LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

water damage to z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:00 PM

Angry water damage to z28

I have a thought for all of you.

My girlfriend decided that my car needed a bath. So she drove it into a pond. great. (drag slicks & rain)

So, now here is what is going on.

When the car is cold, it starts right up. When it gets hot, it doesn't start. I thought it was the starter, but get this.

When it is hot, and I turn the key, the starter wants to jump right to it's job, but then like a 1/2 second later, it just dies down and r.....r.....r.

When I turn the key back, the power amp gauge in the instrument cluster is showing somewhere @8 to 9 volts. 1/2 a second later after I let up off of the key (start poisition) I hear a click from under the hood like a switch or relay, and my amp gauge in the cluster jumps up to @12 to 13 volts.

I've checked my battery, and it had 12.56 volts.

I called to my bud at the starter rebuild place, and he said that my starter shouldn't be doing this only when it is hot, it should be doing this when it is cold also if it was a starter problem. (and he knows about it being under water for @2 to 3 hrs.)

I'll take any recomendations. I haven't started tracing this out yet.

My engine was water locked, due to the cold air induction being under water when it was running, so I had to take all the plugs out of the engine at the secene and drain the engine to crank up the car after the tow truck wenched me out.

The water was all inside of the car. The only part of the gearshift that you could see was the little ball of top, M6)

The engine bay was summerged up a bit, but the top of the engine and computer didn't get wet. TG

Hopefully we'll get this straightned out.

Thanks

D Moss

My brother's 1995 Z28 for sale: 4500 RED, 130000 MILES.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:09 PM

My Mom submerged her car during a severe thunderstorm once (couldn't see the water over the road) and hydro-locked her motor and water logged everything under the engine bay. Even after purging the water, changing the oil, etc it still wouldn't run quite right. Good one minute dead the next. It was a mess but after about 2-weeks of sitting all the symptoms went away and the car has ran great for the last two years. We figured the 2-weeks was the "drying out" period for all the electrical connections, etc. In your situation there's a chance that a few of your electrical connections are still water logged.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:03 PM

This would be your EX girlfriend correct?
Yeah let er dry out and hope for the best.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:19 PM

I'd pull all the relays one at a time to see if it 'cures' anything
If that thing runs at all consider yourself very fortunate...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 PM

OPTI? ohh yeh and i want to hear the story how the hell she drove your car into the pond lol
Old 08-08-2003, 09:48 AM

ditch (pond) story

Well, of course, it wasn't her fault.

It was the great giant hand of holy water that grabbed the car and pulled it into this gigantic ditch @4 feet deep FULL of running water.

It was raining very hard, and there was running water across the road. Most people wouldn't drive through this.

When I pulled the car out of the ditch, and put my key into the switch and turned it on, the windsheild wipers and defroster was on wide open. My guess is that she couldn't see and didn't want to pull over and wait it out.

....And of course she wasn't going all that fast,

but the car slid 50 yards before it came to a stop.

So...I'm going to look for some things and keep yall posted.

Thanks everyone

David Moss
Old 08-20-2003, 07:33 AM

FIXED

Alright yall,

The starter was the culprit!

The whole end of the starter had been knocked off. I guess it was when the motor was locked up and we tried to start it. It didn't sound good at all when the starter tried to engage.

Anyway, Advance took it back under warranty and I came away with spending nothing but time on the water damaged car.

Oh yeah, and I had to slap that bi*ch around a little.

She's cleaning up the house real good now!

Later

D Moss
Old 08-20-2003, 06:14 PM

dood don't tell her you didn't hafta spend anything but time.. that makes it okey.. tell her you had to go get the whole engine rebuilt that afternoon
Old 08-21-2003, 07:34 AM

yeah,

no doubt. If she only knew that I came out that good, she would want to go shopping or something. I guess I'll have to draw out some money out of the "ol checko acounto" and tell her that I had to use that money for car parts.

Later yall

D Moss