LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what counts is the iac supposed to start and idle at?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM

what counts is the iac supposed to start and idle at?

Ive been questioning my iac valve. It doesnt operate consistant(via datalogging). Ive had it between 130 and 4 counts at idle. Most of the time on cold start its 130ish and eventually drops to 90. I also have times it dont want to drop and will high idle(2000rpm) I have times when the count and the memory count is so far off it will stall at a stop without feathering gas. There are also times it wont increase in counts with higher revs. I have had it out and cleaned the pintle(whole thing very dirty). I dont want to buy another if I dont have too but sure seams like I may have too. Is there anything you can clean and or lube it with so it wont stick? I have read Freds pcm tutorial and mine has only dropped to single digits one time in all of my monitering(probably ly 15 times and 3hours worth). Any input would be appreciated. I assume if I do need to replace it is the ac delco the desirable choice? Was quoted like $160 for it and thats with the guy at dealership giving a price cut. Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Re: what counts is the iac supposed to start and idle at?

When it's idling at 2,000 rpm, what does the PCM do with the IAC counts to try adjust the rpm? They should drop. If counts drop and RPM doesn't, then the IAC motor isn't responding. Have you checked the resistance of the coils? How did you clean the pintle? Did you attempt to move it? Have you tried cleaning the IAC plate passages?

Given the engine you list in your signature, you've had the PCM tuned. One of the tables is idle speed vs. coolant temp. That provides an increased idle speed on very cold starts. Stock programming has a max RPM of 1,200 at sub-zero coolant temps. Do you have any idea if the programmer adjusted that table? What is the idle set at in the program for full operating temp?

Based on your other active thread it appears you are having trouble with idle air flow through an unidentified brand of throttle body. You indicate the air was not even directed to the IAC, and the passage was also blocked by your nitrous plate, in which case it would render the IAC control useless, and then that you opened up a passage, or something. It's sort of hard to answer this question in light of the issues you've posted in the other thread.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When it's idling at 2,000 rpm, what does the PCM do with the IAC counts to try adjust the rpm? They should drop. If counts drop and RPM doesn't, then the IAC motor isn't responding. Have you checked the resistance of the coils? How did you clean the pintle? Did you attempt to move it? Have you tried cleaning the IAC plate passages?

.................................................. .................................................
Im sorry I forgot to include a few helpful details. When starting cold(after driven 15 miles to get home and sits overnight) it fires up and idles 1200rpm ish and then drops. The counts dont seem to move at all until after warm and have a few miles on it(no movement reguardless of rpm and at 130 counts which is what it is at before startup). Then what it does most of the time is 12 miles from there(all highway) I hit a stoplight and that is when it wants to idle around 2000rpm. If i stab the throttle it will usually kick down(like a sticky choke).

The counts once they begin to move are very sluggish and eventually start to move what i assume to be closer to normal(will rapidly climb with rpm). When its like this idle behaves well(moving rapidly with rpm changes). From what I recall when 2000rpm idle the counts stay at the same spot as does the rpm(will watch closer to confirm this) until I stab the throttle then most of the time it will drop but only 7 counts or so but the rpm will drop.

I have not checked the coils(havent read or seen anything about that in my searches) please explain or direct me.

I cleaned the pintle with throttle body cleaner and paper towel.

I did not try to move it.

The throttle body was new and the manifold was cleaned so all that should have been fine.

Car sat for over two and a half years before putting this iac into new tb.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Given the engine you list in your signature, you've had the PCM tuned. One of the tables is idle speed vs. coolant temp. That provides an increased idle speed on very cold starts. Stock programming has a max RPM of 1,200 at sub-zero coolant temps. Do you have any idea if the programmer adjusted that table? What is the idle set at in the program for full operating temp?
.................................................. ..................................................

Yes pcm is tuned and not sure if any adjustments were made there but the way it starts and idles in the morning is normal(or close)

__________________________________________________ _____________
Based on your other active thread it appears you are having trouble with idle air flow through an unidentified brand of throttle body. You indicate the air was not even directed to the IAC, and the passage was also blocked by your nitrous plate, in which case it would render the IAC control useless, and then that you opened up a passage, or something. It's sort of hard to answer this question in light of the issues you've posted in the other thread.
.................................................. ..................................................

