LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Weird Clunk!!! Clutch? Tranny? Rearend? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 04:48 PM

Exclamation Weird Clunk!!! Clutch? Tranny? Rearend? Help!!

First of all i had shifting problems about a month ago where the car refused to shift for a whole day(yes just 1 day).

Well it cleared up and shifted fine after. But now im starting to get a weird clunk feeling when i engage a gear.
Almost feels like its making the car stop for a second or something.

It also has a feeling if i jump on it, like its slipping for a second. Basically just a quick clunk. Or kinda like the gears slip and then catch.

I dont know. I was thinking clutch because of the shifting problems but it seems to be grabbing once i get on it. Also no problem spinning the tires.

Im kinda leaning towards the rear gears. 175K miles on them now(3.42's) and they have been through alot of abuse. And the oil was a little low last time i checked it.

Could the gears be causing the car to have the jolt when i jump on it? Or is it just the clutch being stupid? Or a combination of a few things?

Thanks alot. And i know its hard to guess off of clunks and what not so feel free to ask more questions.

Edit: last time at the track i also complained of feeling/hearing a noise from the rearend.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:13 PM

Might take a look at some little things like u-joints or transmission mount. When does it make the noise? Every gear or at take off, what about reverse.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:23 PM

I gonna have to agree with the tranny mount. Does it sound like the clunk is near the tranny or can you tell that its behind you in the rear end. If thats the case then there may be spaces in the rear gears. if you have that many miles on them they might be worth changing them out. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Later and keep us updated.
-JOhn
Old 05-08-2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by LT1speed
Might take a look at some little things like u-joints or transmission mount. When does it make the noise? Every gear or at take off, what about reverse.
Hmm transmount could be it as well.

Its not really a noise. More of a feeling like im dumping the clutch or something...

And yes every gear forward/reverse. It engages kinda funny.

Kinda like slack in the drivetrain maybe?. Clutch and gears are gonna be replaced soon enough. Just wondering which should be first.

Guess i should check the joints and mounts while doing that.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:29 PM

Better yet ill be right back. Ill take a quick trip real fast. Make sure of where the sound is comin from.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:42 PM

OK well go figure. I go for a quick drive and get on it. And nothing.

Maybe the tranny is shifting a little from a broken mount? And at sometimes the tranny doesnt mess up because its in the right "location"?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:15 PM

mine makes the same noise, i thought tranny mount, but its not. my rear pinion seal has been leaking and i may be low with fluid, i dunno, maybe it is the gears?? does it do it when your not really goin fast? like just slow roll and shift from first to second a couple times with out letting the clutch out, thats when i hear it a lot