LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

weird rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 AM

Unhappy weird rattle

i get these weird rattle at 2K then it will go away after that but comes right back we i get back down to 2k. i dont know if something is rubbing,but it sound like metal rattling around, i got under the car over the week end and none of the exhaust is hitting anything and it only dose it in drive,please help
Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM

Re: weird rattle

check the flywheel for broken teeth or the bolts i had the same problem with my 95 Z28...thats my only lead for you..my car has did sum weird **** that i never would have suspected like that.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:53 PM

so it could be my flywheel, but wouldnt that casue more of a vibaration, not a rattle.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:40 PM

it could cause both but i would i would definatly get that checked because it could also be some bolts that may have came loose and roolin around in there somewhere.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 PM

it doesnt soud like it cominmg from the tranny it sound like if coming from the left front side, i could be wrong
Old 11-22-2005, 03:35 PM

different rattles come at different engines speeds,it kinda 50/50 on the cause.mine sounded like it was coming from the right front side when i found out that some teeth had been stripped off my flywheel.it could be the exhaust vibrating agianst something too.Thats a tuff one.have you ever inspected the flywheel or flywheel housing?its simple to take that off it should be "4" 1/2 inch bolts under there.There also is a heat deflector covering the exhaust manifold on the left bank that maybe loose.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:38 PM

when your flywheel was messed up were there anyo ther signs like bad performance, stalling,something else that happened
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM

Another possible cause of the rattle is the element inside the catalytic converter. It sounds like bolts in a can. Try having someone step on the gas while you get your ear near it.

The element can break loose from overheating and the overheating can be caused by the engine running too rich causing too much unburned fuel to reach the element. If this is your cause, check to make sure the engine is not running rich or you will just replace the cat again in a few months.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:02 PM

i agree wih sweetzrag,if its the cat then your lucky.Gut the bad boy
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 PM

I LIVE IN CALI, KINDA NEED THE CAT ,why would it only make the noise in drive it doesnt do it wen its in N and i rev it to 2k
Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 PM

Yeah no **** livin in Cali can really be a drag when fixin cars.im thinking it has to be something with the tranny because its only doing it while in drive...I live in NC we aint as strict,lol..if it was doing it in n and p id say other wise but thats kinda tricky..thats hard to tell when it comes to trannys and stuff,if you can check the other stuff i told you or you may have to break down and take it to the shop."i know that sucks"
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by corbraeater
I LIVE IN CALI, KINDA NEED THE CAT ,why would it only make the noise in drive it doesnt do it wen its in N and i rev it to 2k
My buddy who owns a muffler shop had me put it in gear (auto) with my foot on the break while he layed on the ground next to the car (not under it!) and he had me give it a little gas. That's when we could hear the rattle while the car was not moving. This might help you isolate if it is the cat or not.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM

what ended up being wrong with your car, SweetZRag
Old 11-28-2005, 01:43 PM

My case was the element inside the cat. I gutted it until it came time for emmissions inspection and then I replaced the cat.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:35 PM

I've got pacesetter long tubes with an offroad y-pipe and 3" all the way back and at specific RPMs there is a rattle/vibration that comes from the rear passenger side -- I've come to the conclusion its something that when at the certain frequency of the exhaust at that RPM it just makes it rattle.

I'm too lazy to investigate further..

Quick Reply: weird rattle