LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Very Unusual Problem(Car Cutting Off))

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:05 PM

Unhappy Very Unusual Problem(Car Cutting Off))

Well, I seem to be having a very weird problem: here it is, it started after i changed my oil yesterday, well it wasd raining hard yesterday, and I hit a puddle, and then I went to make a right turn without stopping and the car died on me, it happened a second time also. When I stop and make a right turn, the car is fine, and when I make any left turn the car is fine, and it is fine driving staight down the road. Drove car again today, and I was making the same right turn, and it died on me again! I was listening to the catalytic converter, and it's making all kinds of noise, sounds like it's garggling, could this be the problem? Also, I need to fill up on gas, maybe it's fuel related, I'm almost empty, and maybe with a full tank it won't do it, gonna check it out. Any suggestions would be awesome!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Thumbs down

TTT>>>>>>>>>>>somebody please help!
Old 06-20-2004, 03:08 PM

Sounds like you got water in the opti..... It should dry out in a day....
Old 06-20-2004, 03:33 PM

wish my opti would dry out. Mine is a 93 so no hole for moisture relief. I thought once an opti is wet its all over.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:40 PM

Question Water in opti?

Yeah, my car is a 1994, and I do not have a vented opti, how is it gonna dry out?
Old 06-20-2004, 05:43 PM

Thumbs down

Any more suggestions, I don't want to have to replace my opti tomorrow, did it last july, good thing is it's under warranty and I don't have to pay anything for a new one, but it's a PITA to replace!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:53 PM

-

Don't feel bad. My car is dead too. It may be my opti. My ignition system is not working. No fire. Trying to nail down it's problem myself.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:56 PM

One day and a hairdryer actually worked for me. Mine didn't die though, just ran like crap. Such a stupid design.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:30 AM

Thumbs down

My car runs fine goin down the street and making left turns, and making right turns from a stop, it only wants to die or will die when i am making a rolling right turn, that's why I am skeptical that it is the optispark that is giving me problems!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:02 AM

Well, did you try putting more gas in it??
Old 06-21-2004, 09:15 AM

if you got a 94...and if your opti got drenched, your gonna have to replace it...same thing happened to me but i washed it under the hood the first day i got it..not knowing about my opti not being vented.. i went ahead and replaced the water pump..why i was at it.

if you got over 95,000 miles on stock water pump..you might as well replace the water pump while your doing the opti, cuz i'd hate to see you put your brand new opti in drive around for about 2 months then the water pump goes and spills all over your opti again.

Don't feel bad...I thought my car was underpowered..for a while it was 2 of th espark plug wires were burned up so i redid all plugs, opti, water pump, then to learn that my brake pads were almost getting into my rotors so i replaced those to..then fuel pump and fuel filter, then sensors were bad..that month was a very costly month ...when it rains it poors
Old 06-21-2004, 03:46 PM

f

sounds like my luck with the f-bodies ive owned.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:21 PM

Why don't you try putting more gas in it and reporting back to us. Maybe if you're lucky when you're making those right turns you're splashing the gas up off the pump, causing a fuel pressure loss and your car to die.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Thumbs down What a headache!

Well I filled it up with gas, and that was not the problem, still wanted to die when I made a right turn! Took old opti off, and returned it for a new one, put new one on without a hitch, it was a piece of cake changing it this time. car ran good for a while, was not dieing when turning right. Drove to the gym, then to Publix, and on the way back from Publix it started sputtering, and it died on me about a half a mile from my house. So, obviously the opti wasn't the problem, but now I got a new opti in her, and I fixed my oil leak, but she is not running now, gotta check the MSD when the rain stops. My MSD box is mounted underneath the car on the bumper support, and mybe it got wet when i hit the puddle yesterday, so hopefully that is my problem. My waterpump was replaced about 8 months ago, so i got that covered. I'll report back when I am able to disconnect the MSD, and hook up stock ignition.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:39 PM

Talking Problem Solved!

The MSD box must have gotten wet because I disconnected it and the car runs like a champ. But, my catalytic converter is making all kinds of noise, and I think it's clogged, exhaust sounds like it is coughing, could this be a problem?

Quick Reply: Very Unusual Problem(Car Cutting Off))