LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Water pump going out...Leaning towards new vs rebuilt...thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Water pump going out...Leaning towards new vs rebuilt...thoughts???

Title pretty much says it all, I'm leaning towards the new ones O'reilly sells vs their rebuilts. Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Re: Water pump going out...Leaning towards new vs rebuilt...thoughts???

how about getting an eletric pump...i seem to recall one of them has some kind of indicator with it if it's on it's last legs...rather then just crapping out like the stock ones.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:53 PM

I have had two rebuilt ones since my OEM went out. The first replacement never went out on me... as a preventive maintenance I replaced the Alternator.. Opty Spark, Water Pump.. Timing Chain... gaskets .. seals.. what have you..

The water pump I replaced was a remanufactured and so the new one is.. the first thing I noticed is that the front plate cover.. had a very slow leak.. I carefully tighnted the bolts... and presto.. it stayed in the car good 5 years... the new one I just installed had the exact same slow leak in the front cover and it is a remanufactured one too... oh I already said that.. anyway. I did the exact same thing... just tighnted the bolts and is just as good as new.

I replaced the old remanufactured water pump only because my opty was at 148k miles and going on strong but I had the money and time and I bought a brand new opty instead of waiting to get stranded with a nice piece of... err girlfriend in the passenger side .... I wasnt about to leave that 5 year old water pump in there to execute my new opty when it went out of old age ya know.... My alternator was fine but the bearing had a tiny rubbing sound... I replace it and got it out of the way.. Again.. I had the money and time.

I had a very good luck with remanufactured water pumps... Just make sure you are gentle when you tightn those front cover plate bolts.. dont wanna break anything there...

Marvin

*edit** I have never replace a water pump with a new one.. all the others in other cars I owned have bee re-reman's.

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 02-01-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 PM

I dont have a problem with remans, but I get a discount since one of my best friends owns a shop, so the price diff is about 20 bucks, he says the newer ones are better because a lot of the original bugs are worked out. He does a lot of that stuff so I figured for 20 bucks...midaswell
Old 02-02-2005, 02:15 AM

Well, I'll be finding out soon enough myself. I bought a reman from Pep Boys at ~$45. It came with cardboard-looking paper gaskets. I'm hoping those 2 gaskets are more than sufficient. This is all after having the waterpump do a major waterfall onto my opti. I'm hoping my opti isn't wasted I'll find that out after this wp replacement. I plan to stay away from the electric wp's.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ponyackn
Well, I'll be finding out soon enough myself. I bought a reman from Pep Boys at ~$45. It came with cardboard-looking paper gaskets. I'm hoping those 2 gaskets are more than sufficient. This is all after having the waterpump do a major waterfall onto my opti. I'm hoping my opti isn't wasted I'll find that out after this wp replacement. I plan to stay away from the electric wp's.
I doubt you're opti is ruined, it will probably be ok, vented opti's were much better about surviving the crash of the pump then the previous non vented opti's.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 AM

My Remanufactured one from Pep Boys hasn't had any problems since I bought it a couple of years ago. Knock on wood
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 PM

I ****ing hate the mechanical ones. Once I got electric, I never looked back, the car never went past the 1st mark ever, even sitting at idle in 90º heat I had no problems.

Vote for electric here.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Larnach
I ****ing hate the mechanical ones. Once I got electric, I never looked back, the car never went past the 1st mark ever, even sitting at idle in 90º heat I had no problems.

Vote for electric here.

What kind did you go with?

And nice writing under your name
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by IrocManiac
I doubt you're opti is ruined, it will probably be ok, vented opti's were much better about surviving the crash of the pump then the previous non vented opti's.
I never knew that That's comforting to hear. I have 106k on that opti/wp and the opti has survived the cam swap and all. I think death is invevitable
Old 02-02-2005, 07:44 PM

I like my waterpumps like I like my underpants, NEW and unused. Especailly when its a high reliability item like a WP or underpants.

-Dustin-