LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 05:01 PM

what is this?

while my car was on the dyno i noticed that the drivers rear wheel wobbles a little bit when spinning. i didnt think too much of it until i changed out the rear brake pads this weekend and now i get a really loud squeaking from the brakes on that side...what could be causing this? is the axle or something other major bent that would be causing this? any suggestions on how to get rid of this horrendous squeaking?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:07 PM

Is it a squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak or one long squeak???

My apologies for such a dumb sounding question...

If it's the squeak-squeak-squeak sound, and if it goes faster as you go faster, it may be that the piston in the caliper is not releasing anymore.

I don't have a suggestion for the long squeak sound however.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:19 PM

yeah its a repetitive sqeaks thats gets faster when i accelerate =/
Old 08-18-2003, 07:28 PM

Does it stop when you apply the brakes???

If it does, then the caliper piston is sticking.

Mine is doing the same thing. I am not sure yet if there is a "rebuild kit," which is replacing the gaskets of the caliper.
Chances are, you and I are going to have to buy a new/refurbished caliper.

Unless anyone else out there has another suggestion/solution???
Old 08-18-2003, 09:28 PM

yeah it completely goes away when i apply the brakes...that is a bummer about if the caliper isjacked..oh well..thanks for the info..much appreciated
Old 08-18-2003, 11:33 PM

Well if your wheel wobbles, either the wheel is bent, out of balance, or your axle is bent, what it's doin is the caliper bracket rubs on the rotor, mine would constantly squeak snd stop when the brake was applyed, ended up being a bent axle.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:04 PM

I just came back from PepBoys got a rebuilt left front caliper for $38.78, and that even includes a core charge of $18.00! So total, including tax for the rebuilt caliper is $20.78...
CHEAP!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by $hawn
Well if your wheel wobbles, either the wheel is bent, out of balance, or your axle is bent, what it's doin is the caliper bracket rubs on the rotor, mine would constantly squeak snd stop when the brake was applyed, ended up being a bent axle.
THAT's a bummer. How does a solid rear axle like ours get bent? Did you run over something??? That's pretty unusual...
Old 08-19-2003, 06:12 PM

Not sure how mine got bent, it was like that when I bought it, somebody must of smacked a curb or something, there not totally solid, theres still a little movement, but would take something kinda hard to bent it though.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:54 PM

so...what kind of work are we talking about replacing a axle? is that a whole new rear end ?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:17 PM

Your problem may not be a bent axle, may even be as simple as a warped rotor, or the low brake pad indicator if there even on the back ones? You can just swap an axle and not the whole rear end, but better left for a professional to do. Also theres some shims that go between the caliper bracket and axle housing usually those can solve the problem.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:55 PM

much appreciated =)..i'll start saving up for a good brake setup while she's tucked away in the garage this winter and hopefully that will fix it..thx for the info folks.