16.5 gal tank LS1
10%... 1.65 gallons (x) + 14.85 (93)
20%... 3.3 gallons (x) + 13.2 (93)
30%... 4.95 gallons (x) + 11.55 (93)

15.5 gal tank LT1
10%... 1.55 gallons (x) + 13.95 (93)
20%... 3.1 gallons (x) + 12.4 (93)
30%... 4.65 gallons (x) + 10.85 (93)

heres what i've got so far. you can get it at sherman williams paint supply, lowes hardware, and home depot. this stuff is hardcore DO NOT BREATH IT OR GET IT ON YOU. IT WILL EAT PAINT. But, it ups your octane in the formulas above. our cars run off computer so it will take a little bit for it to recalibrate for the uped octane. you mix over 30% your asking for trouble.

DO I need to mix with marv. mystory oil for lub purposes?
how does this mix with regular gas, will it go strait to the bottom of the tank and not mix?

this is what i've found with serches thus far and needed those ?'s answered before my z gets to drink it.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:31 PM

Re: want 100.2 octane? Xylene mixture for octane boost

i guess i want to ask why you think you need 100 octane gas?

if you are not getting knock with 93, than upping the octane won't gain you much.

now if you are running some high boost or something....

but on a bolt on LT1??
Old 12-08-2005, 01:00 PM

i thought higher octane the better? i know its ok to runer lower octane as long as it doesn't knock. i could run 89 in my car but it doesn't run as well. may be because computer is calibrated for it? our engines are high compression so i thought higher the better?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Critter
... But, it ups your octane in the formulas above. our cars run off computer so it will take a little bit for it to recalibrate for the uped octane....
What do you feel the PCM will "recalibrate" for a change in octane? I has only one sensor that would be affected by the change in octane, and that's the knock sensor. The PCM can "toggle" between low octane (87) fuel and the required octane fuel (91). It can't do any more than read the knock sensor. If there is no knock, and there should not be in a stockish engine running the correct fuel, the PCM will not "recalibrate" anything.

Once you reach the level of octane that eliminates knock, there are no further gains to be had. Going to 100-octane on a stockish engine is a huge waste of money. Its fairly easy to make a lot of power on 93 octane pump gas.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Injuneer is right. Once the computer sees there is no knock, it won't care what octane you have, and actually cannot read octane levels in the first place. Almost all knock gets eliminated once you get 91-93 octane. So really it is a waste of time to try and mix 30-70 every tank. All I can see it being used for is to make 100% sure there will not be any knock. But 91-93 octane gets so close to max performance concerning fuel. So after the recommended octane (91), there really is no power to be made.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM

I agree that with a bolt on car adding more octane is pointless. However, just for education purposes I'd like to hear a little more about this. I'll have about 11.3:1 compression, and plan to put a direct port nitrous setup on my car sometime in the future once I get the rest of the drivetrain/chassis up to the task. For some piece of mind I wanted run higher octane than pump gas through the tank, or run pump gas in the tank and have a secondary fuel cell and system for the nitrous with some race gas in it.

I'd like to know the same thing the original poster was asking- is it ok to mix gas and xylene, or does anything else need to be added, and does the mixture stay mixed or will it separate out??
Old 12-08-2005, 03:30 PM

you wanna read more than you can handle?
www.turbobuick.com search for xylene/toulene on there and there'll be 'a lil bit' of info
Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 AM

Excellent, thank you!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:29 AM

I just signed up and did the search. Great info. That might be what I do if needed since the fuel rating here sucks.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:56 AM

Xylene and Toulene are both normal components of gasoline. They will not seperate out. People have been running them for years and years.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:56 AM

aight so its pointless on my car but you made me think of another question. the knock sensor just senses knock to keep the car from blowing if something goes wrong. so more or less its a safty measure. what would an lt4 knock sensor do on a motor such as mine. i know its more forgiving because of the more radical cam of the lt4 but would this affect an lt1 with bolt ons?

i have been told in the past that our computers pick up on how they are driven and are adjusted by our patterns. a z28 that grandma drives and never gives it any gas is not going to be calibrated to fly at woot. a car with someone that is always in it will have that programed into the computer and will be adjusted for a more high performance style. he was an gm tech guy that worked on computers and wiring so i figured he knew what he was talking about.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Critter
aight so its pointless on my car but you made me think of another question. the knock sensor just senses knock to keep the car from blowing if something goes wrong. so more or less its a safty measure. what would an lt4 knock sensor do on a motor such as mine. i know its more forgiving because of the more radical cam of the lt4 but would this affect an lt1 with bolt ons?
There's no such thing as an LT4 knock sensor. The LT4 used the same knock sensor as all the other OBD-II engines. There is an LT4 knock module - a filter that plugs into the PCM - and that may help eliminate valve train noise. It is specifically intended to filter the noise from the LT4's Crane roller rockers, but may help with similar noise.
i have been told in the past that our computers pick up on how they are driven and are adjusted by our patterns. a z28 that grandma drives and never gives it any gas is not going to be calibrated to fly at woot. a car with someone that is always in it will have that programed into the computer and will be adjusted for a more high performance style. he was an gm tech guy that worked on computers and wiring so i figured he knew what he was talking about.
Not really. If you continually use low octane fuel and get excessive knock retard, it will toggle to low octane fuel. Other than that, the PCM "learns" the long term fuel corrections required to keep the A/F ratio at 14.7:1 in closed loop. It also learns the required IAC motor counts so it can go to that position when you start the engine. Other than those items, the PCM will not pick up your driving habits.

Sort of ironic that you dump on "grandma".... I'm a "grandpa" and I drive it the way it was meant to be driven....
Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 PM

ha... both mine drive slow and most the blue hairs from my town drive 5mph in the 30's.... but hey man i know your grandpa driven formula can destroy my 23 year old driven z...

lesson learned don't jack with higher octane with bolt on z...
Old 12-10-2005, 04:25 PM

What's the usual cost of Xylene?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:40 PM

i have used toulene on my old car which had FI, and it worked very well. i can't really see the advantages though on a bolt on lt1 or ls1 though

Quick Reply: want 100.2 octane? Xylene mixture for octane boost