LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: What is my problem? Please post suggestions/comments below as well... thanks..
Tuning issues?
14.29%
Mechanical Issues?
0%
Lack of stall converter issues?
42.86%
Other?
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:18 PM

Re: Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...

Exhaust wise I have Pacestter 1 5/8ths primary headers into 2.5 inch collectors, into a 3 inch pipe, with a 3 inch cutout right after the Y pipe,

Lotta local LT1 racers at the track did, as well as the local LT1 guru at the speed shop, and many many online sources.... I kinda wish I would have went bigger already... maybe those scorpions would help out... any idea where I can find them?
Whats your ## so i can contact ya to remind you to bring the scanner, PM it to me if ya want lol.

-Eric

Last edited by Ekof96Z28; 07-21-2004 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 07-21-2004, 10:22 PM

First off, you should upgrade to bigger rockers for sure, call comp cams and tell them your setup they have some awesome tech help trust me. The CC305 is a great cam for great power gains if you address the rest of the issues with it. A stall convert for one thing is a must in near future, you will gain more then you think i know first hand, except i went with 1.6 off the bat installed. Also for the money you should install the lt4 knock MODUAL into your pc, i garuntee your getting some timing retard from the CC305 and what not, im not saying alot but enough. I ran the same times as you did 13.2 except i went with 1.6 and had the stock tune. Till this day i still have the stock tune and run consistantly 13.2 on days just like todays midwest weather. Give it sometime dont give up on the combo yet, you'll get more out of it if you stick with it and just play with your combo a bit youll like it in the long run. Go bigger then cc305 and your gonna loose some daily driving attributes. Follow the good advice your getting from everyone and you'll you be in the 12's for sure with some cooler weather, and some good tires.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 PM

Yeah... im sure the rockers have something to do with it... Almost forgot Iroc, as far as shift points, theyre set at 6200 and the car seems to pull strongly to the shifts. I already have the LT4 KM unless the pcm tuners removed it and replaced it with a LT1... which i cant see why bryan would do that,......
-Eric
Old 07-21-2004, 11:28 PM

You will definately need gears and tuning. A stall will greatly help, but I don't think it is essential.

Whoever told you that the 306 is not streetable hasn't been in one that has been properly tuned. I just go mine done and put down the numbers in the sig (not the et). With a Vigilante 2800 stall it drives just as well as when I had the cc305 but I have 50 more rwhp and rwtq.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:33 PM

Okay heres my updated plan....
Go to IrocSS85s this weekend, have him check over everything, and help with any issues we can come accross
Get a 2800-3000rpm stall converter(anyone have one for sale? im on a college student budget)
And Hope my drag radials will stick outta the hole at 3k...

I emailed Bryan at PCMforless about my specs,, all the info he would really give me was my A/F is set at 13.0:1... Seems a little rich to me? But im not really sure what to look for... and 36 Degrees of advance at WOT.

-Eric
Old 07-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Stall, rockers, tune and practice are all your friends.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 PM

maybe im naive when it comes to cams, but i think the underlying problem has been missed here.

Upgrading rockers, gears, stall etc would have helped his car even without the cam, so ofcourse they will help his times now. The problem is, why did the cam swap make him slower? Even on a stock tune, it should be faster with the cc305 than with the stock cam.

It may be that he lost so much low end that he could not adequately make up for it during the quarter mile. This implies that a camshaft swap without gears/stall is totally useless because all u do is screw up your idle and lose .1 on the quarter mile. So there must be something else wrong here.

The car needs a scan for sure. See if there is indeed timing retard or other problem. Otherwise, things to check would be fuel filters, sensors, ignition.

A cammed car will benefit more from a stall and gears than a stock cam, but even without these, I would think the cam itself should reduce quarter mile times.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM

you picked up absolutely nothing with the cam...im gonna say theres some small underlying problem which is making your car not run to its potential (ex: clogged fuel filter)
Old 07-22-2004, 08:38 PM

The fuel filter is brand new... I also have a feeling temperature may have played a roll... It was roughly 90 with very high humidity yesterday.... Hot enough to make you sweat in the shade.... I also believe my valves may be too tight...
Old 07-22-2004, 10:23 PM

The cam did get something. You got about a 1/2 mph over your previous best in weather 20°F hotter. Scan it and go from there. Definently don't panic yet. Did you either advance or retard the cam during install? Could be a million different things.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:19 PM

I'd say go bigger. I put the CC305 in my car and I immediately wished I'd gone bigger. It is VERY tame. Then again, I guess I'm used to 302 stangs with 24x duration! Something about LTx owners being pooh boyish on the cam. I've found basically two kinds of LTx people, those that think a GM847 size cam is about right, and those that think the hotcam is too wild. There is hardly an inbetween. If you plan to go bigger, I would stay with the 1.5 rockers, simply cause it keeps you from having to worry about the valvesprings for a while. 847 cam with 1.7s is over .630 I think.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:22 PM

i wanna see if i can get away with a gm847 with stock verter. Not to steal this thread, i agree that checking valve lash is a good first step.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by brain
I've found basically two kinds of LTx people, those that think a GM847 size cam is about right, and those that think the hotcam is too wild.
The 847 is a bit small.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ellis
The cam did get something. You got about a 1/2 mph over your previous best in weather 20°F hotter. Scan it and go from there. Definently don't panic yet. Did you either advance or retard the cam during install? Could be a million different things.
that lil bit of mph could be credited to the slower 60 foot
Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 PM

I think it was an honest gain in that respect... I had cut similer 60 fts and worse b4 the cam and never had a mph beyond 103 except my 13.19 run....
Oo well who knows

Quick Reply: Very Disapointed with CC305:( new time blues... plz help...