LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What after market gauges you run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:18 AM

I'm running Autometer gauges. A mechanical tranny temp and electrical fuel pressure in the piller pod and a mechanical N2O pressure in the center AC vent.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by S.J.S.
.... When you hook it up to the fuse box like that, did you have to run a toggle switch or something to turn it off and on?
No switch. The "IGN" connection is "switched" +12V power. The power turns on and off with the key. Great for things like gauge lights, gauge power supplies, etc which need to be "on" only when the key is turned to "on". Of course for the lights you could also come off the headlight switch or dimmer switch as we have discussed.

Also I like the hook up for the oil sensor but I dont get it. You drilled all the way though the oil pan bolt?
Yes, you drill a hole all the way through the oil drain plug, then you tap the hole with threads so the sensor can be screwed into it, exposing the tip of the sensor to the oil in the pan. I didn't come up with this idea... the shop that assembled my motor did it.

I just take pictures of this stuff and talk about it so people think I know what I am doing..... .

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-11-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 AM

Re: What after market gauges you run?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
No switch. The "IGN" connection is "switched" +12V power. The power turns on and off with the key. Great for things like gauge lights, gauge power supplies, etc which need to be "on" only when the key is turned to "on". Of course for the lights you could also come off the headlight switch or dimmer switch as we have discussed.

Yes, you drill a hole all the way through the oil drain plug, then you tap the hole with threads so the sensor can be screwed into it, exposing the tip of the sensor to the oil in the pan. I didn't come up with this idea... the shop that assembled my motor did it.

I just take pictures of this stuff and talk about it so people think I know what I am doing..... .
Wow... trick set up. I have the parts to install the C4 oil temp sender to the PCM for getting oil temp in the data-stream, but this is a nice place for a cockpit gauge... although it looks like I'll need to do without the magnetic-drain plug. <shrug>
Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
Wow... trick set up. I have the parts to install the C4 oil temp sender to the PCM for getting oil temp in the data-stream, but this is a nice place for a cockpit gauge... although it looks like I'll need to do without the magnetic-drain plug. <shrug>
Elaborate please.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Serene
Elaborate please.
Corvette's have both a oil pressure sensor (like F-bodies) as well as a oil TEMPERTURE sensor.

GM code being as universal as it is, you'll notice that the "oil temp" values in the OBDII datastream are always a low constent temp (like -87 or sumthing) because this sensor is missing.

The GM tune is set up to account for this lack of info, however it's not turned off totally, and as such the newer versions of LT1_Edit can actually use this sensor input for tuning if you wish (or so I've read, havn't installed the sensor yet... I belive it can be used to control fan operation).

This is what you need:
GM Part# 10096136 (Oil temp sending unit)
GM Part# 12102748 (Oil temp sending unit harness)

Here's some info I have saved from a year or so ago, unsure who wrote it though so I don't know where to send Q's if you have any. It was taken from the LT1_Edit email list so you can start there if you need any additional info. My main motivation for this "upgrade" is to have the oil temp in the OBDII datastream for logging/tuning purposes.

The sending unit has three terminals on it, but you'll only need to
use terminal C (the other two are for the "Change Oil Soon" feature
in the Vette). Wire Terminal C from the sending unit to the PCM at
Blue pin 26. The sensor is installed in the block just above the
oil filter adapter boss. Some folks have already used this port for
oil pressure sending units and oil feeds for blowers/turbos, so you
may have to get creative with routing.