possibilites....
Whatcha guys think?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 PM

I ran into these problems with a similar setup i used to have in an 85' chevy truck. What i always thought was going on was, mainly because of the converter, but with the cam your loosing alot of low end while gain some top end at the same time, and without the rest of the car setup, the gains a minimal if any.......sorry to hear that though, very frustrating i understand.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:14 PM

I work week days too. fri. evening or sat. afternoon or sat. eveining or sun. mourning. you 'll have to call me fri afternoon though to remind me bring home my scanner from work. those gears are fine. who told you 306 is too wild for street? your grandma? I guess its just a matter of opinion. those peoiple def. wouldnt like to go for a ride in my Iroc then. I dont really like the 306 much. although I cant remember the specs on it right now. what exh. do you have?

Quick Reply: Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...