LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

WARNING to all that have electric WP...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 01:14 PM

Re: WARNING to all that have electric WP...

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
umm... damn.

couple things.

one, you dont want to solder the RELAY in place... you can solder the connector, but not the relay itself. that would just be stupid. btw, while its a very debatable subject, and one can make a compelling argument either way for soldered connections, in this case, it really doesnt make much diff.

two. if you're smart, you installed your water pump using the same relays the rest of the car uses. pull one from another source ( the air pump one someone suggested sounded good..) another good one would be the driving lights, horn or power window.

three.
what does a relay do? it just triggers a high current switch with a low current one.
the simplest solution is to temporarily jump the plug where the relay is.. this will safely turn the water pump on all the time... then you just drive to the nearest auto store or home or wherever and get a new relay later.

having it fail safe is a great idea.. athough that would probly envolve two relays unless you dont mind pulling the WP power thru the ignition on circuit.

btw, every factory connector on your car, from the pins on the ECM, to the connectors on the sensors to the lights, EVERYTHING is crimp connectors. not soldered.

soldering provides a great electrical connection. crimping provides a great MECHANICAL connection.
ideally, you want both. crimp it properly to stay into place, then solder it.
jsut be sure to brace any soldered connector properly. solder makes it so the connection cannot flex. if its forced to flex (say by soldering a ring terminal, bolting the ring down, and having the soldered connection support the wire.) then cracks can form in the solder, possibly leading to failure or atleast higher resistance....
Soldering>Connectors in any LOAD BEARING connection.

PERIOD. Mine's soldered at the relay, and the fuse is soldered inline. The only connectors are at the chassis ground spots and are bolted down.

Last edited by Spinner; 09-08-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 PM

I tend to agree. Electrical is something not to mess around with. I shiver everytime a car comes into the shop with wireing run all over the place and hot wires from teh battery run under the hood, through the door to inside of the car. If you want a healthy connection the solder or secure wire to wire contact is a must. Under the right conditions a relay will hardly ever fail.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

I use Dean's two pin connectors. Almost zero resistance, .

j/k
Old 09-08-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn 97 Z28 M6
I use Dean's two pin connectors. Almost zero resistance, .

j/k
I have a deans plug replacing that weak post on my starter solenoid. Those things rule
Old 09-08-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
Soldering>Connectors in any LOAD BEARING connection.

PERIOD. Mine's soldered at the relay, and the fuse is soldered inline. The only connectors are at the chassis ground spots and are bolted down.
umm. if the connection (and not the connector) is supporting the load, its wrong. peroid.

theres a electrical connection, and a mechanical connection.

say/do whatever you want though. not my car.