LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Well, looks like I'm pulling my intake off again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:19 PM

the bolts are a GREAT idea. and I will be doing that when it comes time to put mine on.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 05:48 PM

Well, the install pictures didn't happen; I got into that "get 'er dun" zone and forgot to use my camera.

But I know that the back is now sealed. I used modeling clay to see how big the gap was and where it was located. Found out it's a bit less than 1/8". So I made a 1/4" bead right where the intake rests, and it squished out in a satisfactory way.

That "The Right Stuff" sealant does have the consistency of tar! It was firm enough to stand up and make a nice bead, but stickier then molasses. Now, let's hope the next time I have to deal with it is when the motor is coming out to be rebuild/upgraded... Or when I install ported heads and a cam this winter, whichever comes first.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Man what a bummer............................. Hope your atleast keeping her cleaned and waxed weekly.............?.....
Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Yeah, when I'm not working on her...

This morning it's the rear brake calipers. Passenger side was sticking after I put in the new ceramic shoes, so both are being changed.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
This morning it's the rear brake calipers. Passenger side was sticking after I put in the new ceramic shoes, so both are being changed.
the fun never stops
Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM

I bought a couple of threaded rods from the hardware store to line up the intake. It worked much better than just slapping it on and I wasn't going to change getting a piece of wooden dowel stuck in one of the heads.

I've done this 3 times and never had the need to use anything other than regular RTV. I prefer the Permatex Copper because of the high heat capability. I used it on the slip joint for my Hooker LT's and it's holding up just fine.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM

I slid my intake on the back a little when I installed it....still didnt leak...thats just how good the right stuff is.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Well, car was all done yesterday, and this morning it passed the 52 mile commute test drive with flying colors. Not a drop of oil on the ground.

Although, when I washed the engine down last night before I put it away, it was running really crappy and was giving me the 'high res signal lost' code. Guess the opti got wet, although I don't know how. It's new, sealed tightly, and I didn't go crazy spraying water on it.

Dried out overnight and is running fine now with no codes.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Well, car was all done yesterday, and this morning it passed the 52 mile commute test drive with flying colors. Not a drop of oil on the ground.

Although, when I washed the engine down last night before I put it away, it was running really crappy and was giving me the 'high res signal lost' code. Guess the opti got wet, although I don't know how. It's new, sealed tightly, and I didn't go crazy spraying water on it.

Dried out overnight and is running fine now with no codes.
now why would you spray down your engine with water . seems like all these "problems" your having are user error. thats just asking for trouble.

Last edited by Pontiac_97; 07-08-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM

haha wtf dude? You decided to spray it w/ water? Sometimes I get worried going through car washes about the opti, I cant image taking a hose anywhere in the engine bay.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM

Pontiac 97: KMA. Why spray my engine with water? I don't know... Maybe to rinse off the simple green I sprayed on it to wash all the damn oil off after it leaked from the intake?

As far as my 'problems'... The car is 14 years old, it's going to have quirks. I'm not complaining too much, only grumbling when I have to go back and re-do something. I post the quirks I run into and the fixes I came up with to possibly help someone else later on. As far as user error... Well, everyone makes mistakes. If you don't make mistakes you probably ain't trying.

Jazun: Yeah, I wanted to wash all the oil off of the back of the block with simple green and a little bit of garden hose work. Once everything dried out, the car ran fine. Live and learn, I guess.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM

well you came out good then

I love simple green and jungle jake.. both great degreasers. I them to clean almost everything at work.

only problem is I go threw alot of it. I never add water.. lol. I like it strong.. well I do ad a little water, but not enuff
Old 07-09-2008, 03:26 AM

Geez people it's not a cardinal sin to wash the engine bay with water. You just have to be real careful on where to direct the flow of spray. I've done this with mine since new, even at car washes and never had a problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:58 PM

I had the same leak @ intake rear twice. Then, I did the following...
Machined a small groove in the rear intake manifold that would retain a bead of sealant (used dremel bit 1/32" groove).
Roughed up the china wall surface on the block.
Let the sealant set-up for over 1/2 hour before manifold assembly to the block.
Torqued the manifold after 12 hours.
It has not leaked since.
A friend has a Gen 1, and, his manifold uses a purchased rubber gasket seal.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM

Don't listen to these guy's , keep that car looking clean. Maybe one day it will end up back in my hands.

Quick Reply: Well, looks like I'm pulling my intake off again...