LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 PM

Re: Warm up?

i warm it up on my way down my driveway which is a pretty long hill that takes about 1-2 min to get down and just let it coast slowly getting the brakes warm in the process
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 PM

Guess i'm out of luck, im one mile from work! Guess i would never get a chance to WOT with my SS- Z28.

Chas
Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Hell, I get done work at 7am.... I start my car anywhere between, 6:40am and 6:45.... My old man has always started his cars, and let them warm up for long periods of time, so I guess I was just raised that way. It worked for him, he has never had a major problem with a car, and has sold, or given them all away with over 200,000 miles..... I'm a little **** tho.....
Old 04-01-2006, 11:49 PM

Run your cars with the valve covers off some time.

It will make you think about letting them idle for LONG periods of time.

Them rockers, pushrods, valve springs locks and retainers dont get much oil at idle. Theres some, but not much. And this was checked on a 16,700 origional mile LT1 running thin Mobil 5W30 ... That gets about 30 PSI HOT idle. Its in perfect shape. I mean it gets some oil, but I would think on some of the higher mileage cars that already have low oil pressure, letting it warm up and idle for 15-20 minutes at a time is a little over kill

If its frigid out ( I dont drive it in the winter ) I would let it warm up for 5 minutes max. I take it easy on it until I see the oil pressure at normal operating ranges ...

FWIW though, I know a few people that have 5.0's LT1's etc. And the majority of them warm them up for about 20 seconds then beat the living **** out of them. All of these are at at least 80K miles. No problems.

In the summer, I do a 1-2 minute warm up, then take it easy until I drive down my hill and turn around. This takes about another minute or so. Actually I pretty much coast down the hill. Then after that my temp gauge is starting up and the oil is acting like it does when hot. I would think its safe to go WOT then but I like to take it easy for a little while longer. It doesnt botter me to wait an extra few minutes to get on it.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:35 AM

Ive always been told that GM recommends you to not warm up your car at idel excessivly. It warms up faster to just drive it, while babying it. The excessive wear it takes ideling for 5 minutes to get up to temp is greater then if you were to drive it for 2 minutes and get it up to temp. My .02
Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 AM

my ex-cop car probably idled 12 hours a day for the first 120K miles, then I bought it and use it on construction sites, idles all day long in bad weather (engineer/supervisor, sit in the car a lot in Winter), I also let it warm up for 10-30 minutes in the Winter and 5 minutes in the Summer before I run it.

While the 80K mile reliablity of the 20 second warm up, full throttle use sounds impressive, my 95 LT1 is sitting outside with a couple of hundred thousand miles on the odo and will still vaporize the tires anywhere in first gear. I will stick with longer warm-ups and not worry about excessive idling.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 AM

I let it warm up and keep the revs low for about 10-15 minutes, as recommended with the p/c to not go above 2500 rpm until warmed up. Before the s/c, i would probably wait a minute or two and then keep it kinda quiet for a few miles.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:30 AM

15 seconds when it's hot and 30 seconds when it's cold.

You're not trying to 'warm' up your engine. You just want to get the oil to fully circulate (i.e. to the rockers and back down).

Once the engine is being fully lubricated (30 seconds max), you want to get it to operating temps and quickly as possible. You don't want it to be chugging in your driveway running rich, because it's in open loop.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:37 AM

No matter the outside temperature, I start my car, fasten the seat belt, turn on the radio, and go. Anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds or so. I drive "normally" until the thermostat opens and then it's on like Donkey Kong! I can't believe some of you guys sit there for five or ten minutes letting your car "warm up". That is ridiculous! I can't imagine all that fuel washing down the cylinder walls is doing much good, but to each his own I guess. On modern, fuel injected cars, there really is no reason for a "warm-up" period.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:54 PM

I'm not sure if anyone looked at what I wrote. My car runs like crap when it's cold. It bucks and just runs horribly. If I have to Ill get in wait a minute and go but Id rather just let everything warm up so my low rpm driving isnt so bad.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:58 PM

I live at the beach... so its constantly like 75-80 here in the afternoon... I warm up my Z before work for like 3-4 minz then go..
Old 04-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by LT1Mike
I live at the beach... so its constantly like 75-80 here in the afternoon... I warm up my Z before work for like 3-4 minz then go..
Damn if it's 80 degrees I don't think you even need to go that long.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I'm not sure if anyone looked at what I wrote. My car runs like crap when it's cold. It bucks and just runs horribly. If I have to Ill get in wait a minute and go but Id rather just let everything warm up so my low rpm driving isnt so bad.
That's not normal.

Beside a little bit of normal piston slap, my car runs just as smooth when first started at minus 20 C as it does when at operating temps.

Sounds like a fuel problem to me... maybe your fuel pump chugs when it's cold?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GT KILLER
Damn if it's 80 degrees I don't think you even need to go that long.

Well my reason is simply because im organizing b4 work... Like i used to smoke cigs so i would have one before and listen to my borla hahah... But now I just either clean the car or check everything i dunno... im weird.. hahaha
Old 04-02-2006, 08:16 PM

In the really cold weather, my truck F150, 300-6, idles high for the first minute or two. It also takes excessive gas for it to move "like it should". Once its warmed up, it takes much less throttle to get the same results.

Quick Reply: Warm up?