Throttle body is 58mm tpis. Yes the tpis tb is like the other 58mm tb ive seen and just dumps the iac air behind the butterflys and they had the blades slightly open. The nitrous plate had a 1/4" hole that would let some air in the iac passage but because of the design of the aftermarket tb actually restriced it(would work with stock tb). I closed the blades and reset the tps. Then I plugged the opening that would dump the iac air behind the butterflys by using a brass tube(rifle casing). That forces the iac air to go into the iac passage. I opened the hole through the nitrous plate to 1/2" and the brass tube feeds through it. Then i drilled from the front of throttle body straight through into were the 1/2 tube is. This mimmicks the stock throttle body so to speak and is what many people do to help split blms at idle and low rpm.

Last edited by slick1hunting; 02-07-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Make easier to read.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 AM

I found this with a better formatted search. http://shbox.com/1/iac2.jpg
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Administrator

And all the numbers you are mentioning... idle speed, IAC counts, etc..... were they observed BEFORE of AFTER you attempted to get the air to flow into the IAC passage?

What does this mean:

"When its like this idle behaves well(moving rapidly with rpm changes). "

Do you mean the IAC moves correctly to control the RPM?

Have you checked the throttle linkage to make sure its not binding when it gets hot?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM

And all the numbers you are mentioning... idle speed, IAC counts, etc..... were they observed BEFORE of AFTER you attempted to get the air to flow into the IAC passage?

What does this mean:

"When its like this idle behaves well(moving rapidly with rpm changes). "

Do you mean the IAC moves correctly to control the RPM?

Have you checked the throttle linkage to make sure its not binding when it gets hot?
It behaved that way both before and after modifying the tb. It seems to stick(or be very sluggish) after maintaining a steady rpm.............. yes when the iac counts are responsive and not moving sluggish(or at all) the rpm drop great and hold a good steady idle. I tend to dump the clutch and coast in neutral alot when approaching stop signs and lights and its really noticable then as rpms will often raise between 1500-2000 and not want to drop or drop roughly 300-400. The only real consistant thing is when it does this the iac counts are sluggish or not moving at all as I press on gas pedal.............. I have not checked for any sticking of the linkage but will next time I am at a place I can stop as its high idleing . I have not felt anything in the pedal to indicate any sticking but will eliminate the possibility............... I will also check the coil resistance tonight............... I read somewere that you can pull the iac valve and have it plugged in and key on and watch for movement. Is there any truth in that or any reason to try it?. I feel mine moves but am starting to assume it sticks and even consider if it moves as much as it should. Ive also noticed the counts havent been very consistant. It really seems like it cant move much when first started and then as it moves it gains range of motion(but only if its kept moving). It is really affected by steady rpm not wanting to move much but with alot of varying rpm and throttle the counts are very responsive and it seems to work as intended.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM

This may not be your scenario, but it's normal for RPMs to stay up when you push in the clutch and before you come to a stop. You may notice that when you finally get stopped, that the idle does come down (even my automatic does this to an extent). Many people complain about this, but there is a function in the PCM called the "throttle follower" that does this. It is meant to keep the engine from stalling when the TB blades suddenly close.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
This may not be your scenario, but it's normal for RPMs to stay up when you push in the clutch and before you come to a stop. You may notice that when you finally get stopped, that the idle does come down (even my automatic does this to an extent). Many people complain about this, but there is a function in the PCM called the "throttle follower" that does this. It is meant to keep the engine from stalling when the TB blades suddenly close.
Yep very aware. Had manuals since 93 and have always coasted. Its similar to normal except nearly 500 rpm higher(the other times it doesnt want to drop). Sometimes its normal. It is really so inconsistant I dont know what its going to do. This morning it was normal-ish just 200+ rpm higher. My tp sensor also showed closed so thats some indication its not in the throttle linkage.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by slick1hunting
. Ive also noticed the counts havent been very consistant. It really seems like it cant move much when first started and then as it moves it gains range of motion(but only if its kept moving). It is really affected by steady rpm not wanting to move much but with alot of varying rpm and throttle the counts are very responsive and it seems to work as intended.
You do understand that the "counts" are the position the PCM is telling the IAC valve to go to? It is not the actual position of the valve. There is no feedback from the valve to the PCM.

