LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Want a low alternator, but keep power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 04:20 PM

Want a low alternator, but keep power steering?

I finished the modified accessory bracket today. Turned out quite well, the Alternator (with some cutting of the bracket) fit right into the AC compressor spot, bought an idler pulley with a bearing in it for the top pulley to route the belt around, other than that, cut the top alternator mount off for looks, and painted everything. I have not figured out what size belt is needed since I dont have a crank pulley in location.

I would be interested in making these to order if anyone wants it. It would involve buying a new bracket, or used, and cutting/grinding, then buying the $30 in parts (pulley/bushing/grade 8 bolt). And some amount of labor, undecided, not much, more to help fellow Fbody guys out than to make money. Let me know if you would be interested or see a way this can be improved. The only thing I can think of to make it better is to find a internal groove replacement pulley for the power steering which would allow getting rid of the top pulley.

email me at jonaddis84@aol.com if you are interested or have questions if you want to do it yourself.

here are the pictures
http://worldisround.com/articles/14895/
Old 09-26-2003, 04:28 PM

If that does what you say it does. . . YOU ROCK ! !
Old 09-26-2003, 05:03 PM

The only thing I noticed was that the Power Steering pump isn't getting enough belt, but then I'd have to see a standard belt setup to see if that would make a difference. Looks friggin' awsome though!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Banned

how much?

also what about the pulley that you have at the top where the alternator used to be? kinda looks like the a/c delete pulley...

this setup works with the stock belt then?

have you actually ran the car with this setup yet?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
how much?

also what about the pulley that you have at the top where the alternator used to be? kinda looks like the a/c delete pulley...

this setup works with the stock belt then?

have you actually ran the car with this setup yet?
The pulley at the top is just a generic serpentine pulley that I got from a local hardware store for $20.

Doubtful on the stock belt, to answer the next question also, I need a test "dummy", since my motor does not exist right now, I cannot chech the belt length because I need the crank pulley in place. If anyone would be interested in a free labor one, just parts cost, I would do it and you could bolt it up and let me know the belt length and if it works alright. I could just send you my bracket and you bolt your own accessories on it, then just take a string around the routing pattern and measure the length of the string.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:15 PM

Thats not exactly how it will ride, notice how low I am holding the belt compared to where the top of the crank pulley will be, there will be a lot more belt on there no problem. If i had to i could put a slightly larger pulley up top, but i cant move it over.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jonaddis84
Thats not exactly how it will ride, notice how low I am holding the belt compared to where the top of the crank pulley will be, there will be a lot more belt on there no problem. If i had to i could put a slightly larger pulley up top, but i cant move it over.
hmmm well hurry up then.. let's get this thing's for sale... i'll take one i would love to move that alternator down low.. then i could get me some nicer valve covers
Old 09-26-2003, 10:44 PM

Injectedss, would you like to be the "test dummy"? I will sell you the bracket you see in the picture for the price of a new one, or if you send me your core, and $30 to cover the top idler pulley. Let me know, if you dont someone else can capitalize on this oppurtunity for free labor.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:51 PM

Weird, I thought this would stir up more interest than it did.
Maybe this has been done in the past and I didnt come up with such a good idea after all? Im still looking for someone to be my test dummy...
Old 09-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jonaddis84
Weird, I thought this would stir up more interest than it did.
Maybe this has been done in the past and I didnt come up with such a good idea after all? Im still looking for someone to be my test dummy...
Yea i'll do it. Might as well

Clean out your inbox dude Lemme know what all I need or how were gonna do this.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:52 PM

****, my bad man, I thought I did, I moved everything into another folder, I thought that was all I had to do, Ill work on that. Anyway, All youll need is a piece of wire, rope, string, anything like that to measure the length of belt you will need. Then just go to any auto parts place and pick it up and its ready to go. Ill include the bolt for the top of the alternator. I guess I can probably just trust you to send me your bracket once you get it off and the new one on. All you have to send me is $40 to cover the pulley/bolts and the shipping. If you wanted, you could send me your alternator, considering its good, and Ill send the nicely painted one. Let me know.