LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

very rough start, then improves after ~20seconds

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:21 PM

pcm has been switched. Problem is still there. They say the new PCM is giving "some codes" regarding "injector circuits" that the old PCM was not giving.

toby, it tries to start and actually will start until you let the key go. After that you need to give full throttle to keep the rpms up so the car doesnt stall and shut off, and usually even WOT is not enough. I did think the ICM would do anything to the injectors but i dont even know how that works.

I assumed dealerships knew their stuff, i'd love to take my car somewhere else, but in edmonton, Alberta, i have no idea where!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Re: very rough start, then improves after ~20seconds

Before changing the pcm, the codes in memory were:
p0018 Injector Circuit(s)
26 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Circuit
27 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Vacuum Control Signal Solenoid Valve Circuit
42 Ignition Control (IC) Circuit (Shorted or Grounded Circuit)
47 Knock Sensor (KS) Circuit or Module Missing

After changing the pcm, it is setting these cods:
p0018 Injector Circuit(s)
p0021 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit (Signal Voltage High)

Noid light does not flash, so injectors are not receiving a pulse. Wiring harness is good and all the wires conduct electricity. What will cause the injectors to cut out only when trying to start? Dealership doesnt seem to know.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:20 AM

Man I had almost the same problem, hard starts, dying, and an Engine Shop telling me the computer was bad and some injectors werent firing. Turned out to be my opti. Same shop put the opti on later that day and I still had the same problem. I took the car to the dealer and the Engine shop didnt get the opti on right or something, something about the timing pin I think. Anyway, the dealer put on another opti and I never had another problem, except for trying to get the Engine Shop to pay for my second opti. I really got burned on that one. I am almost sure you still have opti problems. Make whoever changed that opti check it out. if you just had one put in and it is the cluprit, make them square the damage. Hell it isnt your fault. Computers going bad are rare, and optis will throw you all kinds of different problems and codes will go haywire. That injector code and description of your problems sounded exactly like mine. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:40 PM

the mechanic told me today that the pcm is reading incorrect rpm during cranking. It reads spikes of 5000rpm and thats why it cuts fuel to the injectors. He is not sure what would cause that.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:33 PM

update...

After the dealer billed me $2264.53 and told the problem is with the injectors, I changed the ignition switch. Part cost $34 Ca and the problem is gone.

Thanx for your help everyone. Reason I did not change the ignition switch off the bat is because the dealer quoted over $400 for the switch. He must have been talking about some other part!

I'll write to GM Canada and see if I can get a refund

Thanx again guys, i could not have done this without your help.