I'm not sure how it could "work as intended" if the IAC passage was blocked as you indicated, before you opened it up. Something doesn't make sense if the PCM has been changing the IAC counts and the IAC has been controlling the idle, even with the passage blocked.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM

You do understand that the "counts" are the position the PCM is telling the IAC valve to go to? It is not the actual position of the valve. There is no feedback from the valve to the PCM.

I'm not sure how it could "work as intended" if the IAC passage was blocked as you indicated, before you opened it up. Something doesn't make sense if the PCM has been changing the IAC counts and the IAC has been controlling the idle, even with the passage blocked.
Im not aware at all how it works lol. I have been going off of your description I will post below. Mine behaves nothing like that may be the difference in logging software.......................... I think we have a slight misunderstanding as the iac being plugged. The iac has never been plugged it just didnt put the air in the passage in the intake(I call that the iac passage way ) so rather than dumping the air behind the butterflies(which wouldnt really supply any of the air in the intake passage) I directed it to the passage in the intake so it would supply air in the passage in the intake. The small hole in the nitrous plate would just cause a restriction if any of the air would have been sucked in the passageway in the intake(would have worked with a tb that didnt dump air behind the tb. I can post a link that shows this with a bbk tb................................................ ............ I did check resistance last night and it was in spec........... so if the counts are were the pcm is telling it to go why would it not move as you go from say 2000rpm - 1000rpm or not move as you give it gas at idle or why would it stay at 130 for several minutes of city driving. Anything I should look at or check or try? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM

This is from your tutorial and my counts are vastly different looking............... IAC (Idle Air Control):

The Idle Air Control is a little stepper motor that moves a pintle in and out of a hole in the throttle body,and allows air to bypass the throttle blades,and enter the intake manifold. This is required to allow the car to idle when the throttle blades are completely closed (as they should be). The PCM plays with the IAC motor to keep the idle at spec,800rpm for M6's and 650rpm for A4's. The ScanMaster reads the "position" of the valve motor,which can range from "1" to "255". At idle, you should see roughly "20" to "40" (this is fomr my M6,idling at 800rpm). And,it should be steady. Any lower and you probably have a vacuum leak,or the throttle return stop screw on the throttle body is preventing the blades from fully closing. If you see numbers higher than this at idle,it is possible you have a dirty IAC motor pintle which is not moving correctly,or plugged air passages leading to the IAC motor. If you have installed a throttle boy airfoil,it is possible it is blocking air flow through the opening that supplies air to the IAC system.

When you start to drive,the IAC value will start to rise. This is done in order to keep enough air flowing into the manifold that if you suddenly let off on the throttle,and let the blades fully closed,there will be enough air to keep the motor from stalling,and provides air to minimize pollutants. The counts I have seen under cruising and WOT conditions are in the range of 60 - 100.

The IAC motor is located at the base of the throttle body,on the passenger side. The PCM stores the "learned" idle position,so that it can return to this value quickly,in order to control idle. This stored value can be "lost" if the power to the PCM is lost,and idle may hunt a bit on startup until the value is relearned.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM

This link shows the way the 58mm dump the air behind the butterfies rather than in the passage in the intake like the stock tb. I didnt fill the gap with a spacer I used brass tubing to do the same function. http://m.ls1tech.com/forums/showthre...325&styleid=25

Last edited by slick1hunting; 02-08-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Administrator

It might not move if the pintle is stuck or damaged. You indicate you cleaned it off with a paper towel. A soft brush would have been a better choice. The factory manual cautions that moving the pintle on a used IAC valve can damage it.

