LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What Can I Do to improve my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 08:06 PM

What Can I Do to improve my brakes?

Can I get afters market rotors and pads for a couple hundred bucks? I want some cross drilled ones. Anyone got any they can reccomend?
Old 04-27-2003, 08:17 PM

check out Jegs and they have crossdrilled and slotted rotors

or you can look for powerslot rotors but i think each rotor goes for about $100 so if you have 17" rims i would just go get a set of baer brakes with the 13" rotors and 6 piston calipers(wilwood brakes makes a complete set as well for 4th gen cars)
Old 04-27-2003, 08:24 PM

How much are the sets?
Old 04-27-2003, 08:28 PM

i'm of the school that you will get much better results from better pads then better rotors. ebc greenstuff (i think that's what they're called) pads help out a lot. i actually just installed performance friction carbon metallic pads from autozone and it got rid of all the fade i was experiencing. the best bang for the buck is the ls1 brake upgrade though. do a search on that but i think the parts are getting harder and harder to come by.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:39 PM

I have powerslots on the front. They are alittle better than the stockers . Belive it or not going to the raybestos " red "pads greatly improved stopping distance and fade for me.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:07 PM

Can you get the c4 corvette brakes with the grand sport calipers on the lt1 f-body? seems like it would be better than just ls1 f-body brakes but less expensive than the c5 upgrade...just wondering....
Old 04-27-2003, 09:20 PM

Steel brake lines, and better than stock pads in front - steel lines RULE. Good time to change out the fluid too.

Can you get the c4 corvette brakes with the grand sport calipers on the lt1 f-body? seems like it would be better than just ls1 f-body brakes but less expensive than the c5 upgrade...
Need to buy brackets or have some made for you, the C4 brakes are "the same" as the Baer Track Kit.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:20 PM

Yea my brakes blow too....I haven't driven the car all winter but they just don't seem very effective. I can still remember how awesome the brakes were on my 99 Formula. I have new (well recent) rotors, ceramic pads, and hoses....I think they're just too small/ineffecient caliper. Who has a Wilwood/Baer kit on their car?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by 94z'sson
check out Jegs and they have crossdrilled and slotted rotors
Do yourself a favor and dont buy them
Old 04-28-2003, 01:03 AM

Cool

Cross drilled,great if you are going over 160mph,and need to stop better(heat thing).Factory pads seem to work better than after market.Coors beer is better than Milwalkii.Bud is better than Canadian beer.Depends who you talk to.Actually the factory stuff works very well(depends on the driver to).My02
Old 04-28-2003, 01:18 AM

Yea, there has been great controversy on the cross drilled rotors. I personally just got a set of powerslot rotors for the front/back b/c i got a good deal on them from a guy i know...
Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by chesee48
Yea, there has been great controversy on the cross drilled rotors. I personally just got a set of powerslot rotors for the front/back b/c i got a good deal on them from a guy i know...
so what is better then slotted rotors, or drilled?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:33 AM

I've heard the slotted rotors tend to crack under harsh conditions or after some aging.

I am moving to AZ this summer, which is hot as hell, so if I got the cross drilled rotors the heat dispersian may help a little.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by irocdreamer
I've heard the slotted rotors tend to crack under harsh conditions or after some aging.

I am moving to AZ this summer, which is hot as hell, so if I got the cross drilled rotors the heat dispersian may help a little.
yeah it looks like the drilled ones would keep yr rotor's from heating up to badly, but what about stopping power, guess you cant have the best of both
Old 04-28-2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Fatdog
Cross drilled,great if you are going over 160mph
Cross drilled belong on a show car. Cryo them if you want them to last and you need the bling, or get a Porsche setup, those aren't drilled they are cast.

Drilled rotors do not help aleviate heat, a rotor is a heatsink - the more mass the heatsink has the more it can absorb and thusly in turn dissipate. If you cut peices of it away, then you are reducing its mass. Drilled rotors were for olden day pads that outgassed, thats not an issue any longer.

Look at some race cars sometime, and tell me what kind of rotors you see, flat and vented, with ducts.

Uneven cooling on a solid rotor will lead to warpage, uneven cooling on a drilled rotor will lead to cracking - which is exactly what they do.

Quick Reply: What Can I Do to improve my brakes?