LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Very strange no start issue on 94 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Very strange no start issue on 94 Z28

I've been fighting with my 94 Z28 for a while now in regard to a no start issue. It started off intermittent and originally only would occur after driving for a while and the engine coming up to temperature. When I could get it started, there were no running issues, I could drive it for as long as I wanted without any problems. Once it cooled back down, I could start it again. Now it has reached the point where I cannot get it to start at all, all I get is a constant click from the starter.

For info, I have a brand new battery that I know works and I replaced the starter a few months back, which seemed to correct the problem for a short time. I have also replaced the ignition switch, as that is a known issue for weird electrical problems. I've checked the fuses and the fuse box, no apparent issues that I can find. Now today I have noticed that when I close the driver's side door, the fuel pump will make the startup noise and the SES light will flash off and on. No codes at anytime during any of this either.

It seems like a grounding or shorting issue at this point but anyone who's experienced anything similar that could direct me to where the most likely suspects are would be very helpful. I'm would like to be able to fix this issue 100% so I can drive this car when I'm home.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Very strange no start issue on 94 Z28

Have you verified that there is no corrosion on the ends of the positive and negative battery cables, and that the internal strands of wire have not been corroded.

The fuel pump relay is under the plastic "dead pedal" by the driver's left foot. Might have something loose in there if closing the driver's door seems to promote intermittent contact.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 PM

No corrosion on the terminals. The cable internals are one of my concerns, I haven't gotten a chance to spend the time to start going over the grounds and cabling for a full corrosion check yet. I hope to have some time this week since I'll be in town.

I didn't know that the fuel pump relay was under the dead pedal so I will start with that. Do you happen to know if that could cause the voltage gauge on the dash to drop on an off as well? That is apparently also happening when the door is shut too.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 PM

After spending a few hours going over everything I finally found the problem. The starter ground cable was no longer attached but had managed to wedge itself against a heat shield, causing an intermittent connection until just recently. It was still touching just enough to let the starter click and send power to the PCM/fuel pump, closing the door hard would cause it to jump just enough to reset everything. I'm guessing when the engine warmed up the cable moved, which is why it would start again when cold before it stopped working entirely. I also found a couple other bad ground cables during my search, so I replaced those as well. Thanks Injuneer for the help!