LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Want 1.6 RR's, which are the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Want 1.6 RR's, which are the best?

Hey fellas, i couldnt quite find what i was looking for with a search. Im planning on getting some RR's here soon and as this is my 1st experience with this type of engine (my past is mainly with rotaries) i dont know much about quality aspects of rockers. Is there a benchmark brand that is considered "the best" and others that are junk? Is there a sizeable difference? Also, i see there are basically 2 diff types one being self aligning and others that are not. I assume the self aligning are a better way to go but can someone elaborate? Lastly, will the rockers work fine with all the other stock components or will i need (or should i) to get all new springs, retainers, lifters, ect.... Have a number of around $500 that i would like to stay around/under for this particular mod. I know they typically go cheaper but i always budget for all the little extras involved.

My end goal is to have my car in the 350whp range when im finished with it, nothing too crazy but solid. Along with parts in my sig i will have new LT's, ORY and Magnaflow on the car here within a couples weeks. Just some info in where i am heading here soon as to guage your responses. Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 AM

Re: Want 1.6 RR's, which are the best?

You really should replace the springs when you do this swap.

As far as rockers go; Comp Pro Mags are probably the standard to go by. Light, strong, good materials and narrow bodies.

Self aligning rocker arms use tabs on the nose of the rocker to keep them from rotating off of the valve. Non-self aligning rocker arms don't use these tabs but instead use guide plates. Non-self aligning rockers are generally considered to be more stable since there is almost no way for the pushrods or rocker arms to move laterally but will have the added expense of guide plates and possibly hardened pushrods for later LT1 engines.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 AM

Great info thanks. I now get a general the reasoning for the self aligning vs. non aligning. Now, i mean how many real cases of the rockers moving lateraly has there been? My guess is that its a rare occurence that is generally experienced by high hp applications? Im not looking to go much over 350whp so would i really need upgraded push rods?

Just the RR's (self aligning) and the new springs and i am good to go with existing supporting parts/hardware?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jonesz28
Great info thanks. I now get a general the reasoning for the self aligning vs. non aligning. Now, i mean how many real cases of the rockers moving lateraly has there been? My guess is that its a rare occurence that is generally experienced by high hp applications? Im not looking to go much over 350whp so would i really need upgraded push rods?

Just the RR's (self aligning) and the new springs and i am good to go with existing supporting parts/hardware?
Self-aligning rockers have failed far more often than non self-aligning rockers. The alignment tabs can wear down enough for the rocker to slip off the valve stem. Rare, but it happens with lower budget rockers.

Non self-aligning rockers REQUIRE hardened pushrods but it does not hurt to pick up a $30 set of aftermarket hardened rods if you have doubts. They are FAR more reliable than SAs.

If you go with SA rockers, you need the rockers, springs, retainers and locks.

If you go with NSA rockers, you need the rockers, guideplates, springs, pushrods, retainers and locks. And since you have to remove the rocker studs to install the guideplates, it is very common to upgrade the size of the rocker stud to 7/16" (stock is 3/8"). There is no drawback to upgrading the size of the stud, so it's pretty much a given to upgrade since new studs are cheap.

In my honest opinion having been in the LT1 game for 11 years now, I would go with the NSAs. Only marginally more expensive, more stable and reliable, and can handle any future upgrades you may add later. I am running the same setup on my 383 except with beehive springs and Crane Gold rockers and wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM

It may cost a little more money, but get new 7/16 studs and roller rockers, as the LT1 head is already ready for them, and make sure you get LT1 guide plates as standard SBC guide plates are different.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks this is the specific info i was looking for. Where is the best place/site to order these parts? Thinkin Jegs but i have heard some less than stellar reviews of them. Can i just get them all in a Kit? Or do i have to piece it all together? Didnt see a kit for the Comp pro mag springs. If i have to piece together, what outside diamter retainers would i need to go with the Pro mag springs? What degree (7, 10) locks? Diameter and # for Springs?

Want to make sure i dont screw up and get something diff size or wont fit correctly.

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Self-aligning rockers have failed far more often than non self-aligning rockers. The alignment tabs can wear down enough for the rocker to slip off the valve stem. Rare, but it happens with lower budget rockers.

Non self-aligning rockers REQUIRE hardened pushrods but it does not hurt to pick up a $30 set of aftermarket hardened rods if you have doubts. They are FAR more reliable than SAs.

If you go with SA rockers, you need the rockers, springs, retainers and locks.

If you go with NSA rockers, you need the rockers, guideplates, springs, pushrods, retainers and locks. And since you have to remove the rocker studs to install the guideplates, it is very common to upgrade the size of the rocker stud to 7/16" (stock is 3/8"). There is no drawback to upgrading the size of the stud, so it's pretty much a given to upgrade since new studs are cheap.

In my honest opinion having been in the LT1 game for 11 years now, I would go with the NSAs. Only marginally more expensive, more stable and reliable, and can handle any future upgrades you may add later. I am running the same setup on my 383 except with beehive springs and Crane Gold rockers and wouldn't do it any other way.

Last edited by jonesz28; 09-23-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM

pm sent