The pintle could be moving, but the passages may be plugged.

You seem to be suggesting the problem is my writeup. That was made specifically for a STOCK engine. Once you start changing things - stroker, cam, PCM reprogram, redirecting air to other places, aftermarket throttle body - you can't hold me responsible for what I wrote not reflecting the way your engine runs. You have a radically altered engine. The programmer may have tried to change things. The IAC opens up as RPM to prevent the engine from stalling if the throttle blades suddenly close. Maybe the programmer changed the settings. Maybe the programmer changed the throttle follower table that Rob/Shoebox mentioned. I have no way of knowing. Have you discussed these problems with the programmer?

I also don't think that the fact the "tp sensor also showed closed so thats some indication its not in the throttle linkage." is the best way to check the blades for sluggish movement. Have you physically observed the blades? Have you checked to see if they are stuck open, even slightly? Has the throttle stop screw ever been adjusted?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM

It might not move if the pintle is stuck or damaged. You indicate you cleaned it off with a paper towel. A soft brush would have been a better choice. The factory manual cautions that moving the pintle on a used IAC valve can damage it.

The pintle could be moving, but the passages may be plugged.

You seem to be suggesting the problem is my writeup. That was made specifically for a STOCK engine. Once you start changing things - stroker, cam, PCM reprogram, redirecting air to other places, aftermarket throttle body - you can't hold me responsible for what I wrote not reflecting the way your engine runs. You have a radically altered engine. The programmer may have tried to change things. The IAC opens up as RPM to prevent the engine from stalling if the throttle blades suddenly close. Maybe the programmer changed the settings. Maybe the programmer changed the throttle follower table that Rob/Shoebox mentioned. I have no way of knowing. Have you discussed these problems with the programmer?

I also don't think that the fact the "tp sensor also showed closed so thats some indication its not in the throttle linkage." is the best way to check the blades for sluggish movement. Have you physically observed the blades? Have you checked to see if they are stuck open, even slightly? Has the throttle stop screw ever been adjusted?
Im sorry if it appeared that I anyway suggested your write-up was anything more than the only piece of information I have of how things should work. Ill say it another way, I have no understanding of how it works and was using your writeup as a comparison between what the numbers show on mine vs what you shared. Mine has no real consistancy except its inconsistant lol based upon what I am looking at. But I dont really know what im looking at so im trying the best I can to determine if its worth replacing.................. fully understand my motor is far from stock setup and will be different and have bugs to work out. I do know there are quite a few similar setups so many of the bugs have been potentially worked out by others with far more understanding than me.................I have not discussed things with the tuner yet as far as the idle not dropping as have been focused on why the fuel trim was maxed at idle and have slowly made progress with that and with the extra miles ive driven have noticed this issue much more(plus ive been data monitering every time I drive)........ last night it did throw a code on the iac circuit(I wrote it down and cleared the code to see if it would come back). It also set a code about the o2 sensor and forced it into open loop. I am not sure why it did that (o2)but it was very rainy and alot of water on the road so wondering if have a bad spot on my wiring(ive tried to look and feel as someone suggested that could be part of my rich condition and fuel trims).... as far as the linkage and tp sensor i only used that as a guage as i couldnt jump out at the stop light and check and it didnt high idle yet as i had a chance to visibly look. That was because i was not ignoring your advice(as many do) i was just trying to do what i could at the only times it happened that day. The linkage works very good and i did adjust stop screw. I am just waiting for when its high idleing so i can get out and observe linkage is againts the stop screw as i assumed thats what your suggestion is as i have observed it motor under normal idle.........again I am sorry if it appeared I had anything but respect and admiration for your knowledge and willingness to help. Im just trying to get my car back to being able to drive and enjoy it as it had been down for quite some time...........im wondering if I could have damaged it when I switched it over if it was extended and I pushed it in.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Get a data log in a format that we can open, and post it on an ftp site. That way we will have a better chance of sorting this out.

Quick Reply: what counts is the iac supposed to start and idle at?