LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wanting to buy lt1 got some questions(please help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 05:50 PM

I'll second the vote for the Vette, if you can afford one. I've driven a 98 quite a bit and it's a great car. The independent rear suspension makes the car a dream to drive. Absolutely no rear end dance on rough roads. And it is really quick, right out of the box. My daily driver is a 97 E320. The vette actually feels like the Merc just driving around, but once you hit the accelerator everything changes. I'll be looking for a used C5 once the C6's come out.

See you,
Glenn
Old 03-26-2004, 06:04 PM

ticket...i street race so i dont start rolling...but dont get me wrong i am taking complete consideration about what youre saying with their reliability...

opinions completly differ cause if i ask this in a vr4 or an eclipse message board they say the opposite...the truth is i lean towards a different route every day

i think before i buy anything im gonna buy an opel gt from my friends dad(all it needs is a battery), and drive it til my next car...then just park it at let the value grow

the thing is i kinda want to get a car rather soon and of course would have to wait quite a bit longer to get the c5 i think im gonna buy either the lt1, 94-95 gt, or eclipse gsx first then decide later after i graduate high school on the vr 4 or the corvette...

overall it sounds like the lt1 are dependable even in high mileage(80-120+)...does everyone agree?
Old 03-26-2004, 06:23 PM

don't get me wrong...i have a fast car to drive fast.
and i do drive fast on the street. but buying a car for the purpose in mind of street racing is not something you should be doing.
atleast in my opinion.

i have street raced, but after some of the things i've seen (with undercover cops) i wouldn't do it again, unless it was a backroad and someone i knew.

however, if you DO want to get a car for street racing. don't get a vette....you need a sleeper. everyone KNOWS a vette is fast.

at the very least get a z28 and take the badging off.

or get a import, that way american cars don't look so bad.

i'm not trying to flame you in any way. but it only takes 1 race to get your car seriously screwed up in a wreck, or get your license taken away.

just cause you've got away with it before, doesn't mean you always will
Old 03-27-2004, 02:58 AM

david i completly understand what youre saying...as far as street racing...that is just a weekend thing(friday and saturday) every other day of the week im in school and after that work...and trust me i know about the cops, and dangers that go with it...and its all about everyone knowing you have a fast car...because then you get your respect pulling up and everyone wonders actually how fast that car is

and the funny thing is on my 99 z i do have the badges removed

last thing what does this mean> "or get a import, that way american cars don't look so bad."
Old 03-27-2004, 01:44 PM

What I have seen is that high-mileage older turbo cars are tricky. I 've had friends but 300ZX TT and Eclipse GS-T's and they have all had turbo problems and were "afraid" of actually really driving the car hard for fear the turbo would completely go out or other serious problems would happen. Unless you have a decent chunk of change around to replace/upgrade turbo's, be careful of those older turbo cars. At least you don't have that worry with NA cars.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:03 PM

Ok her you go... I bought my car with 134K and now has 154k. Everything is stock minus the mods listed below. Only work I have had to have done was a water pump. It didn't cause any problems with the opti either. I am currently having an issue with a input shaft bearing, but was planning on replacing it as I am begining to build up the car starting with the clutch. As far as I know the car has a stock clutch in it and I have never had any clutch slippage. I don't drop the clutch and race it but I don't drive like a grandma. So I would say even the high milage cars are very reliable as long as the previous owner has not beat the crap out it before you get it.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:13 PM

I bought my '93 Z with 113,000 on it. It now has 132,000...give or take. Only things that I have had to replace are the smog pump(A.I.R.), the water-pump(in process now of doing), and the computer.

The water-pump is just one of those things that go. The A.I.R. pump isn't necessarily a part of the engine but I felt it should have been put in there and the computer...well...my mechanic and I have theories that the car had a different chip put in it which caused the computer to fry(93's had chips, 94+ use programmers).

Other things that have gone have been after-market products that were more than likely put on back in '93.

She still runs hard with the same stock A4 transmission. I've taken 2004 Sentra SE-R's and plenty of other cars(can't remember at the moment, the list is with my friend). She definately has a good amount of race in her...heh...no question there.

~Kevin

P.S.
Oh yeah, and I also was keeping up with(for a bit of time) a WRX until he hit third gear. Not bad for a '93 with 127,000 miles on it at the time.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 PM

thanks to all who responded...my decision looks like it's going to be a 95 z28 with an lt4, the guy says it has 436 hp, which i would love to see...the engine and tranny are both new with 7000 miles on them, but if i have any other questions this will be the first place i go to
Old 04-01-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by JP2005
thanks to all who responded...my decision looks like it's going to be a 95 z28 with an lt4, the guy says it has 436 hp, which i would love to see...the engine and tranny are both new with 7000 miles on them, but if i have any other questions this will be the first place i go to
Better get dyno sheets and receipts to what has been done.

or have him do dyno pulls with you there.

Always Verify.

good luck!