LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What causes that popping sound in our exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:23 PM

Re: What causes that popping sound in our exhaust?

True duals solve all problems.... and no, im not biased

Old 11-06-2004, 10:47 PM

ive always heard its because of the y pipe, the merging of two pipes into one pipe just creates a situation that pops, pretty much the reason why duals eliminate the popping.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 AM

Is that the end? Or any more input?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:20 AM

Mine stopped popping after pacesetter LTs + magnaflow cat + magnaflow catback
Old 11-08-2004, 02:52 AM

I still have the full stock exhuast on my car (94 Z28) and ive never heard it pop like that before, and apparently i never will since im putting LT's and true duals on my car in a couple weeks but as far as my previous car.. 95 firebird, stock other than a flowmaster 80 series flipped, and it sounded good idling but popped worse than popcorn after any kind of revving... still amazes me how many compliments i got on that setup lmao (though i also got as many complaints of my "fast driving".. funny i drive faster in my Z and no one notices ) ah well just my 2 cents
Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 AM

Not enough air getting in and burning(pop) when it finally gets to the outside air. If you have a cai and still stock exhaust, it is really bad. I found once i got my full exhaust on, it pretty much stoped.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:17 AM

I have LTs and purple horny header mufflers and if I rev it and let off it won,t pop and cackle but if I leave it in 3rd and accelrate to about 50 and then let off it won,t pop either but if I lightly press on the go pedal I get a nice grumble,pop,pop,pop....... I love the way that sounds and it gets so many looks.
In my case I am deliberately introducing extra fuel into the exhaust on decelration and it explodes when it gets into the exhaust.
I love the way it sounds but then again I seem to like alot of the old school stuff on my newer car.
Older musclecars also did this with glasspack type mufflers.
I agree that the fox body mustangs with 2 chamber Flowmasters do sound badass but I needed to go fast and sound relatively cool.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 AM

Red face Re: What causes that popping sound in our exhaust?

YOU GUYS NEED TO LISTEN TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO KNOW> IT is the Fuel in the exhaust. IT gets more fuel in there and it hits the hot exhaust parts and pops. The freeer flowing will make it happen more. The thing that would solve it would be a better air/fuel ratio. LAter guys.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by djk19

YOU GUYS NEED TO LISTEN TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO KNOW> IT is the Fuel in the exhaust. IT gets more fuel in there and it hits the hot exhaust parts and pops. The freeer flowing will make it happen more. The thing that would solve it would be a better air/fuel ratio. LAter guys.
Ill second that. Just got a maganflow exhaust put on, was barely noticable with the stock exhaust. Was VERY noticable with the new CAT and managaflow exhaust on.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:53 AM

I RUN THE STAINLESS MAGNAFLOW SYSTEM. IT ROCKS> BEST SYSTEM I.M.O. unless going bigger then 3 inch....
Old 11-09-2004, 02:16 AM

WHOOOAAA...What kind of setup can you get that'll give you a TRUE dual exhaust?! That's be GREAT! I gotta 3rd gen I'm getting ready to stuff an LT1 in, and nothing would make me happier than to finally have a car that sounds as good as a freakin' Mustang! I can't stand it! I've heard some Z's and F-birds that sounded pretty doggon good, but they pale in comparison to a good 5.0/4.6 with flows (or straights!). I saw what looked to be a perfect setup on a stock '92 Z-28/L98. It had two pipes instead of that stinkin' Y-Piece of crap, two cats, and then it joined into one exhaust. It looked like it would be a possible true-dual candidate, but even then you have to run everything down that stupid tight-side tunnel. How the heck are you supposed to get a good exhaust under a car like that? The 4th-gens are the same deal. I don't get it, but that definitely is the story behind the poppin and cracking. Want proof? I have a buddy that has stuffed an LT1 into a '78 Z-28. Everything is the SAME as a '93-'97 Z28, except for the exhausts! The 2nd-gen Camaros/Firebirds used the conventional tru-dual exhaust setup (two headers/manifolds, two cats, two mufflers, and two pipes (one on the right, one on the left). His car sounds twice as good as the guy across the street who has a LS1 WS6 AND a LS1 SS. They sound good, but sound like Astro Vans compared to that '78.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:32 PM

Haha.. great. Does anyone have a definite answer?

It seems half are sure that it is the y-pipe/single exhaust and the other half are sure that it is the fuel in the exhaust

So is the answer a better tune to fix the air/fuel ratio or is it a dual exhaust???

Just curious...
Old 11-09-2004, 05:49 PM

WHAT A RETARDED QUESTZION> IT IS THE FUEL

THE FUEL!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:18 PM

It's definately the fuel. My exhaust pops all the time on decel, especially after the tune. It's definately running richer now than it was stock. If I tip into the throttle during decel it'll pop even more. I actually kind of like it. It's not hurting anything, so I just let it be.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:54 PM

I can tell you from experiance (just fixed this last weekend) that eliminating the air pump almost completly eliminates the popping. I just gutted my cat and put a Hooker cat back on. The popping went from just noticable with the stock exhaust to horrible with the free flowing exhaust. I didnt remove the pump from the car, I just dont use it. I disconnected the hoses from the pipe coming off the top of the exhaust manifold and capped them with heater hose caps from Murray's Auto. (2.99 and fit perfect). I unplugged the air pump and plugged the hose attachment on the air intake. My car sounds GREAT now but does still "pop" a tiny bit.

Quick Reply: What causes that popping sound in our exhaust?