LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Video of me at the track.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Interesting that it is very rare for cars at least on this website cannot trap above 116mph with reputable heads/cam combos where the heads have reportedly flowed 280+cfm and dynoed 39x/4xxrwhp... It seems nowadays the running norm is having to dyno at least 420rwhp in order to run anwhere close to 118-120mph through the traps.
If you haven't realized it yet there's always an untold story when it comes to modifying, the dyno, the flow bench and racing whether it be from the person or the components.
demon
What's your race weight?
I went almost 113 traps with stock heads and a little cc503 almost 3 years ago in an automatic with a stall; I feel I'm pretty aware of what these cars can and can't do at the track after probably 350+ passes behind the wheel of an LT1.

118 in a 6spd with a better/bigger cam and a "mild" set of heads, to me, is not unbelievable.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I went almost 113 traps with stock heads and a little cc503 almost 3 years ago in an automatic with a stall; I feel I'm pretty aware of what these cars can and can't do at the track after probably 350+ passes behind the wheel of an LT1.

118 in a 6spd with a better/bigger cam and a "mild" set of heads, to me, is not unbelievable.
Race weight? If I remember correctly I thought you did some weight reduction? Again... how many members do you see on this very board running 118mph traps with reputable "mild" heads and cam combos?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 AM

Race weight? If I remember correctly I thought you did some weight reduction? Again... how many members do you see on this very board running 118mph traps with reputable "mild" heads and cam combos?
That's because most people don't set up their cars right, they have mail order tunes, and they can't drive. Just randomly throwing parts at a car won't make it that fast like most people tend to believe. If you do some digging I'm sure you can find a bunch of cars trapping 120+. And I don't know what I'm going to pick up its not an exact science. And if you look at the pics you can tell my heads were far from an all out portjob.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 AM

That can be true in some instances, but not all. Most GTP/306 cam stuff back in the '90's was averaging that kind of mph and that was when Craig was doing quality work.
I hope you get your money's worth.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM

!swaybar !spare !jack & I run 3.5" frontrunners at the track, those old times are either on nitto DR's or ET Streets on salad shooters at the back (since been replaced with 15x10 Prostars)

Those are the only 3 things out of my car. My backseats are in and the car is full weight aside from those 3 items. Fully loaded car w/ leather seats, 12 CD changer, blah blah...

My car tips the scale as above at 3330 w/o drive. With me in the car it's 3500 even.

There's alot of ****-poor drivers on this site as far as I can tell. I also know what you're talking about as far as alot of cars running ****ty MPH with heads/cam cars; you know what I see in that? All these guys are posting their times/mph of their first time out and never go back... it seems very few are consistent in going to the track again later, they're just not track guys.

I didn't get my best pass or best MPH out of my first runs down the track, and after messing with the setup some I yanked some killer times out of it. Few people take the time to do that, and Rob (speedemon) has put time, $ and tuning into his combo to make it work.

I guess if I get bored later I'll search out cars who've gone "fast" with minimal work.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 AM

I agree with the ****ty drivers, but then again there are those I've known who've driven the **** out of their cars for years go with quality combos from well known shops trap between 117-120mph.
I'm not sure you'll understand, but in the more than 10 years I've screwed around with LT1's and seeing results from many of my friends as well as myself I just cannot believe heads w/ those flow numbers can turn that kind of mph.
Hell... maybe I'm completely wrong... If LE is able to get them to flow better then what's alleged that should make one HELLUVA difference in the 1/4. If that's the case he better become the poster child for LE/BRE products!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM

I'm not sure you'll understand, but in the more than 10 years I've screwed around with LT1's and seeing results from many of my friends as well as myself I just cannot believe heads w/ those flow numbers can turn that kind of mph.
Why wouldn't I? I've been messing with LT1's for 8 years myself.

I've been through the days of GTP heads being the rage and such, I know what you're talking about as far as 117-118 being the norm.

BUT I've also seen too many cars "run faster than they should be" to doubt people's results. I've taken some "no way you can run that with just a cam" comments too many times myself. Hell, even some of the Ai results on stock LT1 castings are pretty out of this world, Alek's (526 SS 96's) car on stock castings is nothing short of mind boggling (even if it's a solid roller), and there's another car on there going 125 traps, supposedly full weight... but I'm not springing any doubt on them. If a car on their site with "good" heads and a HR cam can go 125, why can't a car with a custom HR grind and "meh" heads go 118?

Let's go from there shall we?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
That's because most people don't set up their cars right, they have mail order tunes, and they can't drive. Just randomly throwing parts at a car won't make it that fast like most people tend to believe. If you do some digging I'm sure you can find a bunch of cars trapping 120+. And I don't know what I'm going to pick up its not an exact science. And if you look at the pics you can tell my heads were far from an all out portjob.
Exactly! Too many times on this site do you see someone perform exceptionally well then have his results questioned. Most times its going to be the person who is sitting there saying to themselves, "I spent ten times more money on my car and I haven't run that fast so it can't be true." I got the same kind of backlash when I was running my car with nothing more than 4.10's and an HPP. Nonetheless congrats on your run and keep up the good work.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 AM

I see where SS RRR is coming from. Lots of guys on this site with reputable combos havent been getting that mph with good heads. Alot is in the tuning and how well the combo works.

I ran consistent 114mph 368rwhp/336rwtq LE2 heads and 230/236 cam with mailorder tune. Just playing with the fuel moved the #'s to 383rwhp/353rwtq... probably would have got me to 116mph traps... but my numbers are about average for my combo. I powershifted every gear except the 2-3 shift. Drove that 3500# beotch like I stole it (it also had 3.73's).

Obviousy the thread starter ran what it ran and thats awesome. problem is he doesnt know what cam is in there and we all need to sit back and see what results he gets when he gets LE heads for the setup. Hopefully he runs even faster...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by RealQuick

Obviousy the thread starter ran what it ran and thats awesome. problem is he doesnt know what cam is in there and we all need to sit back and see what results he gets when he gets LE heads for the setup. Hopefully he runs even faster...
Yes he does, it's a custom BRE grind.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Yes he does, it's a custom BRE grind.
I thought he wasnt sure what size BRE cam it was?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 AM

I thought he wasnt sure what size BRE cam it was?
He is, he's the one that ordered it
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Nope, the heads were on my car when I bought it. I think Bret said the cam is between an LE1 and LE2 cam, I'm not sure if its closer to one or the other but it works in my car so thats all that matters to me.
I was going off this post... I thought he was unsure what cam was in there.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM

I was going off this post... I thought he was unsure what cam was in there.
Ah, he was unsure of what the exact LE1 and LE2 specs were at the time, and I believe was trying to give people a general idea of what the size was w/o divulging the custom specs
Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 AM

very nice runs, car sounds great. Are those the 60' times in your sig? or was that a different run?

Quick Reply: Video of me at the track.