LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What can datalogging tell you exactly with low rpm power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:56 PM

What can datalogging tell you exactly with low rpm power loss?

Assuming I fix all the stuff I KNOW to be a problem and I still have a power loss, what all could a datalog tell someone?

Have there been people that did everything they could think of including datalogging and still have hesitation and low power problems? I've seen posts on here with people complaining about similar things over the course of say a year and still never find their problem.

Im afraid of being one of these people as I think I'd want to sell the car than to keep putting money into it hoping I could get it fixed. I know I'm panicing early here but still.

Anyways, what do I need to buy to do a few of these. I already have a laptop. Is there any kind of learning curve operating these softwares?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:33 PM

I guess to be more specific, does the datalogging program also tell you if you're throwing any codes?

Can you diagnose a vaccum leak?

Anything else?

I replaced the EVAP fitting that was dry rotted on my throttle body. It drove fine now, I actually broke tires loose on dry pavement and spun all the way through 2nd and part of 3rd on the flat. Though it has done this before right after I fixed my intake elbow.

Just in case though, I think I would still like to do some datalogging and sharing it with people here just to be safe. So I would appreciate some feedback.

Also I apologize if this should be in the computer section more than in the LT1, if so Injuneer could you please move it and I will post these related questions in there from now on.

Thanks

Chris
Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 PM

Your problems are all related to intake leaks AFTER the MAF, which will certainly screw of the way the car runs at idle, and just off idle.

Datalogging for an LT1 tends to be on the expensive side; you need a program (which typically you have to own to record the data) and a cable to connect the data port on the car to either USB or serial port on your laptop. Pretty much any codes can be viewed and cleared, and pretty much anything the PCM looks at can be monitored, recorded, and graphed.

We're a lot more limited in availability of dataloggers that do more than feed the raw data into a spreadsheet than the LS1 guys.

Of course, you still need to know enough to interpret